Miller: Stanzi for Heisman? Time to think about it

I think if we win our next two games and Stanzi goes over 225 yards in each of them and throws either 4 TD's 0 INT or 5 TD's and 1 INT then he'll be firmly in the hunt.

I think Stanzi will need to continue to have very, very strong performances in each remaining game, and the Hawks will have to win of course. I think it's a long shot, but yes he should be considered.

Someone will probably replay those 4 straight sacks as a reminder of things. But, if Iowa keeps winning and he keeps being very accurate, why not?

Can't see this happening. Stanzi doesn't make enough plays that garner attention. His inability to consistently hit the deep ball will keep him far away from NYC.

It's not a knock on Stanzi. I think he's a great QB and is perfect for our system. But you have to have a flare if you're from Iowa to get that kind of recognition. On a national scale, Stanzi will always be looked at as a game managing QB. Fair/not fair...right/wrong...that doesn't matter. It is what it is.

If he gets a 2nd team All-American honor alone I would be shocked.

Can't see this happening. Stanzi doesn't make enough plays that garner attention. His inability to consistently hit the deep ball will keep him far away from NYC.

It's not a knock on Stanzi. I think he's a great QB and is perfect for our system. But you have to have a flare if you're from Iowa to get that kind of recognition. On a national scale, Stanzi will always be looked at as a game managing QB. Fair/not fair...right/wrong...that doesn't matter. It is what it is.

+1

Hell...with all the unwarranted TP and Tolzien love going around, I hope he's 2nd team all-league!

If the Hawks win out and Stanzi's stats continue to be good....he might get an invite to New York. He won't win because he is not on one of the "marquee" teams, nor is he a "big" name.

He is not flashy enough to get the media's attention. A lot of college football fans and probably many Heisman voters likely don't know Stanzi from a hole in the ground.

This. I love Ricky and think he fits perfectly in this system. But even if he plays strong and Iowa wins the rest of the season, at best I see him as a long-shot and would be shocked if he received an invite to New York City. He hasn't had the pre-season hype and Iowa doesn't get the love from the networks and the East Coast media for him to be a serious Heisman candidate.

Are Stanzi's "projected stats" through 12 regular season games only? Or is there a bowl game being considered?

Banks played in 13 games in 2002, including the Orange Bowl.
Long played in 12 games during each of the years he fully started (83-85), which include a bowl game (11 regualar season and a bowl game for 12 total)

If the Hawks win out and Stanzi's stats continue to be good....he might get an invite to New York. He won't win because he is not on one of the "marquee" teams, nor is he a "big" name.

He is not flashy enough to get the media's attention. A lot of college football fans and probably many Heisman voters likely don't know Stanzi from a hole in the ground.

And, let's not forget a certain number #23 didn't get an invite....an invite...to the Heisman party two years ago.

That speaks volumes to Iowa's national perception, and to be fair, the lack of sports-marketing effectiveness at UI.

He could certainly win it and even deserve it, but I think he has a few things working against him.

1) His Pick 6s from last year will haunt him in something as un-important as perception. But, in these awards, they are all perception based once you get invited.

2) The loss this year that would keep us out of the National Championship game (assuming we win out, which I think is a requirement for Stanzi to be considered a Heisman finalist) was by 7 points and in that game Rick threw a pick 6.

Now, in my mind, the Pick 6 at Arizona was 100% McNutt's fault, but voters will go to the sound bytes: they will see a singular crunch-time moment where Rick put his team behind with his "famous" Rick 6s and then when it came time to live up to his "Mr. 4th Quarter" reputation, he deer-in-headlighted 4 straight sacks.

With the way the media packages things, I don't see him overcoming this. I don't agree with it, but I think it would be too much for him to overcome. Hope I'm wrong.

And, let's not forget a certain number #23 didn't get an invite....an invite...to the Heisman party two years ago.

That speaks volumes to Iowa's national perception, and to be fair, the lack of sports-marketing effectiveness at UI.

