Miller and Deace buried the Iowa program,

ferentz4life

Ferentz, and Barta on the latest podcast. Whenever they do this, Iowa usually follows it with a nice win. So, jNW is in trouble tomorrow. :)

I wouldn't say buried. There are aspects and issues that are certainly troubling, but there and few, if any, that can’t be righted.

But the data that Morehouse and Dochterman brought up the other day about how many weeks it had been since Iowa was ranked in the AP Poll, and how that is approaching the longest drought since the end of the Fry era to the middle of the 2002 season.so this is the second longest drought since the 1970’s. I mean, the data sort of speaks for itself when you bring it all to light, does it not? Iowa is 17-18 in Big Ten play since the start of 2010. Since losing to Wisconsin at home in 2010, Iowa is 12-12 in Kinnick against FBS opponents. All of this with one of the Top 12 most profitable athletic departments in FBS and a football program that is among the most profitable in the land. The results have been lacking.

Ferentz, and Barta on the latest podcast. Whenever they do this, Iowa usually follows it with a nice win. So, jNW is in trouble tomorrow. :)

Looking at the numbers I think its safe to say that it is Barta and Ferentz who are burying Iowa.

I wouldn't say buried. There are aspects and issues that are certainly troubling, but there and few, if any, that can’t be righted.

But the data that Morehouse and Dochterman brought up the other day about how many weeks it had been since Iowa was ranked in the AP Poll, and how that is approaching the longest drought since the end of the Fry era to the middle of the 2002 season.so this is the second longest drought since the 1970’s. I mean, the data sort of speaks for itself when you bring it all to light, does it not? Iowa is 17-18 in Big Ten play since the start of 2010. Since losing to Wisconsin at home in 2010, Iowa is 12-12 in Kinnick against FBS opponents. All of this with one of the Top 12 most profitable athletic departments in FBS and a football program that is among the most profitable in the land. The results have been lacking.
I have been guilty of thinking Iowa is in that second tier football programs for too long now. Obviously I know that outside of a good 3 year run, the Hawks were nowhere near elite status, but I still thought of them as at least a better than average program. 2012 was like a thump over the head to make me realized things were going down hill, but I thought KF had another run in him. With everything happening and you take a look at all of the data, you have to say that Iowa has been at best a very mediocre football program in recent history with a couple of outliers; 2012 which was just a horrible season, and 2009 which was a terrific season. It's a hard reality to face given all of the success Iowa has had in my lifetime. But facts are facts. Iowa needs a change.

Good summary Jon. While we all dream of Iowa contending for NC or now the playoffs, we don't even come close to contending in our own division (I'll state this year could be different if we win).

I really thought when the Big10 changed formats that it fit perfectly for KF. He doesn't really focus on OOC and instead preps for conference play. I could live with some losses in OOC if we actually took care of business against our division.

Instead we are underachieving in all aspects.

Even our wins feel like losses because we squeak by. I just don't see how this gets turned around with KF

I realize the numbers are stacking up and it's difficult to stomach some of these facts; but wouldn't it be better to wait until th end of the season before fanning the flames/jumping ship/burying the program? We are still in the hunt, control our own destiny, and are heading down an extremely important stretch. Piling on the program is not what is needed right now. Regardless of what you may think of KirFer and co, this team deserves support. If you think players and coaches don't hear the noise; you are just either naive or lying to yourself.

There's one thing Deace said that I agree with.....Let KF fire himself with his results on the field. There's no need to make a hasty jump. All you have to do is look at Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida, etc to see the results of hasty decisions. While we are certainly floundering somewhat, we're still certainly fairing better than the programs I just mentioned.

I have been guilty of thinking Iowa is in that second tier football programs for too long now. Obviously I know that outside of a good 3 year run, the Hawks were nowhere near elite status, but I still thought of them as at least a better than average program. 2012 was like a thump over the head to make me realized things were going down hill, but I thought KF had another run in him. With everything happening and you take a look at all of the data, you have to say that Iowa has been at best a very mediocre football program in recent history with a couple of outliers; 2012 which was just a horrible season, and 2009 which was a terrific season. It's a hard reality to face given all of the success Iowa has had in my lifetime. But facts are facts. Iowa needs a change.

I lumped Iowa in those 2nd tier Big Ten programs with Wisconsin and Michigan St. As Jon and several others have pointed out when everything fell into place(schedule, returning starters, etc.) they were able to take advantage of that for a nice 3 or 4 year run, Iowa really hasn't. 02-04 was a nice run, but it still doesn't quite match up with the run Wisky/MSU have recently put together.

