Miller: Hawks Take Two Steps Back

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa lost 13-3 at Penn State, which is a shocking point total for this Iowa offense given the production we had seen in recent weeks.

Iowa amassed 640 total yards in their previous five quarters before the start of the game against Penn State and more than 60 points.

On Saturday in Happy Valley, Iowa gained just 253 yards and scored three points. Those numbers are alarming.

On the one hand, I more than likely overreacted to the positives we saw in the fourth quarter against Pitt and the game against ULM. On the other, this Penn State defense is the best Iowa has seen this season and may be the best they see all year. I don't know that, but Michigan State and Nebraska are the only two defenses remaining on Iowa's schedule that I could envision being better. I am not sold on Michigan State just yet and Nebraska's defense has been one of the most disappointing units in the nation.

However, this Iowa offense is better than just three points and one trip to the redzone; that's a scary stat. Iowa made just one trip to the Penn State redzone for the entire 60 minutes.

There were offensive struggles in numerous areas for Iowa on Saturday.

On their opening drive, they used the no-huddle and moved the ball across midfield. At that point, they stopped using it and promptly punted.

There were times when plays were there to be had but James Vandenberg was either off the mark or the intended target dropped the ball; there were a lot of drops on the day and even Marvin McNutt was not immune from that.

Kirk Ferentz often talks about execution...I have written several articles on conservative philosophy vs lack of execution through the years.

There seemed to be a bit of both on Saturday. Iowa shot itself in the foot on offense and they had some opportunities at some turnovers on defense and could not pull the trigger.

However, Iowa's overall offensive game plan seemed like it was torn out of a recent Hawkeye history book;

-Keep things close to the vest on offense
-Pound the ball to set up play action later in the game
-Don't get aggressive with the ball before halftime with more than 1:40 on the clock and two timeouts

That philosophy has worked well for Kirk Ferentz and he's won quite a bit using it.

However, this isn't the year to use that formula, because the other indgredients in that recipie for success included a Top Ten defense, something Iowa has had the last three years.

They don't have that this year.

Hey, I don't want to rip the defense, because they did their job. They kept the game close (it was 6-3 Nits until 8:08 in the fourth quarter) regardless of how many yards they gave up.

This is going to be a defense that will give up yards, we've known that since January.

Therefore this is going to be a team that needs its offense to carry its weight, something we have also known since January.

The offense didn't do its part today, much in the way it didn't do its part against Iowa State on the road a month ago.

These two road games have something in common; conservative offensive game plans. At least that's how I saw it from the couch, though I am certainly willing to read and hear more comments from the coaches from the post game.

I don't know what the game plan was and I realize that after Penn State went on a long field goal scoring drive in the first quarter (18 plays, 88 yards and over eight minutes long) you don't want to go no huddle and be three and out to put your defense back on the field.

Still, it just felt like the staff played this one real close to the vest. It felt like the players were being put into tough spots, having to convert lower percentage chances due to some predictable play calling.

Penn State looked like it had tapped into Iowa's offensive hand signals or something, because they were dialing up things correctly all day long.

Perhaps Iowa felt it could play it close against a Penn State offense that had looked weak and uncertain the previous four games. That offense didn't look great, but the Iowa offense sure as heck didn't look like one that had an extra week to work on its identity.

That is perhaps the biggest concern I take away from this game. Iowa was coming off of a bye week, a chance to work on things, tweak some things and add a few new wrinkles. They had a chance to drill, drill and drill on offense and keep the momentum going in the passing game.

Instead, this game just felt real familiar, sans the nationally ranked defense.

Finally, Iowa had the ball at its own 20 yard line with 1:49 to go before halftime and two timeouts. I jokingly tweeted 'handoff to Coker' as the Iowa offense jogged onto the field. In past years, I felt you could make book on that one. This year? I felt things would be different based on the performances we had seen in the past two games.

Sure enough, Iowa handed the ball off to Marcus Coker and only chose to attack after picking up a first down on a third and five play and after more than a minute of that 1:49 had gone from the clock.

After the Pittsburgh game, with the furious fourth quarter finish, I wrote that the toothpaste was out of the tube and it would be difficult to put it back in.

We hit that point today...it felt like some folks were trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle and the offense looked a lot like it did against Iowa State and the first three quarters of the Pittsburgh game; confused, uncertain and uncomfortable.

Perhaps it's just a matter not wanting to beat yourself on the road with a team that is still searching for its identity.

