Miller: Big Ten Divisional Alignment Prediction

Non-permanent divions is the answer. the B10 could just set some rules for realligning divisions every 4 or 8 years. The way the B12 does it now it takes four years to complete a schedule rotation and play every team from the other division twice. maybe every 8 years they are realligned based on conf record over the past 12 years. To set future schedules they'd have to do the realligning before the end of the current rotation. For example they could set initial 8-year divisions based on overall record the last 12 years, then in 4 years reassess based on the last 12 years at that point and set the new divisions to begin four years from then in year 8, etc.

Also, way above some said they could balance my pod idea by creating balance by pairing the top pod with the bottom pod in a divsion and pair the midded two pods. That can't work - it would just sustain the top pod as "the top pod" forever.

ND is the key. If they come on board, you have ND and Neb in the west,and that balances out PSU and OSU. Michigan is no sure bet anymore. PSU may not be a sure bet when JoePa retires. Iowa,Wis and NW have won more than Michigan and PSU in this decade.
Rivalrys and stability are important in college football,the most tradition laden sport.
Geographic proximaty makes for rivalrys. Iowa is the anchor state in the west, and their border rivals are Neb,Ill,NW,Wis and Minny...and OSU is the anchor state of the east with border rivals with Mich,MSU,IU,Purdue,and PSU...this is not brain surgery folks...you want divisions that have border rivals...period.

ND is the key. If they come on board, you have ND and Neb in the west,and that balances out PSU and OSU. Michigan is no sure bet anymore. PSU may not be a sure bet when JoePa retires. Iowa,Wis and NW have won more than Michigan and PSU in this decade.
Rivalrys and stability are important in college football,the most tradition laden sport.
Geographic proximaty makes for rivalrys. Iowa is the anchor state in the west, and their border rivals are Neb,Ill,NW,Wis and Minny...and OSU is the anchor state of the east with border rivals with Mich,MSU,IU,Purdue,and PSU...this is not brain surgery folks...you want divisions that have border rivals...period.

Yes, but you also don't want the top 3 teams in the league in the same division. I agree if ND joins that would balance out the divisions and you could keep PSU in the east. But I don't think ND will join.

Yes, but you also don't want the top 3 teams in the league in the same division. I agree if ND joins that would balance out the divisions and you could keep PSU in the east. But I don't think ND will join.

Ummm.... why do you think the top three teams would be in the East Division? This isn't a troll... just curious? It's unlikely that the Huskers will be a bottom dweller in the B10 or in national rankings. Therefore (without ND), the West Division (based geographically) would have at least two strong contenders (UNL and Iowa). The East Division would have at least two strong contenders (tOSU and PSU); at this juncture, it is difficult to predict if and when UM will become a strong contender again so they shouldn't figure into the equation.

I know we don't have a dog in this hunt yet, but it looks to me like a geographical division would lead to unequally weighted divisions. JMHO :cool:

FYI... I really don't think Husker fans will care how it is divided. We are way beyond excited to start playing in the B10.

Ummm.... why do you think the top three teams would be in the East Division? This isn't a troll... just curious? It's unlikely that the Huskers will be a bottom dweller in the B10 or in national rankings. Therefore (without ND), the West Division (based geographically) would have at least two strong contenders (UNL and Iowa). The East Division would have at least two strong contenders (tOSU and PSU); at this juncture, it is difficult to predict if and when UM will become a strong contender again so they shouldn't figure into the equation.

I know we don't have a dog in this hunt yet, but it looks to me like a geographical division would lead to unequally weighted divisions. JMHO :cool:

FYI... I really don't think Husker fans will care how it is divided. We are way beyond excited to start playing in the B10.

Because geographically, that would make sense. However, Delany mentioned competetive balance as a criteria for picking who goes where, and we've all seen how well geographic balance has worked out for the Big 12.

