Midlands Preview

pin2win

@hagertony
125 -- Northwestern's Brand Precin may be redshirting this season but the third-place finisher at the 2009 NCAA Championships has every intention of defending his 2008 Midlands championship in his home arena. He will be faced with a challenging field that includes 2009 NCAA champion Paul Donahoe--formerly of Edinboro--wrestling for the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Meanwhile, No. 9 Ben Kjar of Utah Valley will be in the mix along with Central Michigan's 15th-ranked Conor Beebe and 17th-ranked B.J. Futrell of Illinois.

133 -- 2008 Midlands champion Daniel Dennis of Iowa is back to defend his title, which he captured by upsetting second-seeded Nick Fanthorpe of Iowa State in the final, 4-3. Dennis and Fanthorpe garnered No. 4 and No. 5 preseason rankings, respectively. Maryland's eighth-ranked Steve Bell joins Dennis and Illinois' Jimmy Kennedy as 2009 All-Americans among the competitors at 133 pounds in this year's Midlands Championships. Five more top-20 grapplers are in the field as well, including Bucknell's David Marble (No. 13) and Tristen DeShazer (No. 15). Also of note is Central Michigan's Scotti Sentes, an All-American at 125 last season who has made the move to 133 pounds as a true sophomore.

141 -- As was the case in 2008, this is another Midlands field that is loaded with top-20 talent and returning NCAA All-Americans, highlighted by Iowa State's Nick Gallick, a third-place finisher at both Midlands and the NCAA Championships a year ago. Maryland's third-ranked Alex Krom placed fifth in the nation at 141 in 2009 while Iowa senior Joey Slaton (No. 6) figures to be in the mix as well. Three of the top four Midlands place-winners from a year ago have graduated, however, making this weight class one that is available for the taking.

149 -- 2009 Midlands champ and NCAA runner-up Brent Metcalf is the heavy favorite while Wisconsin's Kyle Ruschell, ranked No. 3 nationally, will be looking to earn a rematch of the 2008 Midlands final. American's Kyle Borschoff is in position to advance deep into the tournament after placing fourth a year ago while Purdue's Jake Patacsil, a 2009 All-American who is now in his redshirt season, will try to reach the tournament's finals after his third-place showing in 2008. Matt Mauseth of Wisconsin-La Crosse, the top-ranked 149-pounder in Division III and the 2009 WIAC Wrestler of the Year, is looking to make some noise as well. Finally, Northwestern's 15th-ranked Andrew Nadhir is aiming to make the leap to the Midlands medal stand for the first time.

157 -- In addition to eight wrestlers ranked in the top 20, the 157-pound field also includes Northwestern's returning NCAA qualifier Jason Welch, who is redshirting this season, as well as NU assistant coach Matt Storniolo, an NCAA All-American while at Oklahoma. Harvard's fourth-ranked J.P. O'Connor is another of the field's strong performers while Central Michigan's Steve Brown (No. 10), Chattanooga's Joey Knox (No. 11), Purdue's Colton Salazar (No. 12) and Indiana's Kurt Kinser (No. 13) all hope to make their presences known in the late rounds. Michigan State's Anthony Jones (No. 17) is also back in the field after placing sixth at Midlands last season.

165 -- With the return of Iowa State's fifth-ranked Jon Reader and Iowa's fourth-ranked Ryan Morningstar, the potential exists for a rematch of the 2008 Midlands final. Morningstar got the best of Reader in last year's Midlands championship bout, winning 5-4 in tiebreakers, and also edged Reader in the third-place match at the NCAA Championships by winning 7-5 in the first sudden victory session. Wisconsin sophomore Andrew Howe, who made it all the way to the NCAA finals as a freshman, is aiming to improve on his fourth-place showing at the 2008 Midlands. Bucknell's sixth-ranked Andy Rendos and Missouri's seventh-ranked Nick Marable have a chance to place highly in their respective senior seasons while Rutgers' Scott Winston, a would-be sophomore who is redshirting this season, will be looking to place after moving up from his 157-pound spot last year.

174 -- Central Michigan junior Mike Miller the nation's top-ranked 174-pounder and a runner-up at both the 2008 Midlands and the 2009 NCAA Championships, will have to contend with Iowa's second-ranked Jay Borschel, who finished third at Midlands a year ago. Maryland's Mike Letts took home third place from Midlands in 2008 and is ranked fourth nationally while Illinois sophomore Jordan Blanton entered the season with a No. 11 ranking. Other hopefuls include: Shane Riccio of Bucknell (No. 13), Dorian Henderson of Missouri (No. 14) and Luke Manuel of Purdue (No. 17).

184 -- Iowa's Phil Keddy, ranked No. 2 at 184 pounds, reached the finals of both Midlands and the Big Ten Championships before losing Northwestern's two-time NCAA champion Jake Herbert. Keddy is a favorite to win his first Midlands crown this year while American's Mike Cannon, the 2008 Midlands champ at 174, has made the move 184. Cannon, an All-American, is ranked fourth in the nation behind another member of this year's field, third-ranked Max Askren of Missouri. This stacked weight class features three more top-10 grapplers in Binghamton's sixth-ranked Josh Patterson, Harvard's eighth-ranked Louis Caputo and Lehigh's 10th-ranked David Craig. Patterson placed seventh at the NCAA Championships last season to become Binghamton's first-ever NCAA All-American wrestler.

