Miller: B1G/P12 Schedule Relationship Implications

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Big Ten and Pac 12 have entered into a 'scheduling agreement' that will extend across all sports, including football.

Here are some of the primary nuggets:

-Big Ten will put move to nine game conference slate on hold
-Big Ten vs Pac 12 in football will happen starting 2017, with all 12 teams in each league playing one another in an out of conference game each year
-Basketball series for both men and women could take place as soon as next year

In the item linked above, Big Ten commish Jim Delany looks as this as a benefit of conference expansion without having to actually expand.

This is a pretty big collaboration with some potential for enormous ramifications.

These are my opinions and I could prove to be all wrong, but here it goes...

PLAYOFF HOPES DASHED? For those wanting some form of college football playoff, Jim Delany and the Big Ten occupy a space on their dart boards. The Big Ten is the primary force AGAINST a playoff. The Pac 12 might not be as much against a playoff as the Big Ten has been but they have not been an advocate. These two leagues have had ties for decades and the Rose Bowl is something of incredible importance to each league. I think there are some folks in each league who look at the Rose Bowl as a bigger deal than the national title game.

With these two leagues entering into multi-sport scheduling arrangements, namely the forthcoming Big Ten-Pac 12 out of conference scheduling that begins in 2017, it brings them even closer together philosophically and creates a more unified 'voting bloc' if you will. Roughly one-third of 'BCS Conference' teams will reside in these two leagues. The sway and influence is enormous, so the future of college football and any sort of post season change will have to be something these leagues go along with, or it won't happen.

TELEVISION GIANTS: The Pac 12 kicks off its new network in 2012. The Big Ten Network has been rolling strong now for several years. These are the only two leagues that have their own TV networks. Now that they are entering a formal scheduling agreement and each league has its own network?? Whew, that's a very strong position. The folks at ESPN can't be liking this one bit, as Fox owns 49% of the BTN and they currently have the TV rights both league's football title games. Can a BTN/P12N owned bowl game be too far away? Will those leagues look to move the Rose Bowl in house? This USA Today item had this snippet of interest: "Together, the Big Ten and Pac-12 encompass 15 states holding 43% of the nation's population and 22 of its top 50 television markets." That is powerful stuff right there.

NEUTRAL SITES? Also in that USA Today article was the notion that there could be an annual 'kickoff game' between teams from both leagues, perhaps played at the Rose Bowl, as well as other matchups played at 'neutral' sites in NFL stadiums. I think those are good ideas, especially if you play the games in the opening weekend of the college season because the NFL is not in play at that time and the venues would be available to use.

There are a number of offshoot conversations that will stem from this partnership, including one very local; will this impact the future of the Iowa-Iowa State game?

It sounds as though the Big Ten will scrap their nine-game conference schedule plans, which I am happy about. I didn't like the unbalanced aspects of a nine-game slate, where you would play four home games and five road games one year then flip it the next.

Not having that 9th conference game makes the Iowa-Iowa State game more tenable from Iowa's point of view. That being said, if some of the B1G-P12 games are played at neutral settings, you could still get into the problem of only having six home games in a season which has to be a non-starter. Will Iowa State want to continue to the series given their nine-game round robin slate in the Big 12? Will the Big 12 even exist in 2017? More questions than answers, to be sure.

You also have to figure this announcement plays into recent comments from Gary Barta related to no longer playing home and home basketball games with UNI and Drake on an annual basis, as it sounds like Iowa and its Big Ten brethren will begin scheduling games against Pac 12 teams as early as next year.

It seemed like earlier in the year the Pac 12 wanted super-conferences. JD may have convinced Larry Scott that this is a better way to go, and I would agree. Of course the super-conference idea will not die as long as the LHN is struggling. Texas could see what the Big 10 and Pac 12 have created and decide they can make more money by jumping ship. Same goes for ND.

One thing that really excites me about this is the Olympic sports. Baseball is a big deal in the Pac 12, and the Big 10 is just now starting to emphasize this sport again.

Don't kid yourself...this will greatly increase the conferences overall RPI when it comes to selection time.

Question: By the time Jim Delaney's reign as B10 commish is all said and done, will any single individual have had a greater impact on NCAA athletics in the last 50 years than Jim Delaney?

FWIW:
2012 Rivals FBall 250: 34% from B1G/Pac12 Footprint
2012 Rivals BBall 150: 33% from B1G/Pac12 Footprint

The Big Ten is the primary force AGAINST a playoff.

But Wetzel is a hack :)rolleyes:) for saying that the Big Ten doesn't care about National Championships, when it's readily apparent that a playoff is about the only way the Big Ten is going to win any moving forward.

Granted, Big Ten/Pac-12 football matchups will certainly help the Big Ten if they can win more of them than they lose, but it's still 5 years away.

That is powerful stuff right there.

But not nearly powerful enough right now. I just don't see it happening unless these two networks are carried nationwide on the basic of cable packages ala ESPN. And that probably won't be the case in 5 years.

as well as other matchups played at 'neutral' sites in NFL stadiums

These matchups won't be akin to Iowa "at" Northern Illinois at Soldier Field, which, as you point out, would make one wonder how they would be beneficial to either side.

