Miller: leave the Hubbard thing alone

The article should have been edited and condensed. The general theme and antecdotes could have been accurately conveyed in one-third of the words used.

One of the cool things about having your own website is that you sort of get to say what you want and how you want to say it. So it was exactly as long as it should have been ;)

Now, as to whether or not people want to read what you write, that's the balancing act.

This site just had its 10th anniversary on 4/12/11, and given that we have averaged 100,000 unique visitors per month for the past five months and close to a half billion page views over the past decade, I am taking that as validation to keep on doing things the way I have from a writing perspective.

One of the cool things about having your own website is that you sort of get to say what you want and how you want to say it. So it was exactly as long as it should have been ;)

Now, as to whether or not people want to read what you write, that's the balancing act.

This site just had its 10th anniversary on 4/12/11, and given that we have averaged 100,000 unique visitors per month for the past five months and close to a half billion page views over the past decade, I am taking that as validation to keep on doing things the way I have from a writing perspective.

/ end of thread

Jon:

Not telling you how to run your website or forcing you to validate and/or justify your website's existence, just stating that the article could have been condensed. You thought the piece was the correct length, I merely stated that you could have claimed the same in one-third the words. It was an interesting (albeit, unoriginal) take and I'll be interested to do a compare and contrast your article to the other Iowa beat writers who will publish a similar pieces.

If you really want to think out of the box, how about an article on the whereabouts of Hubbard's co-conspirators. Where are they now? Do they stay in contact with Hubbard? Or, what was Hubbard's regimen while in prison? Was he able to workout? Play basketball? Or, better yet, how did Hubbard market himself once he was released from prison? What steps or promises did he have to make?

To me, the angles set forth in the previous paragraph are much more intriguing and better copy than an attempted comparison between a 40 year old white guy who convicted of a simple misdemeanor and probably had to spend a night in jail (oh, the horror) and a 25 year old black athlete who was convicted of a felony. But, that's just my take. If you want to continue to churn out unoriginal and unedited material, please do so. Because, like you said, it's your website.

Jon:

Not telling you how to run your website or forcing you to validate and/or justify your website's existence, just stating that the article could have been condensed. You thought the piece was the correct length, I merely stated that you could have claimed the same in one-third the words. It was an interesting (albeit, unoriginal) take and I'll be interested to do a compare and contrast your article to the other Iowa beat writers who will publish a similar pieces.

I have no problems with your opinion on what I wrote. I know not all are going to see eye to eye with it. And sure, I could have written fewer words, but I don't sit down and put myself in a box. I have general ideas for themes and I just sit down and their write themselves.

I have as much space as I need, and am going to keep doing things the way I have for the past 11 years I have been in this genre...during that time, more than a few people haven't cared for how I do things, and they aren't here (or they are here, and just dont post here and take shots elsewhere). That's fine too.

However, it is interesting that you talk about how my item was unoriginal, yet in another post you say I was the first to write about it. It will also be interesting to see you compare and contrast what I wrote, which you acknowledge is the first take on this situation, to others who write opinion pieces that come after mine.

I guess you'd probably be better off comparing their originality than mine, since again, as you said, mine was 'ahead of the curve'.

Your course seems like a meandering contradiction.

jwiley - I'm by no means a Miller sheep, never rush to defend him or anything like that. But he's right - his piece came out immediately and it was (like you said in so many words) an original take. To cover some of the angles you mentioned (and they are interesting angles) would take some time and research to do right. It appears you are going out of your way to be critical.

Jon:

If you really want to think out of the box, how about an article on the whereabouts of Hubbard's co-conspirators. Where are they now? Do they stay in contact with Hubbard? Or, what was Hubbard's regimen while in prison? Was he able to workout? Play basketball? Or, better yet, how did Hubbard market himself once he was released from prison? What steps or promises did he have to make?

To me, the angles set forth in the previous paragraph are much more intriguing and better copy than an attempted comparison between a 40 year old white guy who convicted of a simple misdemeanor and probably had to spend a night in jail (oh, the horror) and a 25 year old black athlete who was convicted of a felony. But, that's just my take. If you want to continue to churn out unoriginal and unedited material, please do so. Because, like you said, it's your website.

Considering the kid just signed with Iowa let's wait a few days before we dive into a 1:1 and get the in(s) and outs of his prison routine. You say Jon's article was too long and unoriginal ... interesting ... because obviously you took the time to read it.

