Miller: Low Point Loss

Re the comment about class warfare, I'm in the top 5% income level, and I resent people who get paid top dollar for mediocre performance who then whine about having to be paid more for living wherever. That's not class warfare, that's how capitalism is SUPPOSED to work. No performance, no pay. CRONY capitalism is when you get paid high dollar and make excuses for poor performance. I've fired plenty of managers who whine and blame everyone but themselves for poor performance but have worked to improve the sadly very few who will take the blame on their shoulders and want to work to improve. Nothing disgusts a true capitalist than entitled wealthy.

How in he&& do you equate "CRONY" capitalism to KF and the Iowa HC job? You DO realize the AD that hired him is gone, no? Or that KF has seen as many U of I presidents as most on this board have probably seen US Presidents.

No comparison. So take your top 5% income level, Richie Rich, and brag elsewhere.

Because sometimes at a school like Iowa as long as you are making a bowl every season, nothing is going to change. It takes a major down year, like not even making a bowl game, to shake things up. If it takes missing out on a bowl this year to get KF to shake up his staff, then I'm all for it.

What exactly would an Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops or anyone else get out of this talent level?

Not sure staff changes accomplish much, other than make it "public" that Iowa isn't the safest place to take an assistant's position.

What exactly would an Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops or anyone else get out of this talent level?

Not sure staff changes accomplish much, other than make it "public" that Iowa isn't the safest place to take an assistant's position.

Not make it public that Iowa isn't the safest place to take an assistant's position? Are you ******* kidding me? We've had by far the most staff consistency of anyone in the country. We've had the same coordinators for all of Ferentz's tenure, do you know how rare that is? Being a coach is not about wanting a career with job security. We have a staff that is allowed to be complacent. Iowa is a big time BCS program, there will be plenty of young, hungry assistants that would love a job here.

Not make it public that Iowa isn't the safest place to take an assistant's position? Are you ******* kidding me? We've had by far the most staff consistency of anyone in the country. We've had the same coordinators for all of Ferentz's tenure, do you know how rare that is? Being a coach is not about wanting a career with job security. We have a staff that is allowed to be complacent. Iowa is a big time BCS program, there will be plenty of young, hungry assistants that would love a job here.

"Big time" BCS program? Come on, Mike. We have been to two BCS bowls in the KF Era. Hardly "big time".

I am all for staff changes when a Norm Parker-type retires, or a Soup Campbell is brought on when the timing is right. But summarily making changes shows potential assistants that a program is willing to dump at the drop of a hat (all this under the auspices that the HC stays when this happens). If you think job security isn't important, why are people screaming about unemployment numbers?

I realize that is somewhat of an oversimplification, but staff stability affects recruiting as well as program consistency. It took exactly one year for people to start laughing at Michigan. It will be three or more years for their return to "respectability". A program/state our size would take longer.

Kirk started with two losing seasons, added to Hayden's last (losing) season. So, IOWA is "capable" of adapting quickly. But with the ever-increasing parity, it could become tougher with each passing year.

"Big time" BCS program? Come on, Mike. We have been to two BCS bowls in the KF Era. Hardly "big time".

I am all for staff changes when a Norm Parker-type retires, or a Soup Campbell is brought on when the timing is right. But summarily making changes shows potential assistants that a program is willing to dump at the drop of a hat (all this under the auspices that the HC stays when this happens). If you think job security isn't important, why are people screaming about unemployment numbers?

I realize that is somewhat of an oversimplification, but staff stability affects recruiting as well as program consistency. It took exactly one year for people to start laughing at Michigan. It will be three or more years for their return to "respectability". A program/state our size would take longer.

Kirk started with two losing seasons, added to Hayden's last (losing) season. So, IOWA is "capable" of adapting quickly. But with the ever-increasing parity, it could become tougher with each passing year.

