Mike Brey looking to step down at the end of the season at ND

InGoodCo

That's been the program that I've always worried about Fran leaving Iowa for. At age 63, I am not sure it happens. I mean, I think Fran is good enough, I think he's attractive to them with the success he's had in the B1G at a school in the same foot print. I guess it will depend if they want to hire a guy who's rapidly approaching retirement age. While it looks like a great fit from both sides and lord knows Fran probably wouldn't mind coaching at a school where people actually support basketball in his twilight years, I just don't see it. Never say never though.

That's been the program that I've always worried about Fran leaving Iowa for. At age 63, I am not sure it happens. I mean, I think Fran is good enough, I think he's attractive to them with the success he's had in the B1G at a school in the same foot print. I guess it will depend if they want to hire a guy who's rapidly approaching retirement age. While it looks like a great fit from both sides and lord knows Fran probably wouldn't mind coaching at a school where people actually support basketball in his twilight years, I just don't see it. Never say never though.

Then he wouldn't go to ND. Their fan support sucks.

They are also really bad. Like one of the worst P5 teams bad, and their top 5 players are all seniors, and 5th year COVID guys as well with 1 exception. So basically you're returning nothing from an already terrible roster.

I mean this with all due respect I think Fran is overall a very solid coach but he is not a quick turnaround guy. He is not a transfer portal guy. And I don't think it'd be a good hire for him or Notre Dame at his age. You don't want to hire a guy who will be hitting his stride the in program at 67.

I was thinking the same as soon as I saw the news. But agree that 63 may be a bit old to start over.

Lack of fan and administrative support, perceived or otherwise, was one of the factors that drove Alford out. But Fran has more integrity than Steve ever had, and would never publicly call out fan support the way his son did, or question the seating configuration of Carver or publicly question if Iowa is a "football school" like Alford did.

Have also wondered if Fran would ever show interest in finishing up back east? Last offseason a job opened up right in his hometown (Villanova) but didn’t they fill that from within?

Margaret has family living in nearby Minnesota. I can remember Patrick playing in high school in Cedar Falls (against Jack Campbell) and that was an easy trip down for some of Margaret's family and they sat four rows in front of us. Maybe that has an influence on him.

Notre Dame basketball doesn't have the same appeal that Notre Dame football once did (neither does their football) and it definitely doesn't have the appeal it had in the Digger Phelps era.

Maybe Eric Musselman goes after that job. Personally I think Eric is holding out for Kentucky and that job may be opening soon as well. Cal has fallen on hard times by that program's standards.

Last edited:
I really don’t think Fran would take that job right now. He’s got it pretty good in Iowa City and a third son in high school.

Isn’t his contract through’27 as well?

Then he wouldn't go to ND. Their fan support sucks.

They are also really bad. Like one of the worst P5 teams bad, and their top 5 players are all seniors, and 5th year COVID guys as well with 1 exception. So basically you're returning nothing from an already terrible roster.

I mean this with all due respect I think Fran is overall a very solid coach but he is not a quick turnaround guy. He is not a transfer portal guy. And I don't think it'd be a good hire for him or Notre Dame at his age. You don't want to hire a guy who will be hitting his stride the in program at 67.
ND stadium isn't as empty as Carver, but other than that you just repeated exactly what I said.

I really don’t think Fran would take that job right now. He’s got it pretty good in Iowa City and a third son in high school.

Isn’t his contract through’27 as well?
Being the 11th highest paid coach in the B1G isn't going to keep him at Iowa. I think his age will though and he actually has more roots in Iowa then almost anywhere else at this point.

Timing is everything... Is Fran looking to uproot Jack is probably the question... I almost think the ball is in Jacks court more then Frans. If he doesn't want to leave HS at this point I don't think Fran would put his name in the hat. If say Jack had just finished his last season at Iowa having played for Fran then yeah I'd be nervous about Fran leaving for ND. As an empty nester I could see him seriously consider it. But I'd be surprised if he did now.

To spin this with another angle. If only Patrick were involved in this scenario I could kinda see him maybe wanting a new fresh start somewhere else for his last yr with all that's going on with him. Maybe I'm all wrong and he 100% wouldn't want that. Just feels like a possibility.

I just feel with Jack having his SR yr of HS yet that is a tough time to be uprooting a kid from pretty much the only school he knows.

I've got to think that ND would prefer to go with a younger, up-and-coming coach. Ala Duke, even North Carolina; someone who has more left in the tank. Most P5 schools aren't going to go with a coach in his twilight years.

It could get pretty interesting in the next few months, that's for sure. This is the one job that I think he would most like to have with their ties, and he's not going to wait around for another coach to be there 7 yrs before they make another change.

I've got to think that ND would prefer to go with a younger, up-and-coming coach. Ala Duke, even North Carolina; someone who has more left in the tank. Most P5 schools aren't going to go with a coach in his twilight years.
I'd be curious to see the trends on coaching hires lately. Lots of younger guys are getting jobs now it seems like. The older ones must be getting fewer opportunities with that being the case.

Age wise I think Fran is right on the line of being a good fit. He could have 6-10 yrs left in him easy enough. If you're looking for a coach you ideally aren't looking for a short term less then 4 yrs kinda guy anyway. Not at a place like ND.

My best guess is Fran wants to coach Jack at Iowa and after that anything is on the table. He could retire or look for an opportunity that really pads his wallet or takes him somewhere he'd like to be. He'll be like 72 or so then right? I mean not a ton of new opportunities will probably be there then for him but ya never know. Fn Rick Pitino has a job for crying out loud.

I find there to be a real low probability ND would want to hire Fran at this stage of his career.

As for Fran, this is a lateral move at best. ND, like Iowa, will always be a football first school, but Iowa has more MBB success and support. He also has a very hands off AD and low media scrutiny.

I get why his name is coming up, and if I am Fran, I don't immediately dispel the rumors. He deserves a pay bump, especially if he can continue to steer the current squad to another tournament appearance. He is for sure a top half of the conference coach and should be paid as such.

I am not particularly worried about Fran leaving. He has a good thing going at Iowa. I don't see him uprooting now. We shall see.

ND stadium isn't as empty as Carver, but other than that you just repeated exactly what I said.

Correct, it's much more empty. Their stadium only seats 9,100 fans and the last few games had 6,216 tickets sold, 4,502 tickets sold, 6,105 tickets sold, and 6,151 tickets sold. They averaged 7,200 fans per game last year.

Being the 11th highest paid coach in the B1G isn't going to keep him at Iowa. I think his age will though and he actually has more roots in Iowa then almost anywhere else at this point.

Who will pay him more? He's making almost double what Brey did at ND.

I think he’s had consistently good teams with the exception of 2018 since 2014. IMO that’s when he hit his stride.
Basically agree, but his recent teams have produced more NBA players and are legit decent teams.

Other than getting out of the first weekend of March Madness (which I get is a really big thing), Fran has been incredibly successful the last few seasons. Between Garza, Weiscamp, and the Murray twins, winning the conference tourney, and finishing high in the conference regular season standings, Iowa's program is in very good shape.

I worry greatly that the good run is coming to an end though. We saw what we were without Murray earlier this season. He will not be here next year. We also lose Flip and Connor, at least. I like what we have coming back and in, but I don't see real difference makers there. Absent a portal infusion, which doesn't seem likely, its hard to see this team continuing the success of the last 4 seasons.

Just read a good article on The Athletic. Probably written by the writer who covers ND but not sure. Anyway, he lists nine candidates but did not include FM. Interestingly, he lists Darian DeVries from Drake and Micah Shrewsberry from Penn State.