Miller: Will Two QB Thingy Work?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Yes, we have debated this topic at the water coolers, cafes, message boards, talk radio and every other form of communication known to Hawkeye fans: Will Iowa’s two quarterback system work?
To me, this is not a long term solution. I feel Kirk Ferentz believes it’s a near term necessity, something he owes to Jake Rudock; another chance to lead the team to wins and score more points. But now, he also owes “significant minutes’ to CJ Beathard. I put quotes around “significant minutes’ because that is a term Kirk used on his Wednesday night radio show, saying that each quarterback would see “significant minutes’.
Marc Morehouse of The Gazette made a pretty good observation over a week ago when Greg Davis said at his presser that both quarterbacks would play. It was along the lines that CJB has earned his way into significant playing time…to look at that as a positive. It caused me to give pause and think it through a little more.
Go back to the spring…CJB didn’t look so hot. Then in the fall, Rudock emerged as the clear starter, Kirk’s words. There was no doubt, but Ferentz said CJB would get some time, something Iowa at least verbally committed to back in the spring.
CJB played that one series against UNI, then nothing against Ball State or Iowa State. He didn’t see the field again until the second half of the game at Pitt and perhaps only then because Rudock had suffered a hip-pointer near the end of the first half. Still, CJB took the ball and ran (threw) with it, leading Iowa to a comeback win, a rare road comeback where the Hawkeyes had trailed by double-digits in the second half on the road. Next up against Purdue, another road contest and another double-digit deficit, CJB struggled early but played well in the second half (not unlike Drew Tate in 2004) and made some ‘deposits’ in Kirk’s trust bank.
We all see the arm, the release, the talent. He’s also a quicker runner than Rudock, but Ferentz sees far more reps than we do in practice and if he is still a bit at odds with the execution, be it based on the players, the offensive philosophy or a blend of both, he is simply not yet ready to make that defining decision of ‘Beathard is our quarterback’.
I can respect that, and do respect Ferentz…even though I might not always exhibit patience in the moment.
So Iowa is stepping out into a brave new world of two quarterbacks in the same game for a bit…but I am certain that this cannot go beyond the next two games…or rather, if it does go beyond Iowa’s next bye week, it won’t be a good thing for this football season. Iowa needs one of these two quarterbacks to win the job definitively and the fact that it’s an open discussion, for real, seven weeks into the regular season, leads me to put my money on CJB winning the job by the time the calendar rolls around to November.
His play has made this a legit question, discussion and battle…it’s not because Jake Rudock has been horrible, because he hasn’t. It’s just that CJB has shown up in real games, two road games, and has led Iowa to two wins. It doesn’t matter the circumstance (injury) under which CJB has had that chance…it only matters that when he got that chance, he performed just as good as Rudock has, at worst.
At his best, he has made throws we haven’t seen from an Iowa quarterback in at least 14 years (Jon Beutjer in 2000) or even farther back to Chuck Long and Chuck Hartlieb in the mid to late 1980’s.
So back to the question I asked in the headline; will playing two quarterbacks work for Iowa?
The answer is yes, but the question needs to be amended to ‘Will playing two quarterbacks lead to Iowa settling on one by November 1st’?
I think that will happen…if it doesn’t, this team just won’t be that good.

Kirk loves making changes on the bye weeks. I see the next two games as a competition, and our November 1 starter will be "the guy" for the rest of the season, barring injury.

I think Jon pretty much nailed it. CJB has a chance to be special. Just hope he is ready to take over now. Because the opportunity is now

This is a case where neither QB has consistently shown that they can or cannot do the job better or worse than the other.

I would venture that Kirk and Co. are looking for either Jake to play a game like he practices (Remeber the BTN crew saying he was one of the few QBs looking good throwing long well in the practices they saw?) or for CJ to show consistency in practice or games.

If the coaches didn't think CJ could take over QB1, there wouldn't have been talk of him getting playing time since spring.

It is time for one of the QBs to control their own destiny.

