Miller: Have We Been Too Hard on Greg Davis?

The answer is NO.
Fact- Kirk and GD know more about coaching football than everyone on this message board combined.
Fact- Kirk conducts himself with about as much class as anyone could expect
Fact- fans watch games, compile statistics and draw conclusions
Fact- over a decent sample size of history, UI offense has struggled to achieve average results
Fact- UI did need to outscore a good FCS(UNI) to win game 1 - and it happened, barely
Fact- UNI, Ball St, ISU are not the Seahawk defense

Personally, one of my biggest disappointments is that there is really no hope that anything will be any better any time soon.
You forgot one fact.

Fact- The Iowa offense is one of the easiest to prepare for in the country. This isn't some message board idiot who doesn't know a fraction of what KF knows saying this. This is multiple well respected coaches and scouts that say Iowa is simple to game plan for. Everyone knows what's coming.

What's amazing is our average Big Ten rank in rushing is 8.1. Are you kidding me? This is an Iowa team that probably ranks toward the top in producing NFL OL. Our blocking scheme needs to change.

Yes, GD absolutely is not a good fit for Kirk ball. That being said, I think Kirk needs to turn over the reigns completely to GD for the remainder of the year.

The mixture of styles just isn't working. Also, we have personnel that may thrive in the dink and dunk. We have a pretty good group of WRs and JR can't really throw consistently over 10 yards anyway.

We have the 9th ranked QB in the B10. About the same rank Rudock ended last season as.

3 games in, and we don't have an 100 yard rusher yet.(!)

Bench JR for CJB and order GD to dust off KOK's old gameplan of playaction, stretch the field passing. JR can't throw deep. You all know that is the only answer to revive this O and save this season.

Man, new to this site...Gopher fan...thought I'd check out the pulse of the Hawkeye fan base after losing to LOWLY ISU. The Gopher fan base remains optimistic after losing to TCU. You guys are already calling for a Ferentz and Davis mutiny? Come one, man. As an outsider looking in, Ferentz has always played conservatively and usually seems to barely win the games he is suppose to and nearly wins the ones he's not. Ferentz is the Hawkeye BRAND. He and Fry made your formula successful. He'll pull it out as usual and will probably loosen up and let Greg Davis do more. I think your problem is that Rudock over thinks the position and Ferentz and Davis let him.

Who Hates Iowa? We Hate Iowa!

Gopher fans would probably love to see KF stick around.. He gave them half their wins in 2010/11 after all.

Greg Davis is in his third year at Iowa.. The offenses have been horrible. In the 100's yet again this year (against an FCS opponent, Ball State, and what was an 0-2 ISU team no less) so I think it's justified at this point for people to start being critical. O'Keefe wasn't great but certainly looks pretty good in comparison right about now.

Screw all the rest of the numbers, look at just the scoring ranking.

Take away the first two years of the KOK coached O when KF was digging the program out of the hole that Hayden left and you find that the Iowa O was in the top half of the country in scoring 9 out of the 11 years KOK was the OC.

The last two years and through 3 games this year we are 111th, 76th and 111th.

Blame KF for making a horrible hire in Davis but he isn't the one calling plays or having guys run two yard outs every play.

But to me those numbers prove that Davis was a horrible hire and KOK for all his faults at least at a scheme that put points on the board.

Why are people still naive enough to believe that ****?

Q. How involved are you in the game plan?
COACH FERENTZ: I spend more time in our offensive room. That's kind of where I hang out. They'll let me. So I'm totally in tune. Not like something is going on I'm not aware of.

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66370&page=2

We have the 9th ranked QB in the B10. About the same rank Rudock ended last season as.

3 games in, and we don't have an 100 yard rusher yet.(!)

Bench JR for CJB and order GD to dust off KOK's old gameplan of playaction, stretch the field passing. JR can't throw deep. You all know that is the only answer to revive this O and save this season.

We don't need the KOK game plan, there are deep routes being run JR just doesn't have the composure to let them come open, the guts to take any chances in one on one coverage, the timing to make it work or the arm strength to throw a little late.

QB is the first thing that needs fixed with this O. Bethards arm will make opponents back their safeties off and his ability to run the option will help the ground game.

GDGD is awful. He was awful at Texas (except when he had Vince Young, etc.), they told us he'd be awful, and he's awful. Not sure why everyone's surprised. It's like sleeping with a $10 hooker and then being surprised when the doctor tells you that you have VD. I'm not surprised at all. About the GD thing not the VD thing.