And yet that's what almost every other school does. LSU has went through several assistant changes on the offensive side the last few years, how has that negatively affected them? Your argument that we shouldn't want coaches to have to be worried about job security is laughable. That's how you produce a team like this, when you don't have to worry about your performance and can be come complacent. And lucky for you Iowa has achieved it.

The only thing that would make me want Ferentz to stick around at this point is for him to apologize for losing these crap games and address the fanbase and tell us, We are IOWA, We do NOT Lose to ISU anymore, we do NOT lose to Minnesota anymore, we do NOT Lose to Northwestern anymore. And we will fight Wisconsin, OSU, Nebraska and anyone else tooth and nail every time.

And yet that's what almost every other school does. LSU has went through several assistant changes on the offensive side the last few years, how has that negatively affected them? Your argument that we shouldn't want coaches to have to be worried about job security is laughable. That's how you produce a team like this, when you don't have to worry about your performance and can be come complacent. And lucky for you Iowa has achieved it.

I'm not saying not to make changes when they are warranted. But what assistants have consistently under-performed? And what of the argument that the assistants do what the HC wants in the first place? Either the assistant staff turns over for legitimate reasons, or the whole staff turns over.

With regard to the LSU changes, were each of those coaches fired? Any of them? I get that an assistant might leave. My point is, changing out assistants who are employing the philosophy of the HC sends a definite "mixed message".

I'm not saying not to make changes when they are warranted. But what assistants have consistently under-performed? And what of the argument that the assistants do what the HC wants in the first place? Either the assistant staff turns over for legitimate reasons, or the whole staff turns over.

With regard to the LSU changes, were each of those coaches fired? Any of them? I get that an assistant might leave. My point is, changing out assistants who are employing the philosophy of the HC sends a definite "mixed message".

Rick Kaczenski. Lester Erb and Darrell Wilson for their special teams work.

Rick Kaczenski. Lester Erb and Darrell Wilson for their special teams work.

Disagree on RK. It's the hand he was dealt, at least for this year. I will admit to concern on DL attrition, but I don't see how any of those leaving has been a huge, or even moderate, success elsewhere.

ZERO disagreement on the ST work. In addition to a simple lecture from a Jr. High coach for humility purposes, each and every player on the field for the onside kick (not the deep man/men) should be running copious amounts of wind sprints and eating buckets of mud.

I saw exactly two Iowa jerseys in the area of that kick. Sickening.

re crony cap and coaches. Getting paid extremy well for lousy outcomes. unlike most of those at my income level I'm AGAINST it.

Disagree on RK. It's the hand he was dealt, at least for this year. I will admit to concern on DL attrition, but I don't see how any of those leaving has been a huge, or even moderate, success elsewhere.

ZERO disagreement on the ST work. In addition to a simple lecture from a Jr. High coach for humility purposes, each and every player on the field for the onside kick (not the deep man/men) should be running copious amounts of wind sprints and eating buckets of mud.

I saw exactly two Iowa jerseys in the area of that kick. Sickening.

He had an NFL defense line last year that consistently underachieved. He's been her a while, it's his job to keep DL guys here and develop them. They work more with him than any other coach, of course it's on him.

We can argue all we want about where Iowa FB stands in the BCS hierarchy, but if we continue to hold ourselves back in terms of expectations, we'll continue to hang out in mediocre bowl games with a nicer one every once in awhile.

All I know is that our coaching staff failed miserably at having our players ready to play yesterday. We can blame it on lower talent levels this year, whatever, but there is no excuse for losing to Minnesota and Iowa State like we did. Our coaching staff is content and they have failed to bring in the talent that is necessary to compete in the Big Ten. Wins over bad NW and Indiana teams generally cloud the truth until a BAD BAD loss like yesterday.

Those Minnesota players were playing with passion yesterday (and they were losing!) at 1-6. We were 5-2 and had a whole lot more to play for (just like last year) and yet we are the team that is FLAT more times than not. We let them game come to us, we let the opposing QB get comfortable and play way over his head (week after week, Jantz, Sunseri, Gray, et al) and we can't tackle with anything close to what resembles fundamentals (yet we tell ourselves our staff coaches the fundamentals better).