Nobody from Iowa will ever win a Heisman when the team has a 8-4 record. Ever! :)

While, in terms of performance/effectiveness and W-L record, I think Ricky Stanzi is "worthy" of being "discussed", he can put up those projected numbers--heck, you could probably add 15% to those numbers, excepting the INTs, of course--and you will still see an all-conference of Terrelle Pryor at 1st team, with second team splitting somewhere between Denard Robinson/Kirk Cousins/Dan Persa/Scott Tolzien.

The people that "know"--DiNardo, Griffith, C-Mart, even Mason--understand Ricky Stanzi's value to the team, and how each of those other guys wouldn't be a "cinch" to succeed as IOWA QB. But the Corsos, Lou Holtzes and Trevor Matiches (which, unfortunately, far outnumber the actually-knowledgable) will ALWAYS look to the QB at OSU/Michigan as "default" All-Big Ten QB. A PSU guy can get in every third year, and a team other than OSU/Michigan that wins the conference is a shoo-in for their QB getting at least second-team All-Big Ten.

An IOWA QB has to have astronomical numbers. Correct that: he also has to have the OSU and Michigan QBs with very ordinary-to-dismal numbers.

Is Ricky Stanzi worthy? Certainly. But until Chris Fowler and the other butt-kiss guys unlock their mouths from the rear ends of Terrelle Pryor, Kellen Moore and Ryan Mallett--not to mention Cam Newton--a Ricky Stanzi doesn't stand a chance.

(Disclaimer: the other QBs I cited are certainly excellent players, and I am sure are also great guys. My answer isn't a reflection on them, it's a reflection on those who vote and influence the vote)

A lot of short sighted people on here that just don't get it. There is no way that if Iowa wins out and Ricky continues to put up these numbers that he won't be in strong consideration for the Heisman.

A QB with great numbers on a top 5 team is always considered.

Winning out and putting up the same kind of numbers is going to be tough to do, but if it's done, Ricky will be right in the hunt.

It's worth noting that while the final four out of six regular season games (Michigan St., Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern) should be tougher and have an effect on his stats, Stanzi also has Indiana and Minnesota left on the schedule, which should balance that out.

Indiana in particular seems terrible on pass defense. They are the only team in the conference that I've seen that could give Michigan a run for its money in the worst defense department.

If Iowa wins out, they will be ranked in the top 3 in the country.

Iowa will not win out unless Stanzi heats it up.

A QB that completes 70% of his passes, throws 28 TD's and 5 INT's as Miller has projected, and leads his team to an outright conference championship and is in the nation title picture will absolutely be in NYC without a question.

All of this being said, I am growing uncomfortable with all of this talk again. I still have nightmares from last month.

It's worth noting that while the final four out of six regular season games (Michigan St., Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern) should be tougher and have an effect on his stats, Stanzi also has Indiana and Minnesota left on the schedule, which should balance that out.

Indiana in particular seems terrible on pass defense. They are the only team in the conference that I've seen that could give Michigan a run for its money in the worst defense department.

Agreed, after watching UMs final drive against Indiana, I remarked to a friend that I have finally seen a defense worse than Michigan's, and for UM, it couldn't have come at a better time.

That said, the Wolverines gave a pretty good effort last Saturday, and I think they will still get a bowl bid, maybe even a 7-5 or 8-4 record.

Yup...but I was talking about an invite (or at least some sort of national mention...any mention)...

National mention....yea, because he didn't win the Doak Walker Award that year....

Some of you really overplay the "we're just Iowa and no one notices label". We've been getting plenty of attention the past two years and its because we earned it. Do some other teams get the benefit of the doubt and some unwarranted attention? Yes, but in most cases its because their teams have earned the benefit of the doubt over several years.

Bottom line, if Iowa wins out and wins the big10 and is playing in the Rose Bowl, we will be getting plenty of attention. If Stanzi keeps this kind of performance up against the Wisc, Mich St, OSU 's then he will absolutely be getting tons of attention and it will be warranted. Right now he has only earned himself the possibility of national awards in the future.

Latest posts