Because geographically, that would make sense. However, Delany mentioned competetive balance as a criteria for picking who goes where, and we've all seen how well geographic balance has worked out for the Big 12.
:confused:

1. How does it make geographical sense to have PSU part of a "West" division?

2. How are the divisions competitively balanced if tOSU is playing in a division that has no (current) contenders while PSU is playing in the same division as Iowa and Nebraska?

3. B12 was never divided by geographical "balance". It was just divided by geography.

When I made the comment of top 3 teams in the league, I was talking about historic (current) Big Ten members. Not counting Nebraska, as they are obviously going to be in the West, and they don't have any Big Ten experience yet.

Those of you saying Penn St will be in the East didn't read Jon's post on Delaney's comments. Jon is basing his opinion on what Delaney said. Geography was a distant 3rd in deciding divisional alignment with competetive balance being #1.

That's fairly presumptuous, bud. I read the post carefully. I simply disagree with the conclusions that you, Jon and others are drawing from Delaney's comments. I don't mean to blow your mind or anything, but it's possible for different people to read the same thing and come away with different opinions.

Of course, Delaney's comments were very general. I would expect nothing else at this stage of the game. He didn't say "we can't have OSU, UM, and PSU in the same division." He didn't say anything about any specific teams in the conference. So we're all in a position of speculating. Which means it's fair game to ask: does this mean that OSU/UM/PSU will be split up? And should this mean that OSU/UM/PSU will be split up?

My take: it could happen, but it shouldn't.

From a historical standpoint OSU, Michigan, and PSU are the top 3 schools in the Big Ten, no way all 3 are in one division given Delaney's comments.

If you look at PSU's history in the Big Ten, it's not nearly as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be Since the Lions joined in 1993, OSU and UM have won far more shared and outright championships than anyone else. (Which we all would have guessed off the top of our heads.) But how many people would have guessed that PSU has the exact same number of shared (2) and outright (1) titles as Wisconsin and North-freaking-western? How many people would have guessed that PSU is #4 in conference wins in the last decade -- 4 games behind Iowa and 1 game ahead of Wisconsin?

The only history that elevates Penn State above the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin, is their history before joining the Big Ten, when they played basically a pre-Big East schedule every year. Apples to oranges. In the 1970s Penn State was awesome, Iowa sucked, and Wisconsin was bad. Then Fry changed the Hawkeyes forever, and Alvarez changed the Badgers forever. In the 2010s, both these programs are poised to compete at the same level as Penn State, and maybe even Michigan depending on how much damage RichRod has caused.

Jon's divisions would have been brilliant in the 1970s. Pretty much every year the PSU/UNL winner would face the UM/OSU winner for a Big Ten championship game that the whole nation would have circled on their calendars. In 2010, his divisions would put four BCS contenders (UNL, UI, UW, PSU) on one side against only one BCS contender (OSU) on the other.

People will be quick to argue that you can't judge competitive balance simply by how good teams are this year. But is it any more logical to judge it by how good teams were in the 1970s?

When I made the comment of top 3 teams in the league, I was talking about historic (current) Big Ten members. Not counting Nebraska, as they are obviously going to be in the West, and they don't have any Big Ten experience yet.

Thanks for the clarification. From a national historical perspective, the B10 will have (in 2011) five or six powerful football programs (OSU, UM, PSU, Iowa, UNL; maybe Wisconsin?). However, as another poster so aptly pointed out, strength is cyclical. So, how do you divide a conference to minimize the loss of rivalries and balance it with current school strength? I don't think it can be done because strength of an athletic program ebbs and flows. It seems that it would be easier to do geographically; some years it will benefit one division while other times it will benefit the other division. JMHO

Thanks for the clarification. From a national historical perspective, the B10 will have (in 2011) five or six powerful football programs (OSU, UM, PSU, Iowa, UNL; maybe Wisconsin?). However, as another poster so aptly pointed out, strength is cyclical. So, how do you divide a conference to minimize the loss of rivalries and balance it with current school strength? I don't think it can be done because strength of an athletic program ebbs and flows. It seems that it would be easier to do geographically; some years it will benefit one division while other times it will benefit the other division. JMHO

I actually agree with you in regards to the ebbs and flows of athletic programs, in fact a point that I had made in previous discussions on this topic. However, Delaney strongly indicated in his comments that competitive balance will be a top priority. Perhaps the Big Ten will be forward thinking enough to allow for alterations in the divisions in the future based on on field performance? I think that would be worth exploring. But based on the current structure, there is no doubt that OSU, Michigan, and PSU have the best football programs in the Big Ten (again not counting Nebraska in this discussion). That is why I do not believe you will see those 3 in the same division.

