Miller: Expansion is Here; Is Iowa Ready?

I completely agree, fellow western Iowan. We will soon be the ISU of the B10.

This is one of the DUMBEST comments I've read on our board, or the clown board for that matter. The staff at Iowa is ready for the challenge, facilities are in place or are being built, and the fan base is ready to lay down and die for this school.

Iowa is not even close to being ISU. If you want to act like a Clown go be a clown, we don't need your negativity around here!

This is pretty much the whole reason I am hoping that Nebraska is the only team added. I think one new team does not affect Iowa as drastically as the scenario laid out by Jon of getting ND, Neb, and Tex.
I may be dreaming big and hoping it's only Neb. But I highly doubt it.

I agree with Dborwig on this one, and to a lesser extent something that Jon has said on his radio show. Iowa has never been in better shape roster-wise for something like this to happen. Jon's aspect to this is as long as Ferentz is Iowa's coach I don't see that changing. Iowa isn't going to change its football approach because of the new additions, it won't recruit differently but the staff may have better opportunities. Right now what would you say is our weakest positional group on the football roster and our biggest recruiting need? Do we need an impact recruit for the 2011 season? I don't feel that way because we are a developmental program. I don't see that changing now or in the near future. Whoever we add isn't going to impact the operation in Fort Kinnick.

Four super conferences IMO will (finally!!) bring the advent of a true playoff. As long as we're talking a complete paradigm change in college FB, might as well go the full monte.

Four super conferences IMO will (finally!!) bring the advent of a true playoff. As long as we're talking a complete paradigm change in college FB, might as well go the full monte.

I think this is "phase 2" to the whole expansion plot. These super conferences will make it easier to implement a playoff system.

I think this is "phase 2" to the whole expansion plot. These super conferences will make it easier to implement a playoff system.

My very simplistic plan would go like this:

Four major conferences (ACC, Big-10, SEC, Pac-10)(Big East goes away)

Eight teams play for four conf championships
This is your first "round" of playoffs....your elite 8.

Winners are seeded and go into a four-team playoff. Higher seed gets a home game.

Championship game can be moved around to the various big bowl sites (Rose, Orange, etc).

Yes, this leaves out the MWC and Conf USA. I don't have a good idea how to rectify this.

You can still keep all of the other bowls you want to with teams which don't make the 'elite 8." Or what the heck, if your team doesn't make the final four, you can play in a bowl game. Everybody's happy and everbody wins.

Last edited:
There's one in every bunch.
Not sure how potentially being in a division with Nebraska, Texas, and others helps us out. Also Nebraska and Texas have huge fan following, probably better then ours...so when push comes to shove they get selected over us. Things I like but things that really scare me...didn't know I was the only one!:eek:

It will be somewhat scary,entering this brave new world. We have been in a comfort zone the last decade,to some degree. Now, suddenly we will be shaken out of our comfort zone. KF likes the comfort zone. When the program went outside the zone,bringing in some shaky recruits, it hurt us. Now, KF feels we are back on track. But, I suspect he is not chomping at the bit to swerve out of that zone again competing against Texas and ND....NEB? ok..one more rival can be handled,but if both ND and Texas came in...ouch. Personally, I could live with ND and Rutgers.

If they went with a western division of Iowa,Neb,ND,Minny,Wis,NW,Ill...I think we can live with that...with Neb,ND,and Wis as main rivals for the title..it will not be all that different than our current battles with Wis,PSU and OSU for the title. but if you add Texas...not good for our viability.

I'm still on board with the Nebraska and potential ND adds. Texas excites me less looking from an Iowa standpoint. I've mentioned over and over that they could be a really good grab for the league as a whole- but they could also be extreme trouble and they just seem like an odd fit standing alone minus the dollars they bring.

Not sure how potentially being in a division with Nebraska, Texas, and others helps us out. Also Nebraska and Texas have huge fan following, probably better then ours...so when push comes to shove they get selected over us. Things I like but things that really scare me...didn't know I was the only one!:eek:

I think I laid why being in a division with Iowa might not be beneficial for Nebraska. Over the last 10 years, Iowa has had the better program, and there is no reason to think that Iowa isn't going to remain strong going forward.

Nebraska isn't NEBRASKA anymore.

The flip side- kirk isn't coaching forever, and Iowa may not be Iowa for that much longer... who really knows.

I agree with you Shadas, and I don't buy into much of my own argument- but just trying to play the other side of the coin.

The Big 12 is (was) often as strong or stronger than the Big 10, so I doubt that is a real concern. They have their turkeys, but so do we.

I believe, and have firmly believed for a while that expasion is bad for Iowa. Iowa is "office hot", which means in the Big 10, our office, we are one of the hottest in the office.

Iowa is not "night club hot". The sexier the competition, the worse it is for us.

The difference is that the Huskers played in the NORTH division, where all the turkeys reside. Nebraska got 4-5 cake conference games a year, plus Baylor some of the time. The top of the Big 12 has been very good for a long time. But it's hardly a rough road for Nebraska most years. In the Big Ten, they could drop OSU and Michigan off their schedule for a few years, and still would have to play Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin. In the Big 12, if they dropped off Texas and OU, their schedule gets REALLY easy.

Latest posts