We have a content coaching staff that has under-performed on the recruiting trail is GLARINGLY APPARENT, I just don't understand why they feel we can just continue to run the same stuff and expect the sufficient results. WE ARE NOT THE ONLY TEAM THAT IS IMPACTED BY INJURIES yet we always try to play this BLUE COLLAR, NEXT MAN IN MANTRA. Us and every other team in America deals with it.

Some subtle changes in staff and scheme are long over-due. Too many gray haired, content and overpaid assistants on the recruiting trail are starting to rear their ugly head on the scoreboard! I've said it for years, but a good W every once in awhile like the worthless Insight Bowl tends to cloud our objectivity...

Last edited:
Bob doesn't get the ironic title of [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwnWJdV9IM"]THIS MOVIE[/ame].

So much talent squandered with vanilla pass plays and text book play calling. Once again just like last year there was no reason for Iowa to lose to Minnesota. The defense is obviously a problem, but in the end it was the offense that squandered trip after trip to the red zone.

Minnesota played like they are building a better program. Iowa on the other hand exibited the conservatism of age. They took no chances and used the same philosophy that has worked so many times before. Iowa has the talent edge with McNutt, Vandenburg, Coker. They all had a good statistical day. The end result was that the better team lost and the better coached team won.

There may be worse losses in the Kirk Ferentz era as it relates to what it meant to certain seasons, but Iowa's loss to Minnesota this Saturday is certainly a low point.

Before the game, there were debates as to whether or not this year's Minnesota team was the worst in the Big Ten since the 1981 Northwestern team. The amount of points Minnesota had given up in just the first half of their three Big Ten losses was more than 100 points and their offense was the worst in the Big Ten.

Yet Iowa lost to these Gophers, falling to 5-3 with an arduous November slate still to play.

After eight games, you typically know what kind of football team you have. As it relates to this year's Iowa team, the likely reality is that they are just an average football team. They have yet to win on the road, losing to two bad squad's as well as the loss to Penn State, who may be the worst 8-1 team in the history of college football.

Iowa's defense couldn't get off the field in the fourth quarter, but it was the offense who failed the team on this day, something we have been saying since November of 2010.

When you have a rusher that puts up 252 yards, the third highest single game total in school history, you should not lose a football game. When you take into account the other 13 games in Iowa history where it's running back topped the 200-yard mark, they are 12-2. The other loss was at Northwestern in 2005, another game where Iowa led by double-digits in the fourth quarter and where the opponent successfully converted an onside kick.

Iowa had been stellar in the redzone this year, scoring on 26 of its 27 trips. In this game, they were just 3 of 6, missing a 24-yard field goal, a 43 yard field goal and a fumble on a blindside blitz sack. Each of those miscues was very costly in a game that you lose by one point.

When you put up nearly 300 yards in the first half, you should score more than seven points. Iowa didn't and it lost the game.

While Iowa's defense is challenged from a personnel standpoint, something we knew would be the case back in January, they allow the opposing quarterback to get far too comfortable. Is it a coincidence that opposing quarterbacks put up one of their best games of their respective seasons when they play Iowa?

Look at this year; Steele Jantz had a game for the ages and has since been benched. Matt McGloin was solid against Iowa, by far his best game. Marqueis Gray has been abysmal this season throwing the ball, completing less than 50 percent of his passes. Against Iowa? 11-17. Indiana's true freshman looked good...and so on.

Once upon a time, perhaps you could get away with the base defense Iowa played. But today's quarterbacks are a different breed. They run the spread offense in high school and have been making quick decisions and hitting underneath routes for years before they get to college. Where Iowa's defense is willing to take its chances plays right into where today's quarterbacks are strong.

