Miller: I was Wrong About Kirk Ferentz

Save for Minnesota and Tennessee, Iowa could have easily won every game last year with just slightly better QB play. 11-2. Many of us said it on here last year, CJB is better than Jake and Kurt knew he had to make the change. He did, and here we are with 11 wins. I don't think Iowa is an elite team by any means and I am certain that the 2008 and 2009 teams would destroy this team, but with CJB in there, we finally have an offense on par with what O'Keefe had when he left. Kurt has made some changes and appeased the fan base for now, but wait until next year, when we have lofty expectations and lose to Iowa State or Northwestern before you declare yourself wrong about Kurt. Please.

Save for Minnesota and Tennessee, Iowa could have easily won every game last year with just slightly better QB play. 11-2. Many of us said it on here last year, CJB is better than Jake and Kurt knew he had to make the change. He did, and here we are with 11 wins. I don't think Iowa is an elite team by any means and I am certain that the 2008 and 2009 teams would destroy this team, but with CJB in there, we finally have an offense on par with what O'Keefe had when he left. Kurt has made some changes and appeased the fan base for now, but wait until next year, when we have lofty expectations and lose to Iowa State or Northwestern before you declare yourself wrong about Kurt. Please.

I know I shouldn't and normally I wouldn't but OK4P, I'd like you to stop. I have read this site for a long time and you just don't like KF. We are better than O'Keefe in many ways and it is apparent to a lifer fan. Be thankful and don't be so negative always regarding KF.
Thanks.

Kurt has made some changes and appeased the fan base for now, but wait until next year, when we have lofty expectations and lose to Iowa State or Northwestern before you declare yourself wrong about Kurt. Please.

Two things... First, it's amusing watching people say he only made these changes to appease the fan base... could they be more egotistical? It's like they've dismissed the possibility that the guy has a great deal of pride in doing what he believes to be his best and being able to examine his own performance and know when he hasn't done his best... no... if not for the experts on discussion forums he'd never make any changes that would enhance his performance and give the team a better chance to win. YAY US!!!! How utterly absurd.

Second... his name is Kirk. If, after all these years and all he's accomplished personally and professionally, he hasn't earned enough of your respect to forego the silly third grade name thing you really might consider that it's time to stop pretending to be a fan and admit that you're really little more than a critic with an interest.

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't and normally I wouldn't but OK4P, I'd like you to stop. I have read this site for a long time and you just don't like KF. We are better than O'Keefe in many ways and it is apparent to a lifer fan. Be thankful and don't be so negative always regarding KF.
Thanks.

Look, man, I have always said that Iowa football usually isn't as bad as it looks and it usually isn't as good as it looks. We've got a nice ball club, but I honestly don't think we are much better than we were last year, it's just that our opposition has gotten worse and our QB play has gotten better. I want nothing more than Iowa to play 4 more hours of solid football and walk away with the national title, but I don't think we have seen some turning point with Ferentz. Ferentz just has been bailed out by finding a stud QB and he woke up (too late, IMHO) to that fact and has benefited tremendously. Our defense is very suspect and the one game we played against a decent defense, we put up 10 points and only won because they fumbled on the goal line. Northwestern is our lone "quality win" and I guaranteed everyone we would dismantle them, which we did, because they are very soft in the trenches.

I don't mind KF, I agree with his style of slowing the game down because it gives us the best chance to win, it's just that I don't want to see him get another $20 million extension that could irreparably harm the long term viability of the program. These sorts of "KF is awesome" stories are always followed by a huge extension.

Two things... First, it's amusing watching people say he only made these changes to appease the fan base... could they be more egotistical? It's like they've dismissed the possibility that the guy has a great deal of pride in doing what he believes to be his best and being able to examine his own performance and know when he hasn't done his best... no... if not for the experts on discussion forums he'd never make any changes that would enhance his performance and give the team a better chance to win. YAY US!!!! How utterly absurd.

Second... his name is Kirk. If, after all these years and all he's accomplished personally and professionally, he hasn't earned enough of your respect to forego the silly third grade name thing you really might consider that it's time to stop pretending to be a fan and admit that you're really little more than a critic with an interest.

If Ferentz hadn't been on hot seat lists, I guarantee you that we would be 7-4 right now with Jake Rudock preparing for a start against Nebraska. Tell yourself he just had an epiphany.

Second... his name is Kirk. If, after all these years....earned enough of your respect to forego the silly third grade name thing you really might consider that it's time to stop pretending to be a fan and admit that you're really little more than a critic with an interest.

I agree. I know I'll get slammed for saying it, but it has grown old, and it is disrespectful. Just stop already.

jon..You/I were both wrong about what Kirk "could" do... following last season. But we were dead on accurate about what he "did" do between 2011-2014. It all counts...and it's all real.

The KFz comeback of 2015 has been incredible. The old coach has shown he's got plenty left in him. Coach of the year in the Big Ten if not the Nation IMHO.

Last edited:

I have been having that debate with myself. how much better is the 2015 team than the 2013 team. The 2013 team lost to NIU, Wisc, MSU, and OSU and beat Neb, Mich, NW, Minn, ISU, Pur.

So I guess the answer is we really won't know until Iowa plays Neb and MSU.

I think KF just re-dedicated himself to crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's like he did from 1999 through 2010. It seems KF took his mind off the program for awhile as he sort of said himself. I admit I was very disagreeable with sticking with Rudock last year and mentioned it on this site many times.

