Miller: Fear the Golden Eagles?

One thing I forgot to mention is that this will be good prep for ISU, which will be good prep for Pitt...and La Monroe...all of Iowa's first four opponents want to run jet tempo offense and are spreads.

TTU, ISU, Pitt, La....The only worry is will 4 easy wins not prepare us for the conference....

Jon, the reason you are nervous (and you should be) is that Iowa has proven over and over that they can lose to ANYBODY. On the flip side, they have also proven they can beat anybody.

Jon, we have two guys who have seen a ton of action and proven to be very good players at a high level anchoring this DL. I fail to see why you are so apprehensive about the DL, as long as Binns and Daniels are good to go.

I agree, there is a reason why we haven't seen much of the guys that will be on the DL this year, it isn't because they weren't very good and were 2nd or 3rd teamers it is because the last 2 years they were playing behind guys that will be on opening day rosters for NFL teams. Like KF said, sometimes very good players are stuck behind other very good players and that is the case here.

Sure there will be a drop off, but no where near like it was in 05 when you had 2 freshman and 2 sophomores starting that had never started a game before. This DL at least has 2 guys that were regular starters in the last couple of years so they aren't just being thrown in the deep end and being told to sink or swim like the guys in 05.

This Iowa roster has a bunch of future NFL players on it. TTU is full of kids who likely had a combined zero bcs offers coming out of HS.

TTU will run around like a flea circus in the first quarter/half and scare some fans, but the Big Boyz on teh Hawkeye squad will wear them down & out. We will not, however, cover.
Iowa 38, TTU 13.

This Iowa roster has a bunch of future NFL players on it. TTU is full of kids who likely had a combined zero bcs offers coming out of HS.

I went to TTU's website a week or two ago to see their stats/schedule from last year, and they had a massive link in the middle of the page for info on open tryouts. I'm sure their starters are sporting scholarships, but I think that the prominence of that ad seeking roster-fillers from the student body speaks to the general depth and talent level on their roster.

Back when we used to beat Northwestern, Randy Walker's teams ran not only one of the original spead offenses, but also didn't huddle much and moved the pace. Three years in a row, we beat them 27-17, 59-16, and 62-10. Those teams very likely had more talent than TTU (no REAL way to say), but Norm figured out their scheme and pace.

Northwestern has obviously upgraded their defensive talent since 2002, and it's blasphemous to predict any Hawkeye offense will be as good as the 2002 unit, so I'll jump back and say I think Saturday will play out a lot like the 2001 NW game, or maybe the 2002 Akron game. Yes, TTU will probably move the sticks a little and maybe put up a few points, but NW beats us because after their 5-6 minute drives (even when they don't score), we have our fair share of three and outs. I don't think TTU will have any semblance of the defensive success necessary to play that game.

Iowa 52, Tenn Tech 13. A lot of big offensive plays from the (mostly) veteran O-line getting Coker rolling to second level untouched, complemented by some PA passing with 1-on-1 coverage puts us up BIGGGGGG early (I'm talking like 45-10 at half). Kirk shuts it down in the second half.

I looked this up last night; Iowa has won by 40 or more nine times in the Ferentz era.

Also, someone brought up how facing four spread teams will not prepare Iowa well enough for the Big Ten...keep in mind that Iowa's defense also faces the Iowa pro style offense in practice more times per year than any other style of offense...it was one of the suspected downfalls of the Rich Rod Michigan defense

I'll take Iowa to put up 21-0 first quarter and not give up an offensive TD until we begin mixing in a few 3 deeps. Iowa's 1st team D will outscore TT's 60 minutes of mayhem offense.

We re replacing some great quality on Defense but we have some great experience replacing some of them.

One of the Vegas dudes on KXNO was ticking off TT's history agin BCS teams...

...suffice it to say their defense was not well represented.

I think we see a typical slow start to the game, some real conservative play calling to start with the first couple series. Coker will have nice runs to keep the chains moving, TT will move the ball between the 20's on us the first few series and we give up a few FG's, otherwise they dont score a TD until the end of the game when we have the reserves in. 41-13

I need you guys to reel me back in sometimes...I feel better now..I just need some football.

I need to see the O Line blowing people off the ball and the defensive backfield looking like it belongs in the Big Ten or you're gonna have to reel me in come Saturday night.

is this really a Headline "Fear the Golden Eagle".. hahahahaha.. Jon you definitely need some football. I'm ready. If I'm to fear the Eagle then this is going to be a veryyyy looooonng season.

Latest posts