Miller: Mad Again; Hawks Lost to Wisconsin

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
When Iowa's marketing department rolled out the 'Let's get mad again' slogan this past summer, they were referring to a return to March MADness. It seemed a bit awkward, and has been the brunt of many jokes, but I got the sentiment.

On Wednesday night, that slogan took on a new meaning for me.

I am mad again. OK, I am not mad at Iowa because they lost 62-59 to #14 Wisconsin in overtime in Iowa City.

I am disappointed. The fan in me hurts. The fan in me wanted that win so badly, it hurts. The fan in me wanted to feel the rush of euphoria that would have come from beating a ranked team at home, from winning its third straight Big Ten game for the first time in four years.

It was not to be...but the emotions returned.

Watching the game in my man cave, I was standing up on shot attempts and fist pumping when they went in. My emotions were back related to Iowa basketball, and I cannot tell you the last time I could say that. I cannot tell you the last time I was so emotionally involved in a game.

By the sound of the Carver Hawkeye Arena crowd blaring on my surround sound, they were plugged in, too.

During the second half of that game, I felt like I had found something I had been looking for. I felt like someone had given me a gift; I really, really got into an Iowa basketball game again, something that used to happen 30 some odd times a year.

I'm ticked they didn't win, but not ticked off at them. I applaud their efforts.

There isn't another team in the Big Ten that has played as hard as Iowa over the past eight days. None of them.

Sure, Ohio State might not have to play at 100 percent effort to win games, but most teams in the league do and Iowa has left it all on the court. If you are a Hawkeye fan, that has to make you proud and it certainly makes me feel very, very good about the future of this program.

Iowa really could have used this win, but it was not meant to be. They have had a few moral victories this year, but they are tired of that garbage. To be honest, as hard as they are playing right now and as competitive as they have been, there will be no more talk of moral victories coming from me. I think the program has progressed beyond that point, thankfully.

Now, when they lose close games, we get mad again because we care again.

In a way, the end of this season has a chance to be like the end of the 2000 Iowa football season. The Hawks went 4-19 during Kirk Ferentz's first two seasons, but they finished the 2000 season winning two of three, including wins at Penn State and home against a ranked Northwestern team. They lost their season finale at Minnesota when Bob Sanders and Benny Sapp went down to injuries, but they returned the next year to win seven games and their average margin of loss in the five games they did not win was less than six points on the average. Iowa won their bowl game and Kirk Ferentz announced 'The Hawks are back! Here we go!'

I will never forget that statement from Kirk, because I was on the field in the Alamodome in the post game celebration.

Iowa has six regular season games remaining and at least one game in the Big Ten tournament, their record is 10-14 (3-9). Right now, it feels a lot better than that. Right now, I'd like to start this Big Ten season over as opposed to wishing April would get here to put an end to it. That's the way I have felt in recent years, if I am going to be brutally honest.

Not now, now this year, not with this team and not with this coaching staff. I don't want it to end, because we are watching this team, this program, get exponentially better in front of our eyes, game to game and week to week.

It will be disappointing if Iowa doesn't win a few more games the rest of the way; they are capable of beating every team on their schedule. They won't, and there will probably be a few more ugly games before it's said and done; Iowa does have to play at Illinois and Michigan State, two snake pits.

However, this program is moving in the right direction and it's not just Hawkful thinking on my part. We can all see it. I can sense the optimism on the message boards, on twitter, in chats...all throughout Hawkeye Nation.

Damn, it feels good to be mad again.

STATS: Wisconsin had 12 offensive rebounds in the first half, but had zero second chance points. The Badgers scored buckets on their first three offensive rebounds in the second half. They finished the game with 16 offensive rebounds and just seven second chance points....Iowa outscored Wisconsin 32-22 in the paint...Iowa had just 10 turnovers, two in the second half. Wisconsin had just 8 turnovers, two in the second half...Wisconsin made 6 of 7 free throw attempts, Iowa was 8 of 9...Iowa was just 1 of 7 on three point attempts, Wisconsin was 8 of 29.

That last stat speaks to Iowa's defensive effort. They were determined to take Jordan Taylor out of the game, the fine Badger point guard, and they did that in the first half as he was held scoreless. He got off for 16 in the second half, but he had to work incredibly hard. Forward Jon Leuer was harassed every time he caught the ball on the block which led to a 8 of 20 shooting performance...

Four Iowa players scored in double figures, led by Bryce Cartwright's 14. Melsahn Basabe had 13 points and 11 rebounds. Jarryd Cole and Matt Gatens scored 10 apiece, Cole recording 12 rebounds.

12,093 fans were in attendance and they were heard from.

Next up for Iowa is another home game, Sunday against Minnesota. Tipoff is set for 5:05pm

I couldn't agree more Jon about the moral victories. I'm not satisfied with them anymore and don't think any player, coach or fan should be. I expected us to lose tonight, but given we led the majority of the game, I felt we deserved the win more than Wisconsin. And that's what makes me the most frustrated about this game. I am glad the emotions are high again throughout the game, but now I'm ready for some real W's.

