Mindset of this Team??

One thing i noticed in Carver before the Wisconsin game. After they announced starting lineups, they were huddled up right before tip off and Uthoff was in the middle of the huddle screaming to the team. I had to take a double take because i was so surprised he had that in him. I'm hoping he and Jok are the team leaders next year.
God, I don't. Uthoff has the passion of a vampire. The dude doesn't look like he has a heartbeat. If that's the guy that's supposed to be pumping the team up it's no wonder they don't come out on fire...

God, I don't. Uthoff has the passion of a vampire. The dude doesn't look like he has a heartbeat. If that's the guy that's supposed to be pumping the team up it's no wonder they don't come out on fire...

That's what i thought too until I saw him do that. Guys as quiet as i thought Uthoff was don't have it in them to do what he was doing. Hell, it fired me up and i was in row 33.

I am sick of hearing this. This is just a way of saying "we are just little ole Iowa" in football. Stop explaining mediocrity. This team is not where it should be. If it takes more than 4 years to turn around a college basketball program, then it ain't gonna happen.

Try this on for size.
Iowa 5 years prior to Fran: 80-80, 35-51 conference
Other team in state same 5: 75-82, 24-56 conference

Since then Iowa: 89-73, 36-48
Other team: 108-53, 45-37

Yes Lickliter sucked, but that doesn't excuse the sucktitude since.
Amen brother. It's not like we are bringing in some high powered recruits to save the program is. We are what we are, and that's mediocre. Very similar to football.

I am sick of hearing this. This is just a way of saying "we are just little ole Iowa" in football. Stop explaining mediocrity. This team is not where it should be. If it takes more than 4 years to turn around a college basketball program, then it ain't gonna happen.

Try this on for size.

There's no doubt that Fred has produced far better results than Fran has (and the Big XII is no cakewalk, either) in the same time period, but it's dangerous to look at overall numbers in a vacuum..

Iowa's stats for the 5 years prior to Fran, and since, break down to 50% overall and 40.6% in conference before Fran. 54.9% overall and 42.8% in conference since, which doesn't look like much of an improvement on the surface.

But the last 3 years, the numbers are 62.5% overall (60-36) and 50% even in conference (24-24). The improvement is more obvious when you consider it took Fran a couple years to recruit and get some of the Lickstink out of CHA and look at the results when he wasn't more or less hamstrung with Lick's players.

For comparison's sake, Tom Davis was 65.7% overall at Iowa, and 54.3% overall in conference. But yeah, Davis obviously inherited a far better situation than Fran did, when look at overall percentages. So I don't think Fran is very far from Tom Davis results.

If this is the ceiling under Fran, am I happy with that? NIT's and a "first four" loss? Hardly. But it's a gross understatement to say that we're in better hands with Fran then with his predecessor. As I've said before, I think Fran has done enough to this point to warrant at least another year or two.

Last edited:
But the last 3 years, the numbers are 62.5% overall (60-36) and 50% even in conference (24-24). The improvement is more obvious when you consider it took Fran a couple years to recruit and get some of the Lickstink out of CHA and look at the results when he wasn't more or less hamstrung with Lick's players.

Thanks! I was going to go find the same type of information.

Defending mediocrity ........ Very interesting concept. It took a long time for some to openly criticize KF and even now a few stand up for him. Before Steve afford left there were some defending him too.

The problem I have is when I look at who we lose this year on the basketball team and who the new recruits are that are coming in. I hear some say that the new recruits are more athletic but the same was said about Clemons, Gesell, and Uthoff.

The Cubs, Steve Alford and KF I guess did me in and I no longer have the patience to listen to this anymore. You look at how well UNI and Iowa State are doing and you just shake your head. How in God's name does Barta still have a job? Are those on the Board of Regents a bunch of derelicts??? Apparently too much pot and heroine in the 60's.