I actually agree with you in regards to the ebbs and flows of athletic programs, in fact a point that I had made in previous discussions on this topic. However, Delaney strongly indicated in his comments that competitive balance will be a top priority. Perhaps the Big Ten will be forward thinking enough to allow for alterations in the divisions in the future based on on field performance? I think that would be worth exploring. But based on the current structure, there is no doubt that OSU, Michigan, and PSU have the best football programs in the Big Ten (again not counting Nebraska in this discussion). That is why I do not believe you will see those 3 in the same division.

Michigan???? You must mean from an historical perspective....

That's fairly presumptuous, bud. I read the post carefully. I simply disagree with the conclusions that you, Jon and others are drawing from Delaney's comments. I don't mean to blow your mind or anything, but it's possible for different people to read the same thing and come away with different opinions.

Of course, Delaney's comments were very general. I would expect nothing else at this stage of the game. He didn't say "we can't have OSU, UM, and PSU in the same division." He didn't say anything about any specific teams in the conference. So we're all in a position of speculating. Which means it's fair game to ask: does this mean that OSU/UM/PSU will be split up? And should this mean that OSU/UM/PSU will be split up?

My take: it could happen, but it shouldn't.

If you look at PSU's history in the Big Ten, it's not nearly as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be Since the Lions joined in 1993, OSU and UM have won far more shared and outright championships than anyone else. (Which we all would have guessed off the top of our heads.) But how many people would have guessed that PSU has the exact same number of shared (2) and outright (1) titles as Wisconsin and North-freaking-western? How many people would have guessed that PSU is #4 in conference wins in the last decade -- 4 games behind Iowa and 1 game ahead of Wisconsin?

The only history that elevates Penn State above the likes of Iowa and Wisconsin, is their history before joining the Big Ten, when they played basically a pre-Big East schedule every year. Apples to oranges. In the 1970s Penn State was awesome, Iowa sucked, and Wisconsin was bad. Then Fry changed the Hawkeyes forever, and Alvarez changed the Badgers forever. In the 2010s, both these programs are poised to compete at the same level as Penn State, and maybe even Michigan depending on how much damage RichRod has caused.

Jon's divisions would have been brilliant in the 1970s. Pretty much every year the PSU/UNL winner would face the UM/OSU winner for a Big Ten championship game that the whole nation would have circled on their calendars. In 2010, his divisions would put four BCS contenders (UNL, UI, UW, PSU) on one side against only one BCS contender (OSU) on the other.

People will be quick to argue that you can't judge competitive balance simply by how good teams are this year. But is it any more logical to judge it by how good teams were in the 1970s?

I understand most of your argument, but a couple of areas I don't agree with, one in particular. Where are you coming up with this 1970s argument? It seems to be arbitrarily thrown out there. Penn St was quite relevant in the 1980s and 90s. In fact Penn St was remarkably consistent for 30 years. Below are their records for the 70s, 80s, and 90s along with NCAA rank in win % for that decade.

70s 96-22 5th
80s 89-28-2 7th
90s 97-26 6th

So again, I don't understand the 1970s argument you are making. It doesn't hold water.

And if you want to only look at recent history, lets check the facts again. In the past 5 years Penn St is 51-13 7th best in the NCAA. They had a tough 5 year span from about 2000-2004, but outside of that they have been one of the top 10 teams in the nation for 40 years. So, no unfortunately Iowa and Wisconsin are not on the same level as Penn St. Can we compete with them? Absolutely, we have proven that on the field. But the fact is they are a national name with a national recruiting base. The perception will be that Penn St has a stronger program than Iowa and Wisconsin, and when you present the facts, its impossible to argue. So, again IMO no way the top 3 teams in the Big Ten are put in the same division. Otherwise you'll have the competitive imbalance that plagued the Big 12 for most of its existance. Which is exactly what Delaney was referring to in his comments.

