Miller: leave the Hubbard thing alone

elijahhawke

you're beating it to death and putting yourself in the class with Dodd and some of the others that don't know when to quit; all of your surmizing is over the top. Leave the kid alone and let the thing work itself out. Hubbard doesn't need all your hypothetical situational chatter, nor does he need you reliving his crime daily; nor does he deserve the treatment. Come down off your perch and stop coming at this thing in the garb the Pharisees and Scribes left behind. Change your moniker for the site to 'grandmother of them all," because that's just what you sound like. Not interested in your response until you grow up.

I thought Jon's article was in response to all the other chatter on the board. He wanted to get his opinion stated (many people put a lot of weight in Jon's thoughts on this board). This website reflects him especially if he doesn't specifically get his opinion out there. I agree this may be overkill for someone that isn't on campus yet, but no reason to call anyone out much less tell someone to grow up. You don't want to read it? Don't click on it.

I didn't see all the chatter...

We've all known his past and the risk it is taking him. All the posts I saw were people saying that he's turned his life around and were nothing but positive.

Maybe the story is getting beat to death and maybe the piece is a little over the top, but I feel that we are excited for the future of Iowa basketball, and are all curious to see what is going on in the recruiting front. He is the new commit, who is a 26 year old with some past issues. Obviously it will be talked about.

you're beating it to death and putting yourself in the class with Dodd and some of the others that don't know when to quit; all of your surmizing is over the top. Leave the kid alone and let the thing work itself out. Hubbard doesn't need all your hypothetical situational chatter, nor does he need you reliving his crime daily; nor does he deserve the treatment. Come down off your perch and stop coming at this thing in the garb the Pharisees and Scribes left behind. Change your moniker for the site to 'grandmother of them all," because that's just what you sound like. Not interested in your response until you grow up.

I take it Jon showed up at your place, beat you into submission, threatened your family, forced you to visit HN and made you read everything Hubbard related!?!? That sucks...he shouldn't do that to people! That's a "bad Jon"! BAD JON!!!:mad:

As for "Not interested in your response until you grow up." Does that mean "I just wanted to b!tch, but out of fear I have no intentions of checking back in and getting into a debate over the matter, but I'll lurk to see what you say?"...

Maybe the story is getting beat to death and maybe the piece is a little over the top, but I feel that we are excited for the future of Iowa basketball, and are all curious to see what is going on in the recruiting front. He is the new commit, who is a 26 year old with some past issues. Obviously it will be talked about.

This.

I liked the piece. I have some things in my past that kick me in the butt when applying for jobs and I don't get a lot of 2nd chances in my line of work. I am not in an ideal work situation right now because of it. I thought it was well written and it had crossed my mind in that same way.

Beating a dead horse and only continues to bring harm to the Iowa bball program, imo. Most have moved on to Tuesday and does either recruit from Sun Rise commit to Iowa.

I think the OP makes a fair point. At some point Hubbard needs to be recognized for what he has done the past three years and his eagerness to become a Hawkeye. Let the other stuff go. Enough.

Hubbard doesn't need all your hypothetical situational chatter, nor does he need you reliving his crime daily; nor does he deserve the treatment.
Whether or not he deserves the reliving of the crime or other treatment is debateable. But it's something he and Iowa fans are going to have to live with while he's at Iowa. Local reporters will ask him about it at every road game. The fans at other Big10 schools will likely come up with some mean-spirited chants. If he's having a good game, the TV anouncers will bring up his past.

During the recruiting process I'm sure that Fran and others have told Hubbard that this will be coming his way, and they must have some degree of comfort that he will be able to handle it.

The OP had a fair point to start with and than his last few sentences took his decent post and made it horrible

For many this is not yet old news. He just committed this weekend. My parents called me last night to talk about "this guy Iowa just signed that had been to prison" because they'd just seen an article in the Gazette about it for the first time yesterday. It's still early enough for it to be an intriguing story.

You are getting out over your ski tips a bit with the second Pharisee reference you have made to me on this topic. You have actually read what I have written, right? If so, then you'd realize I am actually someone that is FOR giving second chances, someone that isn't afraid to admit how I have needed them....the Pharisees didn't go that route.

I don't mind that some are critical for what I write or the opinions I give, but if you are gonna bring it, at least understand how you are criticizing as opposed to just saying big words you read in your bible and understand if their application fits.

You are getting out over your ski tips a bit with the second Pharisee reference you have made to me on this topic. You have actually read what I have written, right? If so, then you'd realize I am actually someone that is FOR giving second chances, someone that isn't afraid to admit how I have needed them....the Pharisees didn't go that route.

I don't mind that some are critical for what I write or the opinions I give, but if you are gonna bring it, at least understand how you are criticizing as opposed to just saying big words you read in your bible and understand if their application fits.

Boom. Roasted.

Actually, I had the opposite opinion of Jon's piece. He put his personal life out there, opened his book a bit and showed people that everyone makes mistakes. For Jon to air some of that stuff had to take some balls.

Amen !! Leave the athelete alone, give him a chance to redeem himself, and appreciate his new opportunity.

Jon's word usage in the thread title was poor. 'Dealing With It' really wasn't the tone he should have gone with in previewing the piece. The article really doesn't read like that headline would suggest.

Latest posts