Michigan state.....

Winston had 10 turnovers or so. They did make almost every free throw they shot and still lost.

Illinois is getting better. That's my best explanation. Before anyone feels sorry for themselves that we never caught Sparty at the right time realize that we may have done just that against Illinois.

I didn't watch the game, but I wonder what the officiating was like. When Indiana played MSU the other day...MSU's big men were getting called for fouls and Winston wasn't getting calls when he came within 6 feet of a defender. It was a pretty evenly called game...but MSU was inconsistent from the perimeter and that's why Indiana hung around.

When I played MSU the second time, the refs swallowed their whistles on our offensive end. A team that pounds the ball down low consistently got 8 foul shots the whole game...75 percent below their average. Every time Winston went into the lane...foul. MSU shot the ball really well that second half and that is why they won...but it wasn't close because we weren't getting any calls.

I watched the entire game. Illinois was up in their grills on D. With Langford out for the season Winston is their only ball handler.

Late in the 1st half Michigan State was shooting 60% from the field and trailing by double figures. Illinois never trailed in the game until Michigan State went up 3 with 4 or 5 minutes left. Illinois responded with a 9-0 run and closed it out at the line.

Michigan State turned it over 25 times in their game at Illinois last season...most by an Izzo team in a decade. There was nothing fluky about this win. Illinois was better last night.

As I said in another thread...I don’t want anything to do with Illinois in the BTT...in Chicago.

LOL, true.

What the heck, MSU? Not typical of Izzo coached teams.
actually quite typical for MSU - they seem to always go through some sort of dry spell during the year at some point where they lose 3 to 5 in a row - never seems to matter in March but it typically keeps them off the 1 seed. It's just a fact, home court in college hoops is a bigger factor than any sport. Any team can lose to anyone on the road and all road wins, regardless of opponent should be considered gold even for the top dogs.

I said on a couple occasions I didn’t think this MSU team was anything special, especially without Langford.

I think last years MSU team would be favored by double digits on a neutral floor vs this current unit, and last years team was a 3 seed that got bounced in the second round.

They were asking Winston to do way too much and it just isn’t sustainable.

I just think college basketball is really down this year. The PAC12 is atrociously bad. Kansas is way down as is the Big12 as a whole. The Big East is way down.

actually quite typical for MSU - they seem to always go through some sort of dry spell during the year at some point where they lose 3 to 5 in a row - never seems to matter in March but it typically keeps them off the 1 seed. It's just a fact, home court in college hoops is a bigger factor than any sport. Any team can lose to anyone on the road and all road wins, regardless of opponent should be considered gold even for the top dogs.
When was their last trip to the Elite 8? It feels like they struggle every year of late.

Latest posts