Mike Gesell's play

Mike isn't just an excellent player, he's a great kid, incredibly intelligent, and they type of guy you love to have representing the University of Iowa.

This is unequivocally true!

MG became a much better player and pg about half way through last season. It's like the light went on for him and the game slowed down. Since that time, he has stopped trying to do too much. He has become more of a distributor with less emphasis on scoring. He has become better and so has the team. Way to go Mike!

9 made threes is less then 1 a game.. I do wish that a pg would be more of a 3 pt threat then he is. But I'm not taking anything away from how good of an overall player he's been. There are 10 other BIG schools I bet that'd take him in a heart beat

I completely agree with you. I too wish Mike would shoot it more when he's open and it's a good shot. That said, one can't complain too much about his willingness to find open teammates.

We have plenty other shooters this year. I am content with him shooting at the rate he is. I would rather see him distributing, which he is doing so well.

We have plenty other shooters this year. I am content with him shooting at the rate he is. I would rather see him distributing, which he is doing so well.

I know what you mean but Mike taking and making an extra shot or two when given room would be a nice addition to his stellar distribution abilities. I'm perfectly content with what he has been doing, I just think that him taking an extra shot or two, when open, would make his game complete and give defenses another consistent scorer to worry about. Not to mention it would cause defenders to play him more tightly and possibly give him more opportunities to drive by his guy and create.

I know it sounds like I'm nitpicking, especially with how well he's been playing lately, it's just one of the things I wish he'd do a bit more of. I love Mike's game and have been one of his biggest supporters on this board through the years. This team will miss him and his experience next season. Throw all the seniors in the same category. They have all upped their games so far this season and the results are showing it.

Gesell takes way too much heat on this board, as does Woody.

They both have been pivotal in the Hawks resurgence. If you don't think so, you don't know basketball.

Gesell has been pivotal. I completely agree.

Woody has a role to play on this team, thats for sure, but it's not the role most people assumed it would be in his senior season. I'd say over the last 4 years he has barely progressed. It doesn't mean he's bad it just means he probably didn't live up to some of our expectations. Fair or not a 7 footer who is a 5 star recruit with offers to UNC should be able to dunk.

Gesell has been pivotal. I completely agree.

Woody has a role to play on this team, thats for sure, but it's not the role most people assumed it would be in his senior season. I'd say over the last 4 years he has barely progressed. It doesn't mean he's bad it just means he probably didn't live up to some of our expectations. Fair or not a 7 footer who is a 5 star recruit with offers to UNC should be able to dunk.

I agree on Woody, I think everyone, including myself, thought he would become dominant. It didn't quite get there. He peaked athletically at 18, tough to predict that.

Woody is who he is...if you re-evaluated he would bea 3 star at best now...but....you know that disruptive 3 quarter court press? That excellent zone defense? None of that is possible to the level we've seen without woody being a solid rOle player. I'm glad we have him...and yes I wish he was an offensive stud at 20 and 10....but i'll take him as an integral part of this team.

Woodbury just doesn't have the hands and footwork to be the tough offensive player. But a very good hawk. Not bashing as you only can do what u can do. Gesellschaft has been good at creacting angles for teammates since his freshman year

The criticism for Gesell stems from his shaky play late in close games. He'll have to prove himself on that stage to shut that up.

The criticism for Gesell stems from his shaky play late in close games. He'll have to prove himself on that stage to shut that up.

Purdue and Nebraska would have been different outcomes if Gesell had been "shaky". As it was he was excellent late in those games, protecting the ball and making his free throws. Same goes for the Florida St., Michigan St., and Drake games. He struggled in the ISU game, but really the late game TO by Uthoff and Woody were the back breakers in that game.

Latest posts