He did the same thing against Ohio State. I was shocked

That's good to hear. I was hoping it wasn't a 1 time thing because it was Wisconsin. Discribing what he was doing in words doesn't do it justice either. He was unbelievably fired up like i haven't seen in a hawkeye huddle in a long time.

There's no doubt that Fred has produced far better results than Fran has (and the Big XII is no cakewalk, either) in the same time period, but it's dangerous to look at overall numbers in a vacuum..

Iowa's stats for the 5 years prior to Fran, and since, break down to 50% overall and 40.6% in conference before Fran. 54.9% overall and 42.8% in conference since, which doesn't look like much of an improvement on the surface.

For comparison's sake, Tom Davis was 65.7% overall at Iowa, and 54.3% overall in conference. But yeah, Davis obviously inherited a far better situation than Fran did, when look at overall percentages. So I don't think Fran is very far from Tom Davis results.

If this is the ceiling under Fran, am I happy with that? NIT's and a "first four" loss? Hardly. But it's a gross understatement to say that we're in better hands with Fran then with his predecessor. As I've said before, I think Fran has done enough to this point to warrant at least another year or two.

The thing is, Fran could obviously do a better job of coaching, but he has us to the point where all we need is one recruit to emerge like a Marble, Burke, or Pettiway type and we will be competing for Big 10 titles. The pieces weren't quite there with Marble (or maybe they were and unfortunate circumstances took away a good finish), but they are in place now. If Lick got one of those players, we would still look like Penn State does with their stud this year.

Defending mediocrity ........ Very interesting concept. It took a long time for some to openly criticize KF and even now a few stand up for him. Before Steve afford left there were some defending him too.

The problem I have is when I look at who we lose this year on the basketball team and who the new recruits are that are coming in. I hear some say that the new recruits are more athletic but the same was said about Clemons, Gesell, and Uthoff.

The Cubs, Steve Alford and KF I guess did me in and I no longer have the patience to listen to this anymore. You look at how well UNI and Iowa State are doing and you just shake your head. How in God's name does Barta still have a job? Are those on the Board of Regents a bunch of derelicts??? Apparently too much pot and heroine in the 60's.

I believe Theo has the Cubs on the right track.....Barta not so much.

The thing is, Fran could obviously do a better job of coaching, but he has us to the point where all we need is one recruit to emerge like a Marble, Burke, or Pettiway type and we will be competing for Big 10 titles. The pieces weren't quite there with Marble (or maybe they were and unfortunate circumstances took away a good finish), but they are in place now. If Lick got one of those players, we would still look like Penn State does with their stud this year.

If Lick got one of those players, they'd probably transfer after their freshman year... The guy couldn't keep a roster together, whether it was talented or not. At least Fran has done that.

But I agree, Iowa really is one big recruit away from being really darn good IMO. I think Iowa has more pieces this year and is more well rounded, but they lost Marble, which kind of offset any gains. Put Marble back on this year's team, and I have to believe we'd be probably 2nd best team in the conference.

You never know - maybe Fran can land an impact transfer or something. We can hope. I just feel that Iowa is basically at its ceiling unless better talent comes in. I can't say about the next class - it sounds solid but I'll have to see these guys play before I feel comfortable judging.

If Lick got one of those players, they'd probably transfer after their freshman year... The guy couldn't keep a roster together, whether it was talented or not. At least Fran has done that.

But I agree, Iowa really is one big recruit away from being really darn good IMO. I think Iowa has more pieces this year and is more well rounded, but they lost Marble, which kind of offset any gains. Put Marble back on this year's team, and I have to believe we'd be probably 2nd best team in the conference.

You never know - maybe Fran can land an impact transfer or something. We can hope. I just feel that Iowa is basically at its ceiling unless better talent comes in. I can't say about the next class - it sounds solid but I'll have to see these guys play before I feel comfortable judging.

I'd rather not. I want to keep doing things "the right way". Transfers are all thugs.

Try this on for size.

Boat, which season did you jump off the Kirk Ferentz bandwagon?

Try this on for size.