But the change to CJ has rejuvenated the offense with more scoring, consistency, and big plays. I would say that this years team with a healthy Drew Ott would give the 2008 and 2009 hawk teams a battle because this years team can stop the run, Ott could rush the passer, and the offense scores points without making mistakes.

The deification of Kirk is a bad idea. Nothing against Jon's work. I think he always calls things in a fair way. But 6 ranked seasons out of 17 doesn't make you an elite coach. Kirk is a good coach. But he's not in the same league as a Saban or Meyer. Nothing wrong with that, but in the off-season Barta is going to compound a problem he already has. Barta may benefit - Kirk may benefit. But IMO, the institution known as U of Iowa deserves to have its interests placed ahead of individuals.

This is a great season, no doubt. But it's what we thought we were buying back in 2010 with that insane contract. IMO, it came later than it should have. And it almost didn't come at all.

Look, man, I have always said that Iowa football usually isn't as bad as it looks and it usually isn't as good as it looks. We've got a nice ball club, but I honestly don't think we are much better than we were last year, it's just that our opposition has gotten worse and our QB play has gotten better. I want nothing more than Iowa to play 4 more hours of solid football and walk away with the national title, but I don't think we have seen some turning point with Ferentz. Ferentz just has been bailed out by finding a stud QB and he woke up (too late, IMHO) to that fact and has benefited tremendously. Our defense is very suspect and the one game we played against a decent defense, we put up 10 points and only won because they fumbled on the goal line. Northwestern is our lone "quality win" and I guaranteed everyone we would dismantle them, which we did, because they are very soft in the trenches.

I don't mind KF, I agree with his style of slowing the game down because it gives us the best chance to win, it's just that I don't want to see him get another $20 million extension that could irreparably harm the long term viability of the program. These sorts of "KF is awesome" stories are always followed by a huge extension.

I agree with this. I would say add to it that he had no choice but to play a rb at the position instead of a fullback this year as well. CJB and that are the big difference this year, and what you mentioned above. Not that KF had some epiphany. On defense Jewell has developed as well.

"Eeeehhhh" ala Fonz...well played JM...we all asked to see "tweaks" to a product gone stale...if the tweaks weren't going to come, than we wanted change at the top. I think against most odds, this season, and the MANY different things done to get to this point this season, have vindicated KF of most misgivings about his team's on field display (even in the clock mgmt shortcomings).

I think most all fans saw how good (great can be used) and dedicated he was/is to most every other coaching aspect of his tenure here at Iowa, except providing a fully "entertaining" and competitive on field, game day experience the past four years. Especially in light of what our percieved schedule had been in the most recent years.

Many things came together for this season to happen, but I think it was evident to most after the first B1G game (which 3 of those first 5 could have gone either way on the outcome), that there were significant changes made, and that KF 3.0, or New Kirk, had emerged. The undefeated season thus far has just been a bonus. A big bonus at that.

I am glad for us as fans that it has played out this way. No one seriously forsaw us to be where we are at this point, nor needed us to be here at 11-0, having the potential to not only be B1G champs, but for the U of I to be in serious discussion in late Nov within EVERY media conversation about iowa being one of the best teams in the entire country...in order to vindicate KF.

Further, I am even happier for KF that it has played out this way, insuring his legacy at Iowa will end up being positive beyond any doubt, from most any fan, and may quite possibly measure up in many ways now, for him to be in elite territory as not only being one of the best Hawkeye coaches, but to be in the talk of being a HOF college coach for his career here at Iowa.

Regardless how the next 3 (or 4?) games play out, shy of total team collapse, I am glad that we were able to witness the turnaround that has occurred, versus the potential pitfalls and question marks that would have come with a new commander at the helm. I wanted tweaks, and when those didnt pan out, I too wanted change altogether, and I am now glad that any potential "hook" was slow to come.

This may not appear to be the "best" team talent wise at iowa, but it is already almost being guaranteed as one of the best, "record" and ranking wise. The story isn't over, but I think that the legacy of KF, and the status of our football program, is going to be safe going forward over the near future.

Excellent article Mr. Miller. I've been unwavering in my support for Kirk Ferentz. Many on these forums said he was a terrible coach and so were his assistants. Can you say "Big 10 Coach of the Year"? How about National Coach of the year? Many on these forums want to say Beathard and a few players developed and get credit. I guess that makes Coach Ferentz a great recruiter/talent scout and superior at developing talented football players. Those who claim their critical opinions are behind the turn around in the football program are partially correct. I'd give you maybe 1% of the credit. The rest goes to these coaches and players who worked incredibly hard to make us proud to be fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes.

If you're 45 or younger you have a different perspective than those of us much older. I've followed the team through different eras of football, from limited substitution to today's spread offense style. Each Iowa coach since Evy has had to work under different rules and conditions. Hayden had the benefit of greater number of scholarships. Kirk has worked with 85. There are just a handful of teams that can be regularly ranked at season's end. He has won much more than he has lost. Just glad didn't fix what wasn't broken.

If you're 45 or younger you have a different perspective than those of us much older. I've followed the team through different eras of football, from limited substitution to today's spread offense style. Each Iowa coach since Evy has had to work under different rules and conditions. Hayden had the benefit of greater number of scholarships. Kirk has worked with 85. There are just a handful of teams that can be regularly ranked at season's end. He has won much more than he has lost. Just glad didn't fix what wasn't broken.

Actually you have that backwards. The higher scholarship number was widely thought to give the "big" programs an advantage as they could stock up. The 85 limit introduced more parity as some of those players that a Michigan or Penn St would have signed in the past with the additional scholarships were now available for a team like IOWA. The big guys were less able to hoard all the talent.

Latest posts