Miller: Fear the Golden Eagles?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Ever since Kirk Ferentz rolled out the 'fact' that Tennessee Tech returns 21 of 22 position starters, I have been a little spooked about Tennessee Tech.

Not spooked as in I think they are as good as 2009 UNI, because they are not; that Panther offensive line was the fourth or fifth best that Iowa played all season...and the Hawks nearly got caught with their pants down and needed a miracle finish to win the game, blocking back to back field goal attempts in the final seconds. Of course, that is the obvious harbinger for an Orange Bowl victory, right?

Tennessee Tech is an FCS team who was one game under .500 in the Ohio Valley Conference last year.

That's not something that should scare anyone on their face, and perhaps I have just had my head down in off season analysis for so long I am finally suffering the mental paralysis.

But 21 of 22 starters is a 'good start' to a recipe for some trouble...add in the fact that this program likes to refer to itself as the 'fastest 60 minutes of football', that they won their regular season finale against Jacksonville State who was ranked 6th in the FCS at the time and who had beaten Ole Miss 49-48 in the season opener...that should make you sit up a little more straight.

When you have that many returning faces, players who are familiar with the teammate to their left and to their right, it automatically allows you to play at a better pace...then factor in that this program wants to play at insane speed and will be going up against a rebuilding Iowa defense who had troubles getting off the field in its final five games last year against teams that like to push the temp and ran spread offenses (well, at least four of the five), I guess that has my radar on notice.

I linked this story back in the summer and will bring it up again, because there are a lot of quotes from Tennessee Tech's coach that gives you an idea as to what Iowa will be facing on Saturday, at least schematically.

The Golden Eagles want to be like Oregon, as far as offensive philosophy goes. On defense, you can expect them to attack the quarterback and leave their defensive backs in a lot of man to man situations. It will be interesting to see how that thinking pays off..if the Iowa offensive line is as good as I think they are, it could mean a big passing day for James Vandenberg.

Tennessee Tech, like every Iowa opponent, knows it has to attack Iowa's running game if it wants a realistic shot at winning the game. committing six to seven players to rush the passer on each down is playing with fire...but given James Vandenberg is a first year starter for Iowa, and the fact that Tennessee Tech is a 40.5 point off-shore underdog, what do they have to lose? They'll play loose and look to land a few haymakers early and see how Iowa reacts.

The Hawks should be able to turn that aggressive style against their opponent and torch them through the air...but every now and then Buster Douglas knocks Mike Tyson on his hind end...every now and then, a haymaker gets through.

I don't think Iowa will lose this game, but I do think things could be interesting in the first half...I'll toss out my HawkeyeNationTV video prediction tomorrow evening.

Perhaps my nerves have everything to do with not having watched a college football game in eight months and less to do with what Tennessee Tech may be capable of doing. Or perhaps they have something to do with the fact that Iowa is replacing three NFL defensive linemen and has so many unknowns at that position heading into a game against a team that should know exactly what it wants to do and will do it at a fevered pitch.

The unknowns of this 2011 Iowa football season make me both skittish and as eager as ever to take a look under the hood.

Although on paper I can certainly see where some of your concerns are coming from, I really can't see this game being a problem.

We're breaking in an alarmingly high number of new starters...that's scary, but on the other side of that coin I think you're going to see the adrenaline really pumping out there. It's my feeling Iowa can probably win this one by a long shot fueled by pure enthusiasm alone.

This is going to be a beat down. Nerves? Come on man. This is woodshed Saturday and that is exactly what this is going to be.

people also have nerves about the following saturday - what the hell is up with that!!?? what's happening to to hawk fan?? maybe the following clip can shed some light........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_0cHeZcQ0]1800 Tequila - MEN - YouTube[/ame]

LOL...I just think I need to see some football, and see what this defense is going to look like. It's been a while since Iowa had this many unknowns along the front...gotta go back to 2005.

we'll see how good iowa's OL is, but not by the pass game, but by the run. don't care how fast they run their offense - can't run it on the bench.