But not nearly powerful enough right now. I just don't see it happening unless these two networks are carried nationwide on the basic of cable packages ala ESPN. And that probably won't be the case in 5 years.

This is a massive FU to ESPN and telling them they better bring their "A" game in the next TV deal for Big Ten Football.

As for your second point. I would guess the Big Ten and Pac 12 will package their networks just like ESPN does with ESPNnews, ESPNU, etc.

Giving both a much bigger footprint than they would have in their areas, which means higer ad $$ for both.

This is a game changer if you ask me for $$$ for all schools.

If Ohio St, USC, & Oregon can stay out of trouble, this could be a pretty big move for the conferences because that will give the two conferences 4 major national powers (I'm including Michigan)

However, if those teams get into more trouble this could be a very bad move. The B10 & PAC 12 have basically seperated themselves from the rest of the major conferences, similiar to the Bowl Coailition (sp?) prior to the BCS when all the major conferences agreed to have a NC game but the B10 & PAC 10 stayed away and loyal to the Rose Bowl.

Is this their first move in stepping away from the BCS? It didn't work out before when they realized that not being part of the Bowl Coalition was a bad move.

Like it or not the SEC is the dominant conference right now. I'm not sure its a good idea, nationally, to seperate themselves from a league that is viewed as the best.

If Ohio St, USC, & Oregon can stay out of trouble, this could be a pretty big move for the conferences because that will give the two conferences 4 major national powers (I'm including Michigan)

However, if those teams get into more trouble this could be a very bad move. The B10 & PAC 12 have basically seperated themselves from the rest of the major conferences, similiar to the Bowl Coailition (sp?) prior to the BCS when all the major conferences agreed to have a NC game but the B10 & PAC 10 stayed away and loyal to the Rose Bowl.

Is this their first move in stepping away from the BCS? It didn't work out before when they realized that not being part of the Bowl Coalition was a bad move.

Like it or not the SEC is the dominant conference right now. I'm not sure its a good idea, nationally, to seperate themselves from a league that is viewed as the best.

I get your point, but not sure I'd include Oregon as a major national power. Sure they've had a good 3 yr run under Kelly, but they have no NCs, only 9 bowl victories, 4 concensus All-Americans and their stadium only seats 54,000. Iowa has a much better resume.

Oh, and you'd have to include Neb and PSU (pre-scandal) before the Ducks, but I get your point.

I get your point, but not sure I'd include Oregon as a major national power. Sure they've had a good 3 yr run under Kelly, but they have no NCs, only 9 bowl victories, 4 concensus All-Americans and their stadium only seats 54,000. Iowa has a much better resume.

Oh, and you'd have to include Neb and PSU (pre-scandal) before the Ducks, but I get your point.

I hear ya, I included Oregon basically for two reasons:

1. Their financial resources have put their facilities at the top. None are better.

2. Their offensive system is very attractive for players to be a part of. They even convinced the top player from LA to dump USC and go north even though they already had two great players at RB.

I didn't include Nebraska because IMO they're a brand name only. Haven't been significant on the national scale in a decade.

I wonder if Mich St, Purdue and Michigan will dump Notre Dame off of their schedules. Maybe the Irish can add the coast guard to their schedule.

anyone think of the voting influence this conference carries now with "24 delegates(teams)" to be your backer if say 1 or 2 teams are in the running for a NC opportunity? think of the other delegates this move carries now "influencing" even Heisman voters.

in my eyes, it is becoming even more political with this move.

JDMiller's point about bowls and media power is also a big deal. a historical reference would be aleigences aligning to undermine a hegemon (WWII & Germany / Russia, Prussia, Austria, Great Britian VS Napolenic France). the Hegemon here is the SEC and their 'joseph Goebbles' is ESPN.

What it also does, is make it much harder for one conference to expand without the other.

Prediction: Eventually, this partnership becomes even more intertwined.

Four divisions, four champions... there is your playoff, with the championship at the Rose Bowl every year.

Can't wait to play an Arizona school out west again...IA always gets up for that.

We couldn't get 'up' for Pitt this year until most of the way through the game, nor for UNI a couple of years ago when we needed a miracle to win.

Methinks the problem is more about getting the players 'up' in general, rather than the time zone.

Delany's Power Play ...

This is not about anything as trivial as schedule strength or one game's ticket revenue. This is Jim Delany (and Larry Scott) taking the first step toward a new world order for college sports. Remember what happened when Delany said the Big10 would think about adding a school? The whole of Division I went crazy, and it has yet to settle down. That pales in comparison to what this could do. This is the first concrete step by a major player toward the forecasted super-conference model. This is the first nail in the coffin of the NCAA as the major college sports governing body. This is an ultimatum to Notre Dame. I understand the concern here than this will nix the Iowa/ISU game, but that's just a tiny ripple compared to some of the other waves this move will create.

If it is a power move against the disgusting SEC/ESPN bias, is the next move to add the ACC in the fold? B10 ACC challenge is already in place in basketball, why not add another strong non conf opponent for football? That would really stir things up

Latest posts