Michigan???? You must mean from an historical perspective....

Michigan has had 2 bad years. Lets not write them out of the history books yet. In 2006 they were 11-0 and ranked #2 in the nation. In '07 season they beat the previous years National Champ in Florida in the Cap One Bowl.

Michigan has had 2 bad years. Lets not write them out of the history books yet. In 2006 they were 11-0 and ranked #2 in the nation. In '07 season they beat the previous years National Champ in Florida in the Cap One Bowl.

Michigan
2000 9-3 beat Auburn in Citrus Bowl
2001 8-4 lost to Tennesse in Citrus Bowl
2002 10-3 lost to Florida in Outback Bowl
2003 11-2 lost to USC in Rose Bowl
2004 9-3 lost to Texas in Rose Bowl
2005 7-5 lost to Nebraska in Alamo Bowl
2006 11-2 lost to USC in Rose Bowl
2007 9-4 beat Florida in Capital One Bowl
2008 3-9 No Bowl
2009 5-7 No Bowl

Three out of the last five years they've stunk it up, but Nebraska is no different. I guess the direction of the Wolverines program will be determined in the next few years. I hope they do better than they have in the last couple of years.

Iowa has finished in the top 8 in the AP 4 of the last 8 years. PSU? Once?
Iowa has beaten PSU 7 of last 8 and 9 of last 11 meetings?
How good has PSU been without JoePa at the helm?
Well, JoePa is not gonna be there when Nebraska joins the fold.
I think PSU is a huge question mark after JoePa leaves.
The mark of a strong program is surviving the departure of their anchor coach like OSU did with Woody( but it took awhile) Michigan did with Bo(but not with Carr so far) and Iowa did with Hayden( took a couple of years)...so expect PSU to wander in the wilderness for a couple of years when JoePa leaves.

Programs change. Michigan has. PSU will. Wisconsin has..for the better.
If Delaney does not go with the geographical obvious split I will be shocked,because Iowa,Wis,NW and Ill have all won the league in the last decade...just like OSU,Mich,and Purdue have...he will have to overlook the weakness in the East besides OSU.

Let' take a closer look at the MAJOR advantages and disadvantages of geographical divisional alignments. This is one of the Delany 3 fold criteria for creating divisions. The other two being competitive fairness and maintenance of rivalries.

Advantages - Natural border war and in-state rivalries (either current or future), Shorter and less costly travel for teams and fans.

Disadvantages – Possible unequal competitive fairness (think Big12), Possible termination of traditional rivalries.

Rivalries: Most all current rivalries are border wars or in-state. Exception being Minnesota-Michigan, which is not an annual game now. Future rivalry games will develop as border wars; Neb-Iowa, OSU-PSU. Opinion: Rivalry games can best be protected via geographical divisions.

Competitive Fairness: Very subjective in nature. Do you consider short-term (1-10 years), Medium-term (10-20 years) or Long-term.? Part of the problem with the Big12 example is these geographical divisions also represented major areas of very unequal recruiting advantages. Texas schools + Oklahoma had huge advantages. Creating divisions with recruiting inequity will result in future competitive inequity. Recruits want to play close to home, either at their in-state schools or within the same division as in-state schools. Opinion: East division will have more appeal to East Coast recruits. West division will have more appeal to Mid-America recruits.

Due to the layout of the Big10, North-South divisions make no sense. East-West divisions maintain almost all rivalries and foster creating more intense border war rivalries. However, East-West Divisions are not equal in terms of recruiting. OSU, PSU and UM have done well long-term, in-part because of state populations. This will not change regardless of what division they call home. However, combining them enhances their regional recruiting while effectively hurting teams outside of their division. If I were Indiana or Purdue, I would love to be part of the East Division. Granted, Nebraska has done well long-term in Mid-America but IMHO, due to factors that counter act recruiting weakness of region.

