Miller: Ohio State Too Big to Fail? Hogwash

Pearl vs. Tressel
So I haven't paid attention all that closely to either case, but how does what Bruce Pearl did compare to Tressel? Did they both not lie to the NCAA and attempt to cover-up violations even if they were only secondary in nature (I believe)?

Pearl vs. Tressel
So I haven't paid attention all that closely to either case, but how does what Bruce Pearl did compare to Tressel? Did they both not lie to the NCAA and attempt to cover-up violations even if they were only secondary in nature (I believe)?

I think Tressel has been less cavalier than Pearl.

Ok, I did a little reading up on Pearl and Tressel. Pearl's were recruiting violations that he committed. Also, Pearl committed another violation days after being punished for previous violations. Pearl was covering up for his own transgressions whereas Tressel was covering up the transgressions of his players.

I would think that Tressel not reporting what he had learned last spring and allowing the players to play all season and the bowl game without reporting the violations to the NCAA would be a transgression on HIS part.

Last edited:
How can Tressel say he did not elevate this to his bosses (because it was a federal investigation) yet he elevated it to Pryor's mentor?

How can the OSU prez buy into that?

It looks to me like there might be more than an appearance of lack of instituional control if the OSU Prez is buying into this publicly.

Somehting is very stinky and it might claim more than the football coach!

It looks to me like there might be more than an appearance of lack of instituional control if the OSU Prez is buying into this publicly.

"I just hope (Tressel) doesn't fire me."

Gordon Gee, President, The Ohio State University, back in February when they had the presser where they announced the (then) two-game suspension.

"I just hope (Tressel) doesn't fire me."

Gordon Gee, President, The Ohio State University, back in February when they had the presser where they announced the (then) two-game suspension.

Jon, you got the quote wrong. It was "I hope he(Tressel) doesn't dismiss me."

Jon,
Never use the word "Hogwash" in the title of an article you write. Your career can thank me later.

Latest posts