I fully expect TTU to have the fastest three and outs I've ever seen on Saturday. Iowa could win the time of possession battle by 30 minutes. Iowa is ready and focused for this game and aren't taking it lightly. I expect Iowa to throw the ball more than against a typical FCS opponent and to win by more than the point spread.

LOL...I just think I need to see some football, and see what this defense is going to look like. It's been a while since Iowa had this many unknowns along the front...gotta go back to 2005.

I think Iowa's questions are different than in '05. We knew who all the starters would be back then, but we didn't know how good they would be. Now, we don't know who two of them will be, but we know that two of them will be solid-great level players. I think the front four will be a very quality unit by the time Big Ten play rolls around.

I hope you guys are right. But the last couple of days I've started to feel exactly like John. Up till the last week i was thinking this team is going to be really good, cause I think the team is loaded with talent. But all the sudden I realized all the talent is unproven and untested.

Combine unproven talent, with a veteran team that has nothing to lose... It makes me nervous. I would expect TT to blizt the crap out of Vandenberg, and pull out every trick play know to man. A mistake or two and this young team could find themselves down a touchdown or two.... Then how will a young hawk team react?

Hope you all are right, and the hawks put up 40...

One thing I forgot to mention is that this will be good prep for ISU, which will be good prep for Pitt...and La Monroe...all of Iowa's first four opponents want to run jet tempo offense and are spreads.

Jon, we have two guys who have seen a ton of action and proven to be very good players at a high level anchoring this DL. I fail to see why you are so apprehensive about the DL, as long as Binns and Daniels are good to go.

Chatter around town is that everyone is worried about the Eagles. If Persa can't go, it could be a long game.

One thing I forgot to mention is that this will be good prep for ISU, which will be good prep for Pitt...and La Monroe...all of Iowa's first four opponents want to run jet tempo offense and are spreads.

Thats it right there. We need a fast paced team to kick the year off.

Hey Jon

One thing to remember is that Tenn Tech's QB who beat Jacksonville State has graduated. Tre Lamb got injured earlier in the season ... so they had to play a very athletic and veteran backup QB.

Given Tre Lamb's lack of height ... my guess is that he won't kill us too bad through the air. Furthermore, given that Norm knows how to slow/stop pretty much any variety of running game ... I think that Tenn Tech's O will be rather limited.

Furthermore, if Tenn Tech decides to attack Iowa's O .... Iowa's TEs will rip 'em a new one! It's as simple as that. Herman and CJ Fed are going to break onto the scene in game one.

Another thing that you have to remember is that leading into the UNI game, Iowa had a bunch of projected starters out. Our OL had very little personnel continuity ... and they were starting in a configuration that they hadn't worked in all that much.

And, perhaps, more importantly ... UNI was really, really motivated. Their coach really tried to feed into their players sense of feeling slighted by the Hawks .... reminding them of how the Hawks passed on them in the recruiting game. That's a HUGE motivator for a lot of guys.

Lastly, as you rightly pointed out, UNI had one of the better OLs that we faced that entire season ... it pretty much had veteran SRs across the board.

Homer I dont think anybody is really that worried. I think it is just more of a, lets see how our D operates and functions against a "fast" team. No way they can out score us, our O will grind them up, with out even breaking a sweat. But it should be a game the D can fine tune things on.

i wouldn't be surprised to see a very close halftime score like 14-7. but if they play too fast and go 3 and out a lot, their D will be sooo worn out by the end that we'll pull away comfortably.

I get nervous from time to time as well, but then I think about how massive the talent gap will be. TTU currently has 1 player in the NFL, and the last player to be drafted before that was in 1983 in the 12th round. If we are making comparisons to UNI, I think I heard Farley say earlier this week that they currently have 9 active players in the league.

Latest posts