Miller: Low Point Loss

Jon is right about the bowl practices. Those are important to any program.

You never want to turn down a bowl simply for that reason alone. 15 extra practices helps the young kids develop.

the extra practices are nice if they lead to an upward trend in play in the next seasons... that is not happening

It's not just the losing that frustrates me is the almost obsessive complusive conservative coaching style... its just mind boggling

I have NEVER seen a coach who runs a 2 min offense less... its bizaare.

I am not in the Fire Ferentz camp. I am disappointed like everyone else, but there are four games left to play out this year. Even then, the guy has built up a great deal of goodwill and he's been a damn good coach for Iowa.

I get that people are ticked, but I think some people are over reacting a bit here.

JD, understand what you're saying, but when you're one of the top paid coaches in the country you don't lose to ISU and Minny in the same season. It would be like Nick Saban losing to Vandy and Mississippi State two years in a row or Bob Stoops losing to Kansas....it just doesn't happen. I know, I know....Iowa isn't Alabama or Oklahoma. Then why do we pay our coach as if we are?

JD, understand what you're saying, but when you're one of the top paid coaches in the country you don't lose to ISU and Minny in the same season. It would be like Nick Saban losing to Vandy and Mississippi State two years in a row or Bob Stoops losing to Kansas....it just doesn't happen. I know, I know....Iowa isn't Alabama or Oklahoma. Then why do we pay our coach as if we are?

This makes alot of sense to me

Jon is right about the bowl practices. Those are important to any program.

You never want to turn down a bowl simply for that reason alone. 15 extra practices helps the young kids develop.

I am not saying turn it down, I just don't think it is going to make a big of difference as Jon does.

That's the frustrating thing. Iowa needed a epic stand against Syracuse to win a game, Iowa needed not one, but two FG blocks to beat UNI, and a dropped pass to beat Indiana.

Then you have the Western Michigan loss, the Iowa State losses, and now the Minnesota losses.

Iowa has been playing down to the level of their lesser opponents for several years now. It's a trend.

I am not saying turn it down, I just don't think it is going to make a big of difference as Jon does.

To the freshman it does. To Vandenberg it might since he cannot pick up a blitz consistently.

It does help underclassmen the most.

Jon are you a bit delusional and political about your statements here? I don't think there is over reaction here. Losing to Iowa State too much over the years as well as Northwestern, now awful Minnesota teams. Top ten highest paid coaches in the country you can't settle for these results at ALL!! There is no explanation for this. Changes have to happen at some point. What if we lose the rest of our games down the stretch. Then what. Ferentz has given us some fabulous years but you are as conservative he is sometimes.

I am not in the Fire Ferentz camp. I am disappointed like everyone else, but there are four games left to play out this year. Even then, the guy has built up a great deal of goodwill and he's been a damn good coach for Iowa.

I get that people are ticked, but I think some people are over reacting a bit here.

And for the most part I agree but I think we are all getting really tired of losing games that we should win. Grant it, it happens from time to time and that is why we watch sports. But with this program it is happening wayyy too often over the last few years.

I think you are burying your head a little on this Jon. You can build up good will all you want but you are payed to do a job. If it's a good ol' boys club and the Iowa admin is all Justin Bieber on him then they are idiots and it will cost them their jobs too. The admin has to treat college football as a business now. It's not a participation sport. People will talk with their wallets and if you don't act quick enough these things snowball and take years to overcome again.

Really outside of 2009 this has not been the teams of the early 2000's

We havent been as successful since 2005.... thats a trend not just a flash in the pan.. its time for things to get shaking.

This isnt good enough

I have all the respect in the world for Kirk Ferentz.
He seems like a genuinely good guy. He is a fantastic "teacher of the game", technique, leverage, etc. His teams are always competitive and typically well disciplined.
KF has given Iowa 13 fantastic seasons, some truly remarkable memories and many many good teams.

However, it has become crystal clear that Iowa needs to move in a different direction.
Today's failures were nothing new. We've seen all these failures repeatedly and have not made the necessary adjustments. Blame can be placed on Norm & KOK all people want but the truth is they're running what Kirk wants.

13 seasons, 13 mostly terrific seasons, but changes have to be made. Doing nothing is no longer an option. Losing to Minnesota two years in a row is unacceptable.

I wish Kirk well, but its time to go.

Dude, Iowa has had 6 seasons with over 7 wins and 6 season with 7 wins or less. This year will be less than 7. How is that 13 fantastic seasons?

IBleedBlackGold this isnt time to time. Last years team way underachieved and look what happened. We dodged a bullet in the Insight Bowl thanks to Micah Hyde. If we had lost that bowl then the sky would most certainly be falling to earth. Read this. We don t even play this year:

Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio State

And our schedule is weak sauce this year! A normal year schedule we could be 5-7 or 4-8 easily.

Dude, Iowa has had 6 seasons with over 7 wins and 6 season with 7 wins or less. This year will be less than 7. How is that 13 fantastic seasons?

Exactly. We've had 3 fantastic seasons. 2 Big 10 titles and an Orange Bowl victory a few years ago. The rest is average. People tend to forget that an Outback Bowl or January Bowl game nowadays is not what it used to be like back in Hayden's days and it is why Hayden will always be known as the godfather of Iowa football.

I can point you to a 45 minute controlled 'rant' the week before Lickliter was called into Barta's office, where I said I could no longer support him as coach. Still have the audio. And no one else in the media had said that at that point.

So next question

Jon - I can beat you on that......I told an Iowa Athletic Dept official to his face that Todd Lickliter would be a failure at Iowa the day he was named our head BB Coach.

Most times the truth stares you right in the face.....and you have to call it by its name.

Vanilla offensive and defensive philosophies will not cut it anymore in today's college football - PERIOD!!

Not trying to be a jerk, but at what point would it not be over reacting?

Jon, I'm going to guess that most Iowa fans, including myself, could live with these loses IF we could see attempts being made to make the necessary counter adjustments. The failures we saw today, we've seen repeatedly. Does it take at 3-9 season to make it justified to make some changes?

I am astounded at the level of or inability to adjust to anything. Now I will say & agree with the fact that the Iowa defense is certainly not at the level we're used to. But here's the thing...we know it, the coaches most certainly know it, the other teams know it, yet Iowa does nothing, or very little to compensate for it. I don't want to hear how they have this year because that's fools gold. When today's game was on the line, all of us knew Minny was gonna let their QB keep the ball and just run and make a play.

I will continue to watch, root for and support the Hawks, but I am no longer a closed eye, blind faith supporter of Kirk Ferentz. If he can't beat the Minnesota's, ISU's & Indiana's of the world, then he has to go. The program was here before him & it will be here after him.

I just think its time.

Latest posts