Really, the stat about the longest drought out of the top 25 since the Fry era is a telling number. There is no explanation for that. It is showing the growing irrelevance of Iowa football to the national landscape in the starkest terms.

There's one thing Deace said that I agree with.....Let KF fire himself with his results on the field. There's no need to make a hasty jump. All you have to do is look at Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida, etc to see the results of hasty decisions. While we are certainly floundering somewhat, we're still certainly fairing better than the programs I just mentioned.

ehhh, That is still risky.....Those other schools can keep trying until they get it right.....Iowa can't. KF could dig us in such a deep hole that the Iowa/ISU game will become our Super Bowl. It is a slippery slope no matter which way you go.

ehhh, That is still risky.....Those other schools can keep trying until they get it right.....Iowa can't. KF could dig us in such a deep hole that the Iowa/ISU game will become our Super Bowl. It is a slippery slope no matter which way you go.

Right.

You can't talk about Iowa generating the 12th most revenue in the sport and then in the next breath talk about how Iowa can't afford to make a coaching hire mistake.

As long as the revenue is there (and thus the coaching salary remains high) Iowa will be an attractive option to coaches.

I'm not necessarily saying don't do something out of "fear". That often times is worse. But, for example, if Iowa goes out and loses it's remaining 5 games, well, I'd say KF has fired himself.

In the end, what I'm saying is, I don't want Barta to make a decision based on what he thinks MIGHT happen. There's nothing wrong with waiting until it does.

I realize the numbers are stacking up and it's difficult to stomach some of these facts; but wouldn't it be better to wait until th end of the season before fanning the flames/jumping ship/burying the program? We are still in the hunt, control our own destiny, and are heading down an extremely important stretch. Piling on the program is not what is needed right now. Regardless of what you may think of KirFer and co, this team deserves support. If you think players and coaches don't hear the noise; you are just either naive or lying to yourself.

There is no jumping ship. No one called for Kirk's job and I made it clear I was not doing that. And also said every game is winnable. We didn’t plan on things going where they did, they just did. I am guessing you are reacting without having listened.

Right.

You can't talk about Iowa generating the 12th most revenue in the sport and then in the next breath talk about how Iowa can't afford to make a coaching hire mistake.

As long as the revenue is there (and thus the coaching salary remains high) Iowa will be an attractive option to coaches.

Which coaches? You mean, the next "Football Jesus" that was Will Muschamp? Or the next "Offensive Football Savant" that was supposed to be Lane Kiffin? Or, on the flipside, Pete Carroll was darn near all but washed up in the NFL and gets lucky with the USC job, and absolutely kills it.

The problem is....it's a crap shoot more than half the time. Some programs get it wrong and then don't ever get it right again.

I honestly think we're a BB or BS away from being big 10 dominant like OSU and MSU. I remember a time when MSU was a "win" on the schedule at the beginning of the season. Look what a proven coach can do to a program.

bottom line, and a lot of you won't like this, but to contend in today's game, you have to, at minimum, toe the line between right and wrong. KF is so far away he can't even see the line. As long as you don't cross that line, I don't give a rats arse if other teams hate our coach, or other coaches for that matter, definitely not fans. I want wins for my team.

"our Super Bowl"....that is a great and funny comment . Well done.

Which coaches? You mean, the next "Football Jesus" that was Will Muschamp? Or the next "Offensive Football Savant" that was supposed to be Lane Kiffin? Or, on the flipside, Pete Carroll was darn near all but washed up in the NFL and gets lucky with the USC job, and absolutely kills it.

The problem is....it's a crap shoot more than half the time. Some programs get it wrong and then don't ever get it right again.

which programs would that be?

Tennessee would be the obvious one but it's a bit early to say they'll never get right again.

There is no jumping ship. No one called for Kirk's job and I made it clear I was not doing that. And also said every game is winnable. We didn’t plan on things going where they did, they just did. I am guessing you are reacting without having listened.

Full disclosure Jon, my Prole jerb forces me to listen to podcasts in segments. I'm just getting into your new one.

My comment wasn't totally directed at you, but more so a general comment to the many people who seem to be in that boat (or should I say jumping from it). Trust me, I listen to you and Deace regularly. I agree at times and disagree at times. Same for Scott's and Mark's, as well as the Hawkeye report and BHGP's podcasts (I seriously listen to them all-lol'n!).

My point is... It's just a little early for these conversations. Let the season play out (again mostly directed at the fringe, but loudly vocal fan base). End rant.

It seems like every year the knee-jerk reactions after each game or maybe even each piece of news are greater and greater and louder and louder. Not just about Iowa football but across the country and regarding the NFL as well. Whether it is on the radio, message boards or on ESPN. After every game the hyperbole's fly like crazy.

Latest posts