I think Jon is just laying the foundation so Hawk fans have a clear understanding of this kid's background. To my knowledge, this is the first Iowa recruit (in any sport) with a felony background so it will come up throughout Hubbard's career. Jon's position was to give the kid a chance; that we all deserve a second chance. And that we can and do make bad decisions in life.

It is easy to sit back and critique an article you don't agree with. This was not an in-depth 1:1 piece with Hubbard; this was strictly Jon's take on giving the kid another chance and why. I think you are looking too much into this.

The kid just signed with Iowa so obviously fans are going to be curious about his background. The sooner we can get it out there and understand the situation the sooner we can move on. Of course, unfortunately for Hubbard he will be a target during road games and will be subject to commentary for national media who cover the Hawkeyes.

That being said ... maybe some day doing an in-depth 1:1 with Hubbard will be on the horizon. As a former reporter, I don't think I would feel the need to go down the path of asking Hubbard what his former conspirators are doing these days ... Or if he keeps in touch with them, etc. I think what is more interesting is to get his take on how he thinks he will relate to the "younger" players on the team and how will he prepare himself for hostile road environments -- where fans are sure to heckle him.

I think you are being a little too harsh on Jon. This is one piece out of thousands Jon has written. It is not like Jon is only pumping out one article a week. This is just one angle to a story.

I actually like the comparison Jon used when talking about Hubbard. However, I would be more inclined to believe that someone like Jon, a recovering alcoholic, would be more of a risk to start drinking again than Anthony Hubbard would be to be involved in a robbery again or do anything to jeopardize a future that he has worked so hard on to reconstruct.

I am not saying that Jon will start drinking again, because he won't. It is just an example, just like Jon gave in his original article. Nobody knows the circumstances of the robbery that Hubbard was involved in. What if the guys he was with asked him to stop by a house and Hubbard had no idea what was going on? Maybe he knew all along that it was a planned robbery? The fact is, he turned himself and spent four years in prison because of his actions.

After completing his sentence, instead of returning to a life a crime, he decided to make something of his life. He wanted to go to a JUCO near his home but was denied. Instead of turning back to a life of crime defeated, he made the difficult decision to leave home and attend college in Texas, where by all accounts was a model citizen and student athlete. He earned the chance to attend the JUCO close to home the next year. By all accounts once again, he was a model citizen and student athlete. He has now earned the opportunity to continue his education and basketball career at a 4 year school.

Anthony Hubbard has turned his life around. We should be celebrating him, his story and the opportunity he has created for himself, instead of sitting on pins and needles waiting for him to screw up!!! If this works out, Anthony Hubbard may be one of the best role models that the University of Iowa has ever graduated???

Last edited:
Actually, I had the opposite opinion of Jon's piece. He put his personal life out there, opened his book a bit and showed people that everyone makes mistakes. For Jon to air some of that stuff had to take some balls.

+1

I have no issues with Jon being honest on here....it's refreshing actually.

And when told in context with the new recruit, it should give people something to think about if they want to judge Hubbard.

I take it Jon showed up at your place, beat you into submission, threatened your family, forced you to visit HN and made you read everything Hubbard related!?!? That sucks...he shouldn't do that to people! That's a "bad Jon"! BAD JON!!!:mad:

As for "Not interested in your response until you grow up." Does that mean "I just wanted to b!tch, but out of fear I have no intentions of checking back in and getting into a debate over the matter, but I'll lurk to see what you say?"...
you can't argue with that.

The article should have been edited and condensed.
There's a scene in the movie AMADEUS where a King tells Mozart he has too many notes in one of his works. The King comes off as an idiot.

Honestly, I didn't want to join in but I decided to.
I for one really like and appreciate Jon's input and work. If you don't want to read his article, then don't. I also found it quite long, but a very interesting read, and for that I thank you, Jon.
What you (and others) do for this site and band of hawk fans really makes me proud to be a part of it. Keep the articles coming.

The context the discussions about Hubbard focus on "second chance", "giving him another chance", "redemption", etc. Why? He got his second chance when he went to JC, continued his bball career, continued his education, did well in both by all accounts, and kept out of trouble. What magic line does Hubbard have to cross to be "redeemed"? Or will he ever in some of your eyes? What does he have to do so that when he comes to a milestone in his life it is not treated as a "second chance"? The kid has paid his debt to society, and his actions indicate he is motivated to bettering himself and his life. Why can't we say: "Welcome aboard, Mr. Hubbard, look forward to watching you reach your goals the next 2 yrs, and keep up the good work." - and leave it at that? Even though it is looking less like it everyday, this is still America right?

Latest posts