Beating yourself on the road with aggressive turnovers is a sure way to get lose.

Then again, Iowa heads home with a road loss because it appeared not to use all of the weapons it has shown to have in its arsenal.

Me? I'd rather go down guns blazing.

Iowa finds itself at 3-2 with losses against two teams that it could have beaten. They have four of their next five games at home.

Will Iowa make a firm and final decision on who it is offensively? Will they open it up at home due to this stretch of the schedule? Perhaps the only good that will come from this loss is the Iowa coaching staff will know, beyond a doubt, what this offense has to be this year.

I hope so, otherwise we can expect similar results this year.

This week, it looks like Iowa thought it could steal one on the road...but in the end, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I agree completely Jon. This conservative strategy has worked in the past, but it won't work this year. Not with this defense. I just don't understand why we didn't attempt to open it up more on offense. If the old saying is true that "players take on the identity of their coach", well then this game was the perfect evidence of that. Ferentz coached conservative and timid, and that is exactly how the team played. Playing timid on the road in the B1G is a good way to get a loss and that is exactly what just happened. I expect a much better performance against Northwestern in one week.

Personally, I think KF is in a tough spot.
His defense, particularly his DL is quite possibly the worst its been in a loooong time.
The defense in total is not very good.

So you wanna run a high tempo, no huddle, pass-fest and HOPE that you can generate quite a few points. Sounds great, but if you don't score a lot of points, you're actually exposing your own weakness even more.

Not totally disagreeing with what you wrote, just think its a little more complicated than just open it up.

The one glaring observation I have from today was the routes that were run. EVERYTHING was within 10yds of the line of scrimmage. JVB threw ONE ball DOWN the field.

I don't expect much from this team, really haven't all season. I think they'll be fairly competitive but I also think they get blown out 2-3 times. If this team makes it to 7 wins, that's a pretty good job with this group. Next year may actually be worse.

I couldn't agree with you more John. I posted since the end of the game that the offensive philosophy needs to change. What we seen in the Pitt game may have been a fluke....but you know what? It was a spread offense and it was damn fun to watch. At least during the Pitt game I had no idea what was coming...in the Penn St game however I could tell, from down and distance, what play was going to be run from the toilet! If the casual fan knows whats coming, what chance does the Iowa offense have? I will watch them win or lose, but is like watching an outdated product....you have deep ties to it.....but you always want the new one.

Personally, I think KF is in a tough spot.
His defense, particularly his DL is quite possibly the worst its been in a loooong time.
The defense in total is not very good.

So you wanna run a high tempo, no huddle, pass-fest and HOPE that you can generate quite a few points. Sounds great, but if you don't score a lot of points, you're actually exposing your own weakness even more.

Not totally disagreeing with what you wrote, just think its a little more complicated than just open it up.

The one glaring observation I have from today was the routes that were run. EVERYTHING was within 10yds of the line of scrimmage. JVB threw ONE ball DOWN the field.

I don't expect much from this team, really haven't all season. I think they'll be fairly competitive but I also think they get blown out 2-3 times. If this team makes it to 7 wins, that's a pretty good job with this group. Next year may actually be worse.

I dont disagree with you either...which is why I talked a bit about this.

But I look at it this way; you can lose with a better rested defense just as easily as you can lose with a tired defense because your offense may have a short possession.

I'd rather have the latter.

Iowa was 7-16 on third downs today, on the road. respectable..and mostly out of under center, normal tempo looks...and PSU had the ball for nearly 12 more minutes.

I kept waiting for the offense to break out.

I would like to know what happened downfield with our receivers. Were they getting open? Couldn't tell on television.

I kept waiting for the offense to break out.

I would like to know what happened downfield with our receivers. Were they getting open? Couldn't tell on television.

I did notice that PSU safeties were playing real, real deep today. They were protecting over the top...which also means they are a long, long way from the corners in press coverage.

and I wonder if that wasn't a big problem today; these receivers not getting off bumps quick enough, disrupting some timing.

I also agree with everything you said Jon. My biggest beef was no change of pace at running back. Where was Canzerri? (spelling). Just another "I'll play the veterans" game. The second half was disappointing at best.

Nice article, but I would make a little change to the title. Instead of Hawks Take Two Steps Back, add to that: and Trip on Their Shoestrings Fall On The Arses Break Their Tailbones But thanks to KF's Conservative Strategy Do Not Split their Skulls Open.
Watta ya think?

the offense this year is so much better than 2007..or the opportunity for it to be is there.