My references to the 1970s are a shorthand for the bygone era on which much of the arguments about historical power and perception rest upon. I guess it could have seemed that I was arguing that people were explicitly using the 70s as their benchmark. I should have been more clear. What I want to highlight is that when we talk about history, a lot of history (in the sense of changing circumstances causing events to unfold in different ways) has happened in the last 30 years of college football. Decades of traditional excellence certainly play a role in determining which teams are strong today. But other factors have become more and more important in recent years, otherwise it would make no sense that Boise State has a realistic shot at a bc$ championship this year, but Notre Dame and Michigan do not.

Once upon a time, Michigan and Ohio State were unchallenged in the Big Ten, much like Nebraska and Oklahoma in the Big 8 and Penn State in the east. But a lot of things happened to dramatically shift that landscape in the last 30 or so years.

1. Woody left and Hayden arrived. OSU became mortal in the 1980s at the same time that Iowa became a contender, based on a very different brand of football from what Woody and Bo used to dominate the 1970s. Iowa's emergence opened the door for Illinois and Michigan State to have success in the 1980s. Pandora's box was opened. By the 1990s, Wisconsin, Purdue and Northwestern were getting into the act.

2. Related to #1, and probably more important in the long run, was the reduction of scholarships to current limits -- a process completed by 1994. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State still have recruiting advantages, but they can no longer maximize this advantage by stockpiling 120 players on scholarship. If the old system was still around, Stanzi and DJK would probably be Buckeyes today.

3. Expansion of bowl games. Some of Iowa's greatest teams never went to bowl games, because there were so few in decades past. But now any Big Ten team that goes 7-5 is guaranteed a bowl game, and most 6-6 teams go bowling, too. Ohio State fans, naturally, tend to look down their noses at anything less than a BCS bowl. But even the Motor City Bowl is enough to motivate teams like Indiana to make unprecedented investments in football, load up with OOC cupcakes, pray for a couple of Big Ten upsets, and go for it.

4. Big TV bucks and Big Ten revenue sharing. We've been talking about these things for the past few months, so no need to elaborate here. But this is the final piece in the puzzle in which every Big Ten team has (a) the opportunity to give as many schollies as the big boys, (b) a bowl game waiting as a reward for even a mildly successful season, (c) the examples of Fry, Alvarez, etc. for how to turn around previously moribund programs, and (d) the financial resources to go for it.

All this is to say that when I look at which teams are poised to seriously compete for championships in the 2010s, I see Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and wild card Northwestern in the west, and I see Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and wild card Michigan State in the east. Is that 50-50 equal? Not as long as Ohio State is Ohio State, but it's pretty close, and the exact balance of power will naturally shift from year to year -- often in unpredictable ways.

Iowa and Wisconsin make the list because of what Fry/Ferentz and Alvarez/Bielema have established in recent history. Could they fall into mediocrity? Sure, but Nebraska and Michigan both prove that even the great historical powers are potentially only one bad coach away from falling themselves.

So all in all, I favor geographical divisions. Not geography for geography's sake, but because geographical divisions do the most to satisfy Delaney's other condition: protecting rivalries. The only "rivalries" that get "lost" are Minn/Mich and Ill/OSU, neither of which is protected under the current 11-team setup, and neither of which matter nearly as much to either UM or OSU as maintaining an annual rivalry with ... you guessed it ... Penn State.

My references to the 1970s are a shorthand for the bygone era on which much of the arguments about historical power and perception rest upon. I guess it could have seemed that I was arguing that people were explicitly using the 70s as their benchmark. I should have been more clear. What I want to highlight is that when we talk about history, a lot of history (in the sense of changing circumstances causing events to unfold in different ways) has happened in the last 30 years of college football. Decades of traditional excellence certainly play a role in determining which teams are strong today. But other factors have become more and more important in recent years, otherwise it would make no sense that Boise State has a realistic shot at a bc$ championship this year, but Notre Dame and Michigan do not.

