Mike Gesell's play

ibahawkeye

I suppose when you have a week like the Hawks did there's a lot of credit to hand out to individuals but Mike deserves his credit as well.

In these last 2 games he's played 33 minutes in both games and only had 1 turnover per contest. He shot 60% from the field, 50% from 3 (1-2) and 76% from the line.

If he continues to take care of the ball and limit turnovers, we'll be in good shape. Other keys for the team are holding our own on the boards and keep getting bench production out of Uhl and Baer. Would be nice if Ellingson could contribute as well, he's been quiet as of late.

He is on pace for more than 200 assists for the season...I could be wrong but I think he would be the first hawk to do it, if he can keep it up. And to think there are people who think he isn't very good.

I think most Hawk fans are used to seeing successful scoring PGs be scoring PGs. Tom Davis certainly had his share. Alfraud had Oliver and Horner. Even Cartwright was a scorer with Fran. But Gesell is definitely a pass-first guy who looks to penetrate. He does what he has to to win. And he's finally getting consistent enough at that to be appreciated.

I just don't understand how some fans can question Mikes play. I feel like he has really stepped up his play in all area's. One thing I really like is his willingness to be aggressive and go to the basket, Mike is quicker then most people think and can create his own shot. Great job Hawks the last 2 games lets keep it going!! GO HAWKS!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Gesell takes way too much heat on this board, as does Woody.

They both have been pivotal in the Hawks resurgence. If you don't think so, you don't know basketball.

They both have been pivotal in the Hawks resurgence. If you don't think so, you don't know basketball.

Good post. PGs are like QBs. They get too much blame when things go bad (like ISU). Mike G was really making good decisions against PU and is at his best when going to the hoop.

As many have said, why people rip Gesell is mind boggling. I don't want to jump ahead, but those who are critical of him will realize how valuable he is when next season starts.

He is on pace for more than 200 assists for the season...I could be wrong but I think he would be the first hawk to do it, if he can keep it up. And to think there are people who think he isn't very good.

Yeah, I never got that either. They must be watching somebody completely different than we are!

I think the quickest way to judge the value of a player is when he isn't in the game. How comfortable does it feel when gessell is in the game? When he is out everything stops being smooth. There is no flow. No rhythm. I think who the heck is going to get the offense going. He is as sure of a ball handler against pressure or press as I've seen at iowa. You know so he doesn't always finish at the rim....well he has the courage to drive....but without a bonafide true center...offensive minded center...who is he to dish to when help comes? He has a good shot and would be shooting a lot more if Jok and uthoff weren't so good. Next time you question how good gessell is...just think how you feel when he isnt in the game.

I think the quickest way to judge the value of a player is when he isn't in the game. How comfortable does it feel when gessell is in the game? When he is out everything stops being smooth. There is no flow. No rhythm. I think who the heck is going to get the offense going. He is as sure of a ball handler against pressure or press as I've seen at iowa. You know so he doesn't always finish at the rim....well he has the courage to drive....but without a bonafide true center...offensive minded center...who is he to dish to when help comes? He has a good shot and would be shooting a lot more if Jok and uthoff weren't so good. Next time you question how good gessell is...just think how you feel when he isnt in the game.

Well said, I really do like Clemmons on defense but he does make me a little nervous when running the point. I do think his(Clemmons) decision making seems to have really improved this season. When Gesell is running the point the offense definitely to runs smoother.

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Last edited:

Knowledge of the game is not a prerequisite for the forums....clearly. Many do seem to focus on tearing players down, I just never understood why. These are the most vocal posters and those who are ironically the most sensitive by far.

OK, returning to happy thoughts. Congrats Mike on some really great play so far!

Is MG as athletic as Trimble? Is he as good of a shooter as Paige? Of course not. Do I wish he was a better shooter and scorer? You bet I do and do I really wish he was a better and more clutch of a free throw shooter? Well duh. But none of those things make him a bum. He knows who he is and plays hard and has had us in the dance the last couple years and more then likely at this point again this year. Name me the last pg we've had that's quarterbacked us to 3 strait tournys?

I don't care about stats, Iowa needs for him to be clutch when it is time to be clutch. need for him to be consistent and to make smart basketball plays like you would expect from a 4 year starter.

I had the opportunity to see him and Woody when they played each other in High School. South Sioux City vs Sioux City East and when I saw Mike dunk over Woody I was like "this is a special player". So glad he chose the Hawks!

Mike Gesell is a lot better than he isn't. People like to focus (me, sometimes) on the isn't.

I really wish statsheet was still available for a go to site for advanced stats. They had a lot of really good offensive and defensive stats that always showed very favorably for Mike.

As an alternative, looking at sports-reference, Mike has had a top 3 assist percentage in the Big Ten the last 2 years and is 3rd yet again so far this season. His assist percentage numbers and apg number have gone up each year in an Iowa jersey. Also, in case some haven't noticed he is shooting very well from deep this season. He's 9-19 ie 47% so far.

I always stick up for Mike. You can't underestimate the value of a steady point guard. Take a loook at Purdue if you don't believe me.
Woody is a different story for me. Yes, he does things well, setting screens, defensively sometimes. But he's just not what we thought we were getting. A dominate 7 foot center. He is a role player and valuable to the team. But he just never developed into the stud we hoped he would, therefore he takes a lot of heat.

I really wish statsheet was still available for a go to site for advanced stats. They had a lot of really good offensive and defensive stats that always showed very favorably for Mike.

As an alternative, looking at sports-reference, Mike has had a top 3 assist percentage in the Big Ten the last 2 years and is 3rd yet again so far this season. His assist percentage numbers and apg number have gone up each year in an Iowa jersey. Also, in case some haven't noticed he is shooting very well from deep this season. He's 9-19 ie 47% so far.
9 made threes is less then 1 a game.. I do wish that a pg would be more of a 3 pt threat then he is. But I'm not taking anything away from how good of an overall player he's been. There are 10 other BIG schools I bet that'd take him in a heart beat

Mike isn't just an excellent player, he's a great kid, incredibly intelligent, and they type of guy you love to have representing the University of Iowa.

Latest posts