The makeup of the team itself is different but the attitude surrounding the team seems familiar. The ship felt like it was sinking in 2007 and in 2008 they plugged the holes and righted everything. Right now, it feels like the waterline is creeping back up the side of the ship again.

I dont disagree with you either...which is why I talked a bit about this.

But I look at it this way; you can lose with a better rested defense just as easily as you can lose with a tired defense because your offense may have a short possession.

I'd rather have the latter.

Iowa was 7-16 on third downs today, on the road. respectable..and mostly out of under center, normal tempo looks...and PSU had the ball for nearly 12 more minutes.

I get what you're saying, I just think this team is not nearly as talented as you think.
Other than McNutt, that offense doesn't have another guy that can "get his". And Marv didn't have a great day either.

The one adjustment that HAS TO be made is on defense. Iowa is going to have to commit more guys to stop the run & to pressuring the QB & just take their chances with Prater & Hyde on the outside.

With all this said, Penn St's defense is very solid. And I'll guess that Iowa's offense will find some success against a lot of the teams they have left on the schedule.

I think this is really simple, Jon, Iowa just isn't as talented as they've been. And next season may actually be even tougher.

Iowa defense was good, but not great today. But they did their job. Can't complain too much.

I agree with the disgust regarding play calling. Could it be a case, though, where we are trying to "Scratch where it itches", but just couldn't find anywhere to scratch?

Where was Canzeri? Coker looked good at times, but seemed to be "tip toeing" a bit more today. Is he still nicked up? Could it have been beneficial to have a more "quick hitting" back in there...just for a change of pace? Coker is NOT quick. He's big, strong and fast...just not quick.

I know PSU defensive line is big and strong, but our offensive line definitely took a step back today. Run blocking was below average today and pass protection was not good either. I don't think JVB was sacked a lot today, but he was certainly rushed many times...the pocket seemed to close in around him a lot. I'm sure that had an affect on his dismal day.

My expectation had changed to the point that I thought the staff would change things up a bit. But I'm not sure why. Is there any reason to believe they are going to change things that they feel have worked for nearly a decade now?

We could have won today despite the play calling. It just wasn't our day. PSU was the better team. Too many good bounces for PSU. Too many dropped passes, missed blocks and poor tackling for the Hawks. So, it's back to the fundamentals. Go Hawks!

was shocked to see KOK and JVB not test those backup corners out. heck, we had a super height advantage, why only one deep ball? it really looked like we thought we still had Greene back there, but the trouble is we didn't.

can't harp on the D too much, though its obvious we're going to have a long season as we couldn't stop them even when we knew they were running it.

The hawks absolutely have to figure out how to take advantage of mismatches on offense.

They do not have Clayborn, Ballard, Klug, Angerer, et al to bail them out after a 3 and out.

They have to score 21 points per game or more. Period. KF and KOK have to figure out how to get it done offensively.

PSU scored one offensive touchdown. That's not so bad.

I agree with most of Jon's observations too. I couple of things I would like to get others opinions on.

One poster thought Coker tip toed a little too much today and a friend of mine thought he was tentative too. Don't you think that he is not running hard all the time because he knows he needs to last the whole game because our coaching staff will not put in a back up to give him a break? I mean against ULM we burned a redshirt on Canzeri but didn't play him this week. I just don't get it.

The other thing I am getting really tired of is our lack of aggressiveness. When we in the red zone we settled for a field goal. Rather we played for a field goal and didn't even look to the endzone to score a TD. We were content playing for the field goal. For crying out loud they had a true freshman at corner starting his first game. I would have threw towards him all day and exposed him or at least tried a fade route and let McNutt try to out battle him.

I agree with Jon in that this offense has NO identity therefore this offense looks very very confused and unsure of themselves at times. Can't gel together when no one knows what we want to do.

The defense didn't play too terrible all things considered. Especially since we didn't tackle worth a darn. I said after the ISU game that I think this defensive unit is one of the worst tackling defenses we have had in a long time. Also I thought our linebackers were out of position ALOT today. Maybe that is a function of the weaker D-Line.

For a final thought, after the game all I kept thinking was "Is this all we could come up with after having 2 weeks to prepare?" I think this coaching staff has used up all of their ideas and it might be time for some changes.

Latest posts