Miller: Gary Dolphin deserves better

tweeterhawk

Excellent column, Jon, and I agree. I lay this directly at Gary Barta's feet, even though you suggest someone else (cough, Fran, cough) played a key role after being upset that Marge got heckled by some Wisconsin fans after tickets given to GD wound up in their hands.

Gary Barta has a 1980s mentality (and that is being kind) in a 2019 big-time college athletics environment. He is neither smart enough nor sharp enough to lead Iowa Athletics any further. Too much mismanagement of personnel and crisis communication. A change must be made.

Miller: Gary Dolphin Deserves Better

Yes Jon thank you.

I ask you to do more. What can we do as a group? I believe we could lose Dolph for good over this. Giant petition? Organized revolt?? Or ???

I just sent a message via Leafield website letting them know where I stand on this. I am done with them until they correct this.

I encourage everyone else likeminded to do the same.

It's rather obvious to someone that thinks critically and objectively that Fran has held onto this stupid grudge (a grudge over a third party supposedly "heckling" Margaret) and he'll never let it go.

Does Fran really believe that Dolph knew Margaret was "allegedly" going to get heckled? Here's the thing, it's obvious that Fran, Connor, and Pat have entitled attitudes and (Fran & Connor) can overreact in a dramatic fashion. This isn't a secret, so is it really that hard to believe that Margaret might have overreacted to a comment by the ticket holder?

If y'all can just put aside your naivety for a bit, you'll realize that this whole thing is simply Barta following Fran's demands. If this eventually becomes public, it'll be quite ironic considering Fran's nickname is White Magic.

One other thing: if Dolph does indeed file a lawsuit (I don't think this will happen), I doubt there'll be any records he can FOIA; Gary doesn't keep documentation. :confused:

1. Dolph should have known better.
2. The suspension isn't about the comment, unless they gave him distinct directives to not do that or something similar.
3. The comment should not have been made.
4. The athletic department continues to distance itself from everyday fans.
5. If Fran's fingerprints are on this, how is he a "nice man"?

I think Dolph needs to speak out. The PC apology does nothing to help prevent this from happening again. His apology should be sarcastic saying "sorry my mind isnt racist enough to connect those dots spur if the moment".

It was such an unnecessary distraction from what has been a fun season to follow. There was no need to do this to Dolphin, and could easily have been handled at the end of the year if that was the desire of someone (or some people).

I don't know if Barta is a scoundrel, but he has a certain invertrebral quality to him.

1. Dolph should have known better.
2. The suspension isn't about the comment, unless they gave him distinct directives to not do that or something similar.
3. The comment should not have been made.
4. The athletic department continues to distance itself from everyday fans.
5. If Fran's fingerprints are on this, how is he a "nice man"?

snowflake culture runs deep in you

It's rather obvious to someone that thinks critically and objectively that Fran has held onto this stupid grudge (a grudge over a third party supposedly "heckling" Margaret) and he'll never let it go.

Does Fran really believe that Dolph knew Margaret was "allegedly" going to get heckled? Here's the thing, it's obvious that Fran, Connor, and Pat have entitled attitudes and (Fran & Connor) can overreact in a dramatic fashion. This isn't a secret, so is it really that hard to believe that Margaret might have overreacted to a comment by the ticket holder?

If y'all can just put aside your naivety for a bit, you'll realize that this whole thing is simply Barta following Fran's demands. If this eventually becomes public, it'll be quite ironic considering Fran's nickname is White Magic.

One other thing: if Dolph does indeed file a lawsuit (I don't think this will happen), I doubt there'll be any records he can FOIA; Gary doesn't keep documentation. :confused:
Gary is a submissive, Fran is a left wing leaning coachomatrix. He projects rage, forgets nothing, merely waits for the opportune time to dole out revenge for any slight, real or imagined. That it is cloaked in the mantra of "racism" (which is of course untouchable on campuses of tax payer supported universities) Dolph is a corpse. Gary has been obedient, Fran rages on.

Go Hawkeyes

You’ll never see me sticking up for Dolph as an announcer but one thing Jon nailed is his comment about the athletic department being bad with crisis management and public relations. Never has a truer statement been spoken.

Gary is a submissive, Fran is a left wing leaning coachomatrix. He projects rage, forgets nothing, merely waits for the opportune time to dole out revenge for any slight, real or imagined. That it is cloaked in the mantra of "racism" (which is of course untouchable on campuses of tax payer supported universities) Dolph is a corpse. Gary has been obedient, Fran rages on.

Go Hawkeyes
In 1933 King Kong was never called an Ape or a gorilla. When the humans encountered him they had no clue what in the actual F they were dealing with. He is only characterized as a beast like creature. A missing link to the ancient world that has more human and bigfoot qualities than primate qualities. Silver back gorillas can only walk up right for a few steps . In 1933 and 1976 Kong can walk upright like a man. Some moron really hates Dolph

“What honorable people don’t do is trash a man’s character over this, unless you are a scoundrel. I don’t think Gary Barta is a scoundrel.“

That’s exactly what they did. I’m sorry, but my opinion of Barta is not longer that he’s incompetent. I think he’s a bad person and a coward.
I don’t think Barta is a bad person. But he is most definitely a coward and completely incompetent.

And yet.....he still has a job.

I have voted 99 percent Republican my entire life including 2017. Why are you so threatened? Intelligent discussions can't be made with name calling. Are you uneducated?

Name calling is required in today’s tribe like culture.

The best part about the snowflake comment is that “snowflake” has 2 very different meanings.

Someone my age & a millennial think of it very differently. I would suggest anyone using it keep it to Internet forums. It’s a deeply insulting word in some circles.

1. Barta is pretty incompetent as an administrator, that we know. However, he can raise money.
2. Dolph doesn't bring in money that any other announcer couldn't bring in, therefore he's expendable.
3. Dolph's comment re Dailey was true, but never should had been said during the game -- live mic or not.
Jon is wrong in that respect, Dolph's comments were not 'metaphorical', they singled out a specific individual.
4. Dolph should never allowed his tickets to get in the hands of a heckling Wisconsin fan. That alone would be worth a 1-game suspension in my book.
5. I'm sure Dolph bleeds black and gold and is probably a nice guy, but Jon's attempt to paint him as a saint because he travels around and does what every paid announcer is expected to do is a bit much. Please. That's his job, and frankly, there are many people who can probably do it just as well.
6. There's no need for Jon to throw out the conspiratorial language of mysterious "factions". Fran wanted him gone, Dolph messed up, and he's gone.

It's life. Move on. Dolph certainly will.

Latest posts