197 -- Iowa State's top-ranked and defending NCAA champion Jake Varner lost a close 2-1 decision in the 197-pound finals of the 2008 Midlands to Wisconsin's Dallas Herbst but is the clear favorite to take the title this season. Maryland's third-ranked Hudson Taylor hopes to improve on his seventh-place finish at last year's Midlands while Wisconsin's sixth-ranked Trevor Brandvold will try to fill the void left by a departed Herbst. Another trio of highly ranked Big Ten competitors--Chad Beatty of Iowa (No. 10), Patrick Bond of Illinois (No. 11) and Logan Brown of Purdue (No. 15)--will be able to use Midlands to get an early look at their conference opponents.

285 -- The heavyweight field is headlined by two Missouri Tigers, top-ranked senior and defending Midlands champion Mark Ellis as well as redshirt Dominic Bradley, who finished fourth at Midlands a year ago. Another favorite comes in the form of Aaron Anspach, a member of the Penn State coaching staff and a 2007 NCAA runner-up at heavyweight for the Nittany Lions. They will be met with stiff competition by Iowa's Dan Erekson (No. 4) and Lehigh sophomore Zach Rey (No. 6) as well as Jarod Trice of Central Michigan (No. 10). In addition to four more top-20-ranked competitiors, the field also features Dan Laurent of Wisconsin-La Crosse, the nation's top-ranked heavyweight in Division III.

Thanks for doing a little bit more research!!! I guess I need to spend more time researching!!!! I am pretty excited to see how some of our wrestlers do!!!

Dont be so hard on yourself Tobini, the write up you did was great as well would still like to know what 10 you think will be scoring for Iowa at Midlands.

Here's mine

125-MM
133-Dennis
141-Marion, Slaton, Leclere
149-Metcalf
157-Open
165-Mstar
174-Jaybo
184-Keddy
197-Beatty
Hwt-Open

I left Hwt open because I dont think they should wrestle Erekson yet as he needs alot of conditioning im sure. If he is able to go I would take no points from Leclere.

I see the 10 scorers more like this.

McDonough
Dennis (if he goes)
Marion
Leclere
Metcalf
Janssen
Morningstar
Borschel
Keddy
Beatty

I posted this question just before the content was lost so i will ask again...How does the scoring for midlands go? I have never really paid attention to it but it seems to me, from reading the forums, that teams pick 10 people to earn points?

I posted this question just before the content was lost so i will ask again...How does the scoring for midlands go? I have never really paid attention to it but it seems to me, from reading the forums, that teams pick 10 people to earn points?

That is correct you can pick any ten wrestlers from your team no matter what weight they wrestle. Any mix and match lineup will work or the traditional 10 up to the coaches.

If Dennis cant wrestle do we take points from Moore or Gambrall? Thanks FF

That would make for an interesting decision for sure. My gut tells me that they would possibly take Slaton in that case since he is a more proven commodity. They could also consider Krutsinger, Moore, Matt Ballweg, Gambrall, or Rasing among others.

He was injured and didn't wrestle against UNI. I didn't hear anything serious. I would think he would be back by Midlands.

I must have missed something. Why would Dennis not wrestle at Midlands?

the guys doing the UNI meet said it was a ankle sprain but it didn't sound to serious. Hopefully he is back but you have to look big picture Midlands is a great tourny but Dan wants to be on top in March no need to rush anything in my mind.

Dennis has a high ankle sprain. Mark Ironside was on 1600AM last week and commented the Dennis was injured and was unsure when he would be back.

the guys doing the UNI meet said it was a ankle sprain but it didn't sound to serious. Hopefully he is back but you have to look big picture Midlands is a great tourny but Dan wants to be on top in March no need to rush anything in my mind.

very good point...but you know iowa just wants to go out and dominant all tournments

After 2008 I was excited to watch Joe Slaton come back seeking revenge for getting pinned in the finals pretty much immediately. I was disappointed not to see him much last year or this year. I don't disagree with Dennis being better (although Slaton did finish better in 08 than Dennis did in 09), I just wanted to see what Slaton could do.
It would be nice to see him at midlands if possible.

Last edited:
HaydensDad, I have watched Joey Slaton on the mat since his freshman year of high school. He is my son's favorite wrestler, right up there with Metcalf. I too would like to see Joey break through this year and end his college career on a high note. It is going to be a real tough sled for him to break into the lineup, once the 2nd semester hits and he regains his eligibility. Winning the Midlands, for a 2nd time, would be a great way to start his senior year.

HaydensDad, I have watched Joey Slaton on the mat since his freshman year of high school. He is my son's favorite wrestler, right up there with Metcalf. I too would like to see Joey break through this year and end his college career on a high note. It is going to be a real tough sled for him to break into the lineup, once the 2nd semester hits and he regains his eligibility. Winning the Midlands, for a 2nd time, would be a great way to start his senior year.
I knew he had weight issues last year but I didn't realize he wasn't eligible this year. Academics?

From a hawk perspective, I don't think we will learn a lot about our team this year but there are a few issues left to settle that the midlands may shed some light on.

How good can McDonough be?
What will 141 look like? I'll be watching Marion, Slaton, LeClere closely.
Is Janssen the answer at least this year for 157?
Will Keddy start wrestling like we know he can?
Rasing and Johnson? How much can they be counted on to score points?

For the future, I think we will learn a lot about what kind of a team we can put on the mat next year. I'll be watching these guys closely.

Nate Moore, Grant Gramball, Derek St. John

I feel really dumb having to ask about scoring for this tournament because i have been around wrestling for years, but do you have to pick the 10 point-getters before the tournament or after the wrestling has finished?

Latest posts