It would be nice if KF ended this debate after this weekend game against Indiana. It would be in the teams best interest to have a clear #1 before going on the road to Maryland.

This is pretty much where I'm at on the QB thing. It needs to get hashed out and have a guy moving forward.

You hit it right with the biggest difference between the two QB's, which is the arm strength and velocity of Beathard. Once he decides to make a throw, the ball gets out quickly and to where it's going right now. A few of the throws he made against Pitt and against Purdue once he settled down, Rudock just cannot make. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say those are throws not made at Iowa since Beutjer or Long, but I get what you are saying.

In the opinions of many/most fans here, KF should just make the decision to play one guy and bench the other and go with it. But QB is different than other positions. Rudock espouses all the traits that coaches love (smart, dedicated, tough) in addition to being a good player (I'll get killed by some for saying that, but his performance overall as a first-year starter in 2013 was a positive). You don't lightly make the change to a different guy. But if Beathard at QB makes Iowa better, then that is the choice that has to be made.

I don't want to be a tool (can't help it sometimes) ... but I think CJB's "that one series" was against ball state. Long pass bobbled by Powell ... ipso facto, he didn't get to play again for a couple weeks.

If I am wrong, please feel free to roast me, at which time I'll edit this post to pretend it never happened.

The only way this 2 qb situation will make us worse off than we were in the first 3 and 1/2 games is if Rudock feels the pressure and regresses, and CJ somehow still doesn't do enough to win the job. I don't think its probable that all of that will happen so if we aren't going to just play CJ, odds are we'll be better off with this.

I also think that 2 qb teams get a worse rap than they probably deserve. People say show me a team that is successful with 2 quarterbacks. I say show me a team that uses 2 quarterbacks that would have been more successful had they just chosen one.

I don't want to be a tool (can't help it sometimes) ... but I think CJB's "that one series" was against ball state. Long pass bobbled by Powell ... ipso facto, he didn't get to play again for a couple weeks.

If I am wrong, please feel free to roast me, at which time I'll edit this post to pretend it never happened.

You're right. I almost corrected him but I didn't want to be a tool. :)

I think we can play 2-QBs for the foreseeable future. There has to be some consistency in approach to keep the QB's from constantly looking of their shoulder. But playing two QBs allows the offense to give slightly different looks, which is good.

It also allows Iowa to run the QBs more consistently than we've ever run the QBs. Our running game is struggling. KF loves to run the football--its low risk and leads to victories when successful. The QB run would add a new dimension to our offense and might pressure off the passing game. We can run both Beathard and Ruddock--10 designed QB runs a game would be an interesting addition to this offense.

My position is that it is Rudock's job to lose now. As I listened to the Pitt game I got the sense at the end of the first half that Ferentz and Davis knew they had to try Beathard. The hip pointer gave them cover. Kirk's philosophy that starters do not lose their job to injury requires Rudock to demonstrate he can lead the offense upon his return. If he can't put points on the board Beathard will get his chance to win the position during actual game competition.

You don't just automatically throw a guy to the bench that helped you win 8 games the year before (4 of them on the road), helped lead the offense to 66 combined points against Michigan and Nebraska to end the year, and help you get an invite to the Outback Bowl. Certainly his play during the first 5 games of the season has left something to be desired, which is why there's been consideration to switching QBs. But he's earned enough capital over the last year and a half that he should be given every opportunity to either win the job or lose it over the next couple of weeks. That's my opinion anyway.

At the same time, I also think that from what I've seen so far, CJ probably gives us the best chance to win.

From an investment standpoint, I liken JR to a CD. Something that's safe, dependable, but not overly exciting or going to give you any sort of big return. CJ is a small cap growth stock. Exciting, with a great opportunity for huge returns, but comes with a lot of risk and a lot of potential to crash and burn. Just depends on what your tolerance for risk is.

You know its funny. It was a small mistake, no big deal, but that distracted me so much, I could not read the rest of the analysis because I kept wondering if CJB's 1 series was really against Ball State or not.