That's not to pin this game on the defense; they played their best game of the season through three quarters. But it was the onside kick recovery in the fourth quarter that broke Iowa's back...it's also the second straight year where Minnesota has recovered an onside kick against Iowa to propel them to a victory.

This was also Iowa's 5th straight road loss and James Vandenberg is now 0-4 on the road as Iowa's starting quarterback.

Iowa sits at 5-3 with back to back home games against Michigan and Michigan State. It's very hard to pick Iowa in either one of those games right about now, and I have felt bad about the game at Purdue since the middle of summer. The game at Lincoln looks downright scary right now. The thought of Rex Burkhead slamming into the Iowa defensive front? Yikes.

Iowa needs one more win for bowl eligibility, and this program really needs those 15 bowl practices. We all know they returned the fewest starters of any Big Ten team, so that developmental time is paramount for this club.

Right now, it's tough to be optimistic about any one of these final four games.

Jon

I have season tickets for the Gophers and you can't imagine how brutal the Gophers have been this season. I was at the game and I agree 100% with your post. Watching the Hawkeyes protect a 4th quarter lead under Coach Ferentz is predictable, we make terrible quarterbacks look like Tom Brady. Yesterday's game makes it hard to be a Hawkeye that lives in the Twin Cities, the Gopher fans know they suck and accept it but now for the 2nd year in arow they can remind me that we suck worse.

We are spending money for an elite football program and we arent even close, maybe above averge! I love having Ferentz as our head coach but time to get some new coordinators, we have the money go spend it

OK, I'll play coach.

* Throw the ball to McNutt when he is in single coverage if he is reportedly that good at running under a thrown pass. What is he.....6'4"...geez

* Show some change of pace at RB now and then. Nothing against Coker but he doesn't have break away speed. Some big holes were there several times yesterday and Canzeri could have run further than Coker and maybe gone the distance. What did we burn his redshirt for?

* With 8 minutes remaining and the trailing team (a team desperate for a win for their new coach and a team with nothing to lose) closing the gap, why in the world would you not plan for an onside kick?

* What happened to the hurry up offense?

* I'm not smart enough to know why 75% of passes seem to be to the sidelines......what happened to the middle of the field?

* One trick play.....reverse to McNutt (?) that gained good yardage. Can't we reach into the bag and find a few more. We get and A+ for being predictable.

........then there's the defense which I would agree is not to blame for yesterday's loss although I don't think we touched Gray that I remember anyway.

There is something definitely missing. Ferentz needs to initiate change within the ranks of his staff. Doing things the same way isn't getting it done. It's almost as if loyalty to his staff takes precedence over the football program itself. It starts with recruiting in my opinion. Have our athletes looked that much better than those at ISU or Minnesota this year? If they are better then why isn't it translating to the field?

I am not in the Fire Ferentz camp. I am disappointed like everyone else, but there are four games left to play out this year. Even then, the guy has built up a great deal of goodwill and he's been a damn good coach for Iowa.

I get that people are ticked, but I think some people are over reacting a bit here.

Yes.

I'm a die hard fan of the Hawk's and am smart enough to realize we will never on a year to year basis be able to recruit/compete with the LSU's, Alabama's and even Ohio State for that matter but can't live with the losing to the bottom feeders of the league on a regular basis as well as bad ISU teams. 8 wins seasons with losses to the other top tear teams is bearable but these losses are not. After all our early game failures to put points on the board, I told the other half that this game was going to be a loss. No urgency ever by the staff or the players! You know what they say, a team is a mirror of their coach and this team shows as much spirit and desire as the guy taking notes all game. Coker was the only player to display any emotion the entire game and why do we always have to make the usually struggling opposing QB into an all american? Our 2 supposedly all big ten corners have played like freshman lately and the line backers are always a step behind. Love Norm but hard for him to inspire from the press box! I know, a bad deal but sometimes you have to realoze when it's time to pass the baton.

Latest posts