Michigan State to Rose Bowl

briankaldenberg

Does this scare anyone else. Dantonio is building a machine. We already have Nebraska and Michigan to deal with, we rarely beat NW, and Minnesota has beaten us two times in a row. The last thing we need is Michigan State to land a few top 20 classes in a row.

I'd rather see Wisconsin or Penn State in Rose Bowl.

Michigan State doesn't scare me as much as Michigan on the up and up again. Michigan has a great recruiting class going and Hoke has people convinced he will turn program around (which he kind of already has). I said kind of.... considering they have only 2 losses.

MSU is a solid program. They have to break in a new QB next year, though. They'll definitely be a condender for quite some time, but I would think that on the whole, it'll be like it is now...they're about on par with Iowa.

Michigan, on the other hand, probably will be a monster in a few years (my opinion). They are already significantly better than last year, and after a few years of very solid recruiting, I don't think anyone will be kicking Michigan around. Michigan has, depending on the recruiting service, the #1 or #2 incoming class in the country.

Dantonio is building his "machine" with recruits that michigan lost while Dickrod was there. He recruited the south so Dantonio got a lot of instate and Ohio kids that UM would probably have gotten. They will decline in the next few seasons now that Hoke is at UM, IMO.

Does this scare anyone else. Dantonio is building a machine. We already have Nebraska and Michigan to deal with, we rarely beat NW, and Minnesota has beaten us two times in a row. The last thing we need is Michigan State to land a few top 20 classes in a row.

Just predict for MSU to go to the Rose Bowl. Then we'll know for certain that it won't happen.

Penn St. would be better since any momentum they gain from playing in the Rose Bowl will be crushed as things continue to fall apart there.

Not scared of MSU football. Not even the biggest show in their own town.

Dantonio is building his "machine" with recruits that michigan lost while Dickrod was there. He recruited the south so Dantonio got a lot of instate and Ohio kids that UM would probably have gotten. They will decline in the next few seasons now that Hoke is at UM, IMO.

Interesting point.

The only thing that scares me about MSU in the Rose Bowl is how badly they'll choke as they so often do in big games. The Big 10 doesn't need any help getting made fun of across the nation and Sparty getting blown out on the biggest stage won't help matters...

Michigan State doesn't scare me as much as Michigan on the up and up again. Michigan has a great recruiting class going and Hoke has people convinced he will turn program around (which he kind of already has). I said kind of.... considering they have only 2 losses.

The best thing that could have happened to Michigan was Ohio State getting hit with NCAA violations. This has really helped Michigan in recruiting.

But MSU in the Rose Bowl does not scare me at all. I think MSU is chomping at the bit to prove they belong after last years fiasco. But I truly do believe the Big Tens best chance of winning the Rose Bowl is Wisconsin. They have an offense that might keep up with Oregon or USC.

this is 100% accurate.

I'd sell Michigan State right now.

And how did going to the Rose Bowl work out for Illinois the last few years?

MSU takes a HUGE hit to graduation going into next season. They graduate 11 senior starters that were the most successful class in MSU history. That's gonna be a big drop off. Kind of like Iowa took going into this season except they don't have a viable QB. Michigan on the other hand just will get better. Think the division next season will look like this:

LEGENDS
Michigan - No question, the best in this division with great coach and talent
Nebraska - Martinez returns and good recruiting class and skill positions
Northwestern - Iowa could be here but NW looks to be improving and continue to replace QBs with better ones.
Iowa - NW could be here but Iowa takes a bigger hit with graduation of our best players, DL is atrocious next season and McNutt is gone. Poor recruiting shows again as freshmen/sophomores not ready yet
MSU - the biggest dropoff in the conference in terms of talent, going to be similar to what Iowa experienced without benefit of down conference or experienced QB
Minnesota - still have another year of rebuilding before move up

LEADERS
Ohio State - Urban Meyer + talent = instant success
Wisconsin - big hit to graduation too but benefit from mess of teams below them
Purdue - only here if Hope is still coach
Indiana - young talent got lots of experience plus benefit from mess in this division
Penn State - new coach staff, mess left for years
Illinois - Zook is gone

Last edited:
Also, MSU is a coaching stepping stone job.

And it always will be. Particularly now that Hoke appears to have Michigan back on track.

MSU is a solid program that has always brought in talent so I'd expect that to stay the same. But its going to be tough for them to keep a great coach.

Also, lets wait to see how MSU responds to losing a ton of skill position talent after this season.

Latest posts