Great write-up John. As a fan I don't think I've been as emotionally involved in a game as I was in that one. My knee is even bleeding from whacking it on the seat in front of my in crazy celebration. I am exhausted, and I know the Hawks are too. They left it all out on the court tonight. Yes a win would have been nice, but we can finally say that this team belongs. Not necessarily with their total talent, but their hustle, and their willingness to compete for a full 40 minutes and give it everything they've got is second to none in the Big 10 right now.

Tonight's game made me feel like I was 12 years old again and watching exciting Iowa basketball.

I'm taking my daughter to her first Iowa game on Sunday. Will be fun.

Ha! I posted the same thing about "MAD again" on my fb status at the beginning of OT. It feels great to care again, like a sleeping giant has been woken up.

As much as I love Iowa Football, I clearly get more worked up during Iowa basketball games. Probably due to the faster pace which allows for more things to happen both good and bad. I haven't been this in to an Iowa game in a long time. I think Fran and Iowa are on there way to better things, but I was really thinking that this game tonight could have really helped this program turn the corner. Not only in confidence, but re-engagement of the fanbase!!! Great effort!

You can spin it and write it up any way you want. Tonights game may be the best loss this team will ever have. People stood, cared, cheered, cussed and is the end were ****** that we lost. Nuff said. Fran is on the right track!

What was surprising to me I actually found myself believing they were going to pull it out. Instead of waiting for them to blow it.

I'm FUC*ING P!SSED!!!! How's that for being mad?!? We had that one. Bad shot at the end of regulation. I FUC*ING HATE BO RYAN. Glad I got that off my chest.

Melsahn Basabe...Black and Gold Army...Sweet 16 like Gedde Wantanabe

Sorry...I felt 16 again, when I used to like rap. Back to normal now.

I'm FUC*ING P!SSED!!!! How's that for being mad?!? We had that one. Bad shot at the end of regulation. I FUC*ING HATE BO RYAN. Glad I got that off my chest.

I hate Bo Ryan too. But it was a good shot at end of regulation. It was what we wanted. Fran wanted the ball in Cartwright's hands, and he knew Bryce could get the shot he wanted. It just didn't drop. However, once again, I also hate Bo Ryan!

I felt the same way tonight Jon. It's FUN watching Iowa BB again. From watching on TV, that's the loudest I've heard Carver-Hawkeye in a long time. Hope they finish the year on a good run.

This isn't a moral victory, but it does seem to lend credence to the fact that this team is improving. Beat a bad MSU team, then a road game against a bad Indiana team, then give #14 all they wanted, beat Minnesota this weekend and we have a team that others won't want to see in the BTT.

The shot at the end of regulation is about the best shot you could hope for. That is Cartwright's shot. End of OT, not so much.

iahawk72

Great read Jon! I found myself standing up for shots and fist pumping as well! Felt really good to be into a Hawkeye basketball game like that again!

The shot at the end of regulation is about the best shot you could hope for. That is Cartwright's shot. End of OT, not so much.

iahawk72

You are right, I think I was thinking of the possession before that with Gaten's shot. Cartwright's shot was a good look.

Original post is dead on. I was actually yelling at the tv during a Iowa basketball game. Four kids and wife came in watched the second half and were rooting, too.

They're fun to watch again.

I think this was both a moral victory and not, at the same time. It's a moral victory for the program in that we don't see this loss in and of itself as a moral victory (if that makes any sense). A corner is being turned, and it's the corner that we've been searching for about 5 years now.

I'm there, too, Eddy, and as bad as it feels, that's probably good. It means I care about Iowa basketball again, and I suspect everyone posting last night and this morning feels the same way.

What hurts so bad is that this game was there to be had. We had the final possession and an open look at the end of regulation. Nine times out of 10 Bryce makes that shot. Last night he did not. Basabe got mugged by Leueur going for the rebound or tip-in on that shot and should have been shooting FTs with next to no time remaining, but all three refs managed to miss the foul.

Prior to that we had three -- three! -- slams clank off the rim and out, two of them from one of our highest flyers and best dunkers. How often do you see that in one game? At times the refs seemed to have a quick trigger any time Mel made a quick move as he put the ball on the floor.

The team played well; it is moving in the right direction. And we no longer have to watch a junior high player attempt to run the point when our starter needs a breather.

I thought this was Fran's best coaching job of the season, even if it didn't produce the win. I liked his rotations. In the second half, he benched May and Gatens for an extended period, bringing them in with about five minutes remaining to try to bring it home. I liked the fact Iowa tried to catch Wisconsin back on their heels in the closing seconds of regulation by going for the win without calling a timeout. The effort fell just about an inch short when BC's final shot bounced out.

Yeah, I'm mad today.

Latest posts