Once upon a time, Michigan and Ohio State were unchallenged in the Big Ten, much like Nebraska and Oklahoma in the Big 8 and Penn State in the east. But a lot of things happened to dramatically shift that landscape in the last 30 or so years.

1. Woody left and Hayden arrived. OSU became mortal in the 1980s at the same time that Iowa became a contender, based on a very different brand of football from what Woody and Bo used to dominate the 1970s. Iowa's emergence opened the door for Illinois and Michigan State to have success in the 1980s. Pandora's box was opened. By the 1990s, Wisconsin, Purdue and Northwestern were getting into the act.

2. Related to #1, and probably more important in the long run, was the reduction of scholarships to current limits -- a process completed by 1994. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State still have recruiting advantages, but they can no longer maximize this advantage by stockpiling 120 players on scholarship. If the old system was still around, Stanzi and DJK would probably be Buckeyes today.

3. Expansion of bowl games. Some of Iowa's greatest teams never went to bowl games, because there were so few in decades past. But now any Big Ten team that goes 7-5 is guaranteed a bowl game, and most 6-6 teams go bowling, too. Ohio State fans, naturally, tend to look down their noses at anything less than a BCS bowl. But even the Motor City Bowl is enough to motivate teams like Indiana to make unprecedented investments in football, load up with OOC cupcakes, pray for a couple of Big Ten upsets, and go for it.

4. Big TV bucks and Big Ten revenue sharing. We've been talking about these things for the past few months, so no need to elaborate here. But this is the final piece in the puzzle in which every Big Ten team has (a) the opportunity to give as many schollies as the big boys, (b) a bowl game waiting as a reward for even a mildly successful season, (c) the examples of Fry, Alvarez, etc. for how to turn around previously moribund programs, and (d) the financial resources to go for it.

All this is to say that when I look at which teams are poised to seriously compete for championships in the 2010s, I see Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and wild card Northwestern in the west, and I see Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and wild card Michigan State in the east. Is that 50-50 equal? Not as long as Ohio State is Ohio State, but it's pretty close, and the exact balance of power will naturally shift from year to year -- often in unpredictable ways.

Iowa and Wisconsin make the list because of what Fry/Ferentz and Alvarez/Bielema have established in recent history. Could they fall into mediocrity? Sure, but Nebraska and Michigan both prove that even the great historical powers are potentially only one bad coach away from falling themselves.

So all in all, I favor geographical divisions. Not geography for geography's sake, but because geographical divisions do the most to satisfy Delaney's other condition: protecting rivalries. The only "rivalries" that get "lost" are Minn/Mich and Ill/OSU, neither of which is protected under the current 11-team setup, and neither of which matter nearly as much to either UM or OSU as maintaining an annual rivalry with ... you guessed it ... Penn State.

I favor geographical divisions as well. I just don't think we'll see it. I hope I'm wrong. I'd much rather have:

Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

Michigan
MSU
OSU
PSU
Indiana
Purdue

It makes perfect sense from a geographic and rivalry standpoint. The only argument will be that the East very top heavy, while the West will have better depth, will it be enough to compensate the top of the East?

One other thing--The Big XII South had 4 teams in the same state. One big boy, and the little brothers. The Big 10 doesn't have that. I don't think recruiting will be impacted because of an East/West split.
The Big Ten has revenue sharing, The Big XII did not. One side of the Big XII ended up with all the money and power, which will not happen in the Big 10.
The East/West setup WILL work, and the Big 10 will thrive with that setup. There's enough (current) balance on both sides to make it work.

:confused:

1. How does it make geographical sense to have PSU part of a "West" division?

2. How are the divisions competitively balanced if tOSU is playing in a division that has no (current) contenders while PSU is playing in the same division as Iowa and Nebraska?

3. B12 was never divided by geographical "balance". It was just divided by geography.

Looks like reading comprehension is not a strong suit among 'sker fans.

Latest posts