My position is that it is Rudock's job to lose now. As I listened to the Pitt game I got the sense at the end of the first half that Ferentz and Davis knew they had to try Beathard. The hip pointer gave them cover. Kirk's philosophy that starters do not lose their job to injury requires Rudock to demonstrate he can lead the offense upon his return. If he can't put points on the board Beathard will get his chance to win the position during actual game competition.

I'm not calling you out on this, but I'm not aware of any philosophy about not losing a job to injury. There's been more than a handful of guys that have lost their job to injury under Ferentz. There's a sophomore cornerback playing on Saturday that was the beneficiary of an injury. He never gave the job back.

This is pretty much where I'm at on the QB thing. It needs to get hashed out and have a guy moving forward.

In the opinions of many/most fans here, KF should just make the decision to play one guy and bench the other and go with it. But QB is different than other positions. Rudock espouses all the traits that coaches love (smart, dedicated, tough) in addition to being a good player (I'll get killed by some for saying that, but his performance overall as a first-year starter in 2013 was a positive). You don't lightly make the change to a different guy. But if Beathard at QB makes Iowa better, then that is the choice that has to be made.

You wont get killed by me concerning Rudock's play in 2013 and even most of his play in 2014. I thought he was an above avg, very good QB in 2013 for being a sophomore with no starting experience. I think this year he is hampered by the running game not working and some passing scheme issues. But I do see Rudock being a little more cautious this year.

Why he didnt get some significant minutes in games in the Mich and Penn St games at least in 2012 drubbings I do not know. Those minutes may have helped him in a couple of 2013 losses or tough spots.

I will root for both of them.

Two things - for those who want KF to make a decision about the starting QB, he has. You don't like it, so you won't consider it decided. Secondly, it's disgusting how you all hate on JR. He doesn't deserve that.

You don't just automatically throw a guy to the bench that helped you win 8 games the year before (4 of them on the road), helped lead the offense to 66 combined points against Michigan and Nebraska to end the year, and help you get an invite to the Outback Bowl. Certainly his play during the first 5 games of the season has left something to be desired, which is why there's been consideration to switching QBs. But he's earned enough capital over the last year and a half that he should be given every opportunity to either win the job or lose it over the next couple of weeks. That's my opinion anyway.

At the same time, I also think that from what I've seen so far, CJ probably gives us the best chance to win.

From an investment standpoint, I liken JR to a CD. Something that's safe, dependable, but not overly exciting or going to give you any sort of big return. CJ is a small cap growth stock. Exciting, with a great opportunity for huge returns, but comes with a lot of risk and a lot of potential to crash and burn. Just depends on what your tolerance for risk is.

So, now that the schedule gets progressively tougher (with exception of Illannoy) how many series, games, whatever are you willing to sacrifice, especially when opportunities (possessions) are already at a premium, based on nothing more than loyalty to last season? You already have evidence to draw a conclusion (CJ = best chance) yet you disregard it in lieu of violating a fundamental warning when investing -- "past performance does not guarantee future results."

Sticking with your investment analogy ... agree Jake is a CD. Disagree CJ has such a high risk / reward of a small-cap. I liken him to a high-interest rewards checking account -- you have to use it to get your return. If you don't, it's ho-hum miniscule interest. If you use that debit card, you get the high pay off. If you use it wisely, you can get the reps, spend very little and still get paid.

Jake should be held in reserve until maturity. CJ needs to be used to keep getting the pay off.

Still, I like this philosophy. Rudock will get the chance to compete now while healthy. If CJB ends up the starter now, at least Rudock can say he was given a fair chance.

I am also afraid this problem may "solve itself" when one guy gets a serious injury, in which case, its good you did not tell anybody that the other guy sucks. The message is the team will be fine with either guy.

Last edited:
The only difference I have with Jon is that I think the decision has already been made, and Ferentz is looking for a soft landing for Jake.

Latest posts