Miller: Hawkeye Hoops Revival

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Iowa basketball team made just 1 of 7 free throws downs the stretch at Minnesota on Wednesday night, yet they still held on for a 64-62 win as Minnesota's game tying attempt was off the mark. It was Minnesota's first home loss of the season.

It's been a long time since Iowa was in a position like that on the road in the Big Ten. So far in this Big Ten season, Iowa is doing a lot of things it hasn't done in a long time.

Iowa has won back to back Big Ten road games for the first time since 2007, according to Gary Dolphin after the game. Iowa is now 2-1 in the league, the first time they have been above .500 in Big Ten play since 2007, according to Jordan Garretson of The Daily Iowan.

Yes, those are ugly stats. No, I am not likely writing about a team that will play in the NCAA tournament...or maybe any tournament other than the Big Ten tournament, this year.

But I am writing about a basketball TEAM this year.

During his coaching career, Fran McCaffery's teams have gotten demonstrably better in year two than what he inherited in year one. This year's Iowa team is looking to be in that mold, as Iowa has outworked and 'out-hustled' all three of their Big Ten opponents so far this year.

Iowa fell down by 11 points late in the first half, but went on a 10-0 run to trail by one at intermission. They came out firing in the second half, the third straight game they have done so, and took a six-point lead fairly early on. Iowa led the rest of the way and McCaffery made a great coaching move early in the second; Iowa went to a 2-3 zone, trying to slow down the Gophers who shot 54% in the first half.

That move worked, as Minnesota shot just 44% for the game, 37.5% in the second half. Iowa could have walked out of the arena without any heart palpitations had they taken care of the defensive glass, as they were having a hard time rebounding out of that zone. Minnesota had nine offensive rebounds in the second half.

Yet the Hawks didn't wilt on the offensive end of the glass, pushing the ball, setting the tempo and taking care of business when they had to...well, except for those free throws at the end.

Iowa built and maintained their lead in the second half with Melsahn Basabe on the bench. McCaffery went with Devon Archie for much of the second half. I think part of that is due to Archie being a bigger defensive threat on the back end of the 2-3 zone. Basabe got beat on a play down low early in the second half and went to the bench and never returned. If I told you before the game that Basabe would not score, I doubt many fans would have predicted an Iowa win.

If that was the case, it was a big roll of the dice for McCaffery as Archie is just not a threat on offense and a liability at the free throw line. He never took a shot in nine minutes of action, so when he was in the game Iowa was essentially playing four on five on the offensive end.

Matt Gatens led Iowa with 19 points in addition to six rebounds. He also played a stellar floor game, something he has been doing a lot of as of late. If he could have made a few more free throws (he was 3-6) it might have been his best game as a Hawkeye. Those misses aside, it may well have been his best game. It's great to see what he can do with other scoring threats around him on the floor, something he has not had the first three years of his career.

Zach McCabe had 12 points and seven rebonds. He has scored more points in a game before this, but this might have been his best overall game as a Hawkeye. He plays with a toughness that his teammates seem to rally around and he was nails at the end of the first half in all aspects of the game.

Aaron White turned in another solid performance with 10 points and six rebounds.

For the second game in a row, Iowa's opponent struggled from beyond the arc. Minnesota was just 4-23 from three-point range. On Saturday, Wisconsin was just 3-28 from long range. Purdue was 6-20 in the opener, meaning Iowa's opponents have made just 13 of 71 from distance, which is unheard of.

Iowa finished the game -1 on the glass, but I consider that a win for Iowa as they have not been a great rebounding team this season and Minnesota was a bigger team. Both teams had 12 turnovers in this game, which is not a horrible number. In Iowa's first three league games, they have committed 10, 10 and 12 turnovers.

In the end, the Hawkeyes were good enough to build a late lead and hang on for the win. More than a few Hawkeye fans had made an appointment to tune in to watch this game, given Iowa's win at Wisconsin on Saturday.

When you have so many people wanting to believe again, wanting to buy in emotionally, you HAVE to produce in spots like this. You just have to win when the eyeballs are on you.

Iowa did that on Wednesday night and I think winning this game was just as important, if not more so, than the win at Wisconsin for the reason I just mentioned.

The chips were on the table and the Hawks were cash money.

This team returns home on Saturday to take on #6 Ohio State. The game is set for a 2pm tip...good seats remain...let's hope they get filled.

standings.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff...let's hope they practice free throws....- and yes it's nice to "shut up" the Minny fans...their "we hate Iowa" chant is so lame...

Iowa still plays six games this year against Nebraska, Penn State and Northwestern, teams that are a combined 1-7 right now

A great road win to be sure. I'm mostly happy for the kids on the team. Nobody gave them a chance, but they're doing it.

Big Ten network just posted a graphic saying this is the first time Iowa has won consecutive Big Ten road games since 1998.

If we beat Ohio State, it might be time to start thinking about something beyond the conference tournament :D

I already have NIT in the back of my mind. A bad non-conference year makes it hard to think of more. But maybe.......:D

If we beat Ohio State I will poo.

LOL. This post made me poo.

Seriously, though, Jon mentioned that the Hawks played the stretch run with Basabe on the bench. I recall early in the year, many were ripping on his perceived attitude and value as a teammate to the rest of the guys. In this game, Gatens hit a huge bucket just inside the 3:00 mark, and Basabe was one of the most excited players over on the bench. It would be easy for him to pout given his 0 points and having to watch, but he wasn't pouting. I think these guys are all starting to really jell and appreciate each other.

Fifteen more games on the slate. Let's win a bunch of them.

GO HAWKS!!!

I already have NIT in the back of my mind. A bad non-conference year makes it hard to think of more. But maybe.......:D

If by some miracle we pulled off 9-10 wins in conference and won a game or two in the tourney, we would probably be on the bubble at least. But one game at a time; I can't wait for the Buckeyes to come to Carver!

Right. Someone posted on another thread that there are two different stats. It is 06-07 for winning two BT road games in a row, but 1998 for the last time they won two BT road games in a row that were consecutive games. In 06-07, there was a home game in between.

If Iowa could just win the six games Jon mentions, that would already put them 1 game below .500 in conference. Get more wins than 6, Iowa is looking at .500 or better. Never would have thought that after Campbell.

Road wins depends on how you look at it. We did have 2 road wins in 07 without losing between them, but we did have a home win between. so, not back to back

If Iowa could just win the six games Jon mentions, that would already put them 1 game below .500 in conference. Get more wins than 6, Iowa is looking at .500 or better. Never would have thought that after Campbell.

They won't win all 6..I'd be happy 4-2..plus they get MN at home

Latest posts