Man, new to this site...Gopher fan...thought I'd check out the pulse of the Hawkeye fan base after losing to LOWLY ISU. The Gopher fan base remains optimistic after losing to TCU. You guys are already calling for a Ferentz and Davis mutiny? Come one, man. As an outsider looking in, Ferentz has always played conservatively and usually seems to barely win the games he is suppose to and nearly wins the ones he's not. Ferentz is the Hawkeye BRAND. He and Fry made your formula successful. He'll pull it out as usual and will probably loosen up and let Greg Davis do more. I think your problem is that Rudock over thinks the position and Ferentz and Davis let him.

Go AWAY....a BIG 12 team blasted you as well.

We don't need the KOK game plan, there are deep routes being run JR just doesn't have the composure to let them come open, the guts to take any chances in one on one coverage, the timing to make it work or the arm strength to throw a little late.

QB is the first thing that needs fixed with this O. Bethards arm will make opponents back their safeties off and his ability to run the option will help the ground game.
Exactly. KOK's plays were OK, but the game plan was like playing Russian Roulette.

KF/GD don't seem to have the ability to adapt to what is going on the playing field on game day.

Look at our lack of production on the ground. Just because DB practiced well during the week shouldn't mean JC isn't the guy on Saturday. Seriously they have to have known that he was averaging 6 ypc after the first Qtr. Why didn't he get an additional 15 carries? Or carries until he stopped being productive? Where was LD? We didn't even get to see what he brought Saturday. Go ahead an use practice to determine who starts, but use the rotation and in game performance to determine who stays on the field.

Anybody remember McNutt? How about DJK? Or Moeaki? Seen anything like that under GD? Didn't think so. We're not being too hard on Davis.

There are no saving throws for this offense. No justification. There is nothing they can say that makes it better. They haven't done there jobs and the evidence is out there for all to see.

We welcome fans of other teams to come to our site for conversation and give and take. You'll have to forgive anyonebutyou for his unpleasant remarks to you. He's a cyfan troll who thinks he's fooling people over here. He took offense to your comment lowly ISU. That's actually a compliment to them. They are arguably the worst team in the history of college football. They have one goal every year and that is to beat Iowa in their superbowl. If they beat Iowa and lose their other 11 games they are thrilled with a successful season. When all you have is misery in your life you just have to pity the fool. Eventually he'll end up in a sanitarium. Good luck to you this season except for our game of course.

We welcome fans of other teams to come to our site for conversation and give and take. You'll have to forgive anyonebutyou for his unpleasant remarks to you. He's a cyfan troll who thinks he's fooling people over here. He took offense to your comment lowly ISU. That's actually a compliment to them. They are arguably the worst team in the history of college football. They have one goal every year and that is to beat Iowa in their superbowl. If they beat Iowa and lose their other 11 games they are thrilled with a successful season. When all you have is misery in your life you just have to pity the fool. Eventually he'll end up in a sanitarium. Good luck to you this season except for our game of course.

Iowa State's 2nd biggest, heck maybe even biggest, bowl win ever was against the Mighty Gophers of Minnesota. ISU hates Minnesota because the Gophers literally murdered one of ISU's players during a football game. I mean, we can all claim that Nebraska is classless, PSU harbors pedos, etc., but Minnesota literally killed a guy. I think we should petition to have them removed from the Conference. I really don't welcome Minnesota fans because their values are not consistent with the Conference.

Iowa State's 2nd biggest, heck maybe even biggest, bowl win ever was against the Mighty Gophers of Minnesota. ISU hates Minnesota because the Gophers literally murdered one of ISU's players during a football game. I mean, we can all claim that Nebraska is classless, PSU harbors pedos, etc., but Minnesota literally killed a guy. I think we should petition to have them removed from the Conference. I really don't welcome Minnesota fans because their values are not consistent with the Conference.

To make matters worse it was a racially motivated hate crime. Gimpy the Gopher is the KKK of college football.

the chart says it all. Iowa's KF early offenses were decent to above avg especially paired with Norm's defenses.

The offensive mindset and funk seemed to start in 2007 even with an established KOK.

The bad recruiting years, losing some skill people took its toll, as did some off field crap.

Lets wait to see what CJ and the offense do today. And going forward if the hawks can start scoring in the 30's which they will need to do then it is probably KF's philosophy rather than GD.

No we have not. Davis is just awful. I coach flag football for 1st and 2nd graders and were run the same plays Iowa has run on their 1st two possessions. This O is so lame!!!

Latest posts