You included 42 of Alfords wins in your totals and that's fine since your example was 5 years prior to Fran, which did include 2 years of Alford. However, in lackluster's 3 seasons, he was 38-58 and left 6 scholarship players returning, until Cully Payne transferred. You can include Alfords totals if you want, but that distorts the absolute mess lacklust left Fran. Five scholarship players, Boat.

Boat, which season did you jump off the Kirk Ferentz bandwagon?

After 2011 when he proved to me that his own comfort level was more important than winning with his coordinator hires.

If your goal is to try to compare the two it doesn't work. Rebuilding actually does take time in football. That and Kirk actually did win something so his leash was a little longer. Fran hasn't won anything yet and after watching the last two seasons I don't expect him to. I hope I am wrong, but just because he compares favorably to Lick, doesn't mean he is good.

After 2011 when he proved to me that his own comfort level was more important than winning with his coordinator hires.

If your goal is to try to compare the two it doesn't work. Rebuilding actually does take time in football. That and Kirk actually did win something so his leash was a little longer. Fran hasn't won anything yet and after watching the last two seasons I don't expect him to. I hope I am wrong, but just because he compares favorably to Lick, doesn't mean he is good.

Boat, I'm not trying to compare the two other than to point out being consistent and fair in judging. Fran had 5 scholarship players (and NO point guard-remember that Cully Payne split) when he arrived. There aren't many D1 programs that sink that low; couple that with having to compete in the B1G and I think it's remarkable we made the NIT in his 2nd season. If the last 8 games had been 4-4 instead of 1-7, this thread doesn't even exist. We'd all be ******, but chalking it up to a rebuilding year.

I believe Theo has the Cubs on the right track.....Barta not so much.

I heard he is building their farm system and knows what he is doing. If there are sports fans who deserve a championship team more than cub's fans I can't imagine who it would be. Been waiting till next year since I was eight years old and that was forty-six years ago. I want it more for my Dad than I do myself. At 82 he might not have too many seasons left.

You all know I expected last season to be a great year for our basketball team and program and that went down in flames. The next bench mark is next season with a senior and junior laden team and some freshmen that are expected to help. I will be patient and give Fran that sixth year to see what happens but if it's a flop then how could anyone justify giving him more time based on the next recruiting class after that and after that and after that. That stick gets old (see Iowa football).

Boat, I'm not trying to compare the two other than to point out being consistent and fair in judging. Fran had 5 scholarship players (and NO point guard-remember that Cully Payne split) when he arrived. There aren't many D1 programs that sink that low; couple that with having to compete in the B1G and I think it's remarkable we made the NIT in his 2nd season. If the last 8 games had been 4-4 instead of 1-7, this thread doesn't even exist. We'd all be ******, but chalking it up to a rebuilding year.

I agree. He went from terrible to mediocre rather well. Problem is that he is stuck there.

You are right, if he had won more games then this wouldn't be an issue, but he hasn't.

You included 42 of Alfords wins in your totals and that's fine since your example was 5 years prior to Fran, which did include 2 years of Alford. However, in lackluster's 3 seasons, he was 38-58 and left 6 scholarship players returning, until Cully Payne transferred. You can include Alfords totals if you want, but that distorts the absolute mess lacklust left Fran. Five scholarship players, Boat.
oh-oh. That kinda puts a hole in the bottom of the boat.

♡♡♡♡♡

Remember too. Recruiting was so anemic at iowa that lil lick was on the floor of big ten games.

Fran has exhibited some weaknesses. After three years of Lick we were afraid no coach with a pulse would come to iowa. Only PSU and NW were worse jobs in bigten.

Fran has the team run motion offense which invariably gravitates to a player trying to score using athleticism or shooting ability (which most Iowa players don't have).

Iowa's offense is more affective when they throw enough passes to get an open man or drive to the basket and kick. Where are the picks and screens to get guys open - other than from our centers?

IMO, nothing's wrong with Iowa's attitude. They try hard but lack ability to finish plays.

Last edited:

Latest posts