Michigan Scouting and Cade McNamara.

MelroseHawkins

I really haven't heard this discussed too much in the media or on podcasts. How valuable is it having Cade on Iowa's team only being a year out from participating with Michigan as well as starting there? He might be the most valuable player on Iowa's roster this week helping with the scouting and game scheming. One has to think KF, and Phil are tapping into his knowledge of Michigan's offense, alignment and play tendencies with down and distance. That guy knows that offense inside and out.

He may not be able to play this game, which I am sure is just killing him, but he sure can have an impact on the game with his knowledge and input. One can tell from listening to him he's a pretty smart guy. What an advantage for Iowa and will Michigan change it up a bit because of this?

How has this not been discussed by analysts and pod-casters?

Last edited:
I really haven't heard this discussed too much in the media or on podcasts. How valuable is it having Cade on Iowa's team only being a year away from participating with Michigan as well as starting there? He might be the most valuable player on Iowa's roster this week helping with the scouting and game scheming. One has to think KF, and Phil are tapping into his knowledge of Michigan's offense, alignment and play tendencies with down and distance. That guy knows that offense inside and out.

He may not be able to play this game, which I am sure is just killing him, but he sure can have an impact on the game with his knowledge and input. One can tell from listening to him he's a pretty smart guy. What an advantage for Iowa and will Michigan change it up a bit because of this?

How has this not been discussed by analysts and pod-casters?
HawkCentral did a write-up on this. Said it was helpful, but could be overwhelming if not handled in the right ratio.

I think any potential advantage would be very minimal. We already know what Michigan's playbook looks like, we have tape. But that doesn't mean we know which play is being called in which situation. McNamara could give you a little insight into some of the thought processes in how Michigan formulates a game plan, but any benefit would on the tiniest of margins, in my opinion.

Now, if you arranged to illegally obtain another team's hand signals, and then used that knowledge during a game to know what was coming on a given down, THAT would provide an advantage. But who would stoop to such a level?

I think any potential advantage would be very minimal. We already know what Michigan's playbook looks like, we have tape. But that doesn't mean we know which play is being called in which situation. McNamara could give you a little insight into some of the thought processes in how Michigan formulates a game plan, but any benefit would on the tiniest of margins, in my opinion.

Now, if you arranged to illegally obtain another team's hand signals, and then used that knowledge during a game to know what was coming on a given down, THAT would provide an advantage. But who would stoop to such a level?
This is exactly what I was thinking when writing the OP. Agree that it might be a minimal benefit but anything can help if he can shed some light on the 2-3 plays they might like in a certain situation and with certain alignments.

I'm not so sure if that would help a whole lot. I mean he'd have to be sitting in with coach Parker to do all that and is that happening? I don't think Iowa plays defense all that much based on the other teams tendencies so much as they do just matching up with formations and situational play. Michigan is good at what they do too schematically. I have a feeling they'll try and establish the run early and often and they won't have a ton of trickery to it. If Iowa can frustrate them and keep them from doing that up and down the field then things could get interesting. But Michigan isn't going to want to throw it anymore then we do if they can help it.

This will be about who's tougher and if it's close in 4th who can make the fewest mistakes or make a big play. I don't think Xs and Os is what this game will be about. Both teams could tell the other what they are gonna do and results will damn near be the same.

I'm not so sure if that would help a whole lot. I mean he'd have to be sitting in with coach Parker to do all that and is that happening? I don't think Iowa plays defense all that much based on the other teams tendencies so much as they do just matching up with formations and situational play. Michigan is good at what they do too schematically. I have a feeling they'll try and establish the run early and often and they won't have a ton of trickery to it. If Iowa can frustrate them and keep them from doing that up and down the field then things could get interesting. But Michigan isn't going to want to throw it anymore then we do if they can help it.

This will be about who's tougher and if it's close in 4th who can make the fewest mistakes or make a big play. I don't think Xs and Os is what this game will be about. Both teams could tell the other what they are gonna do and results will damn near be the same.
TOP for this Iowa team is a big indicator which team will have success. Teams who possess the ball and move the chains against Iowa seem to give Iowa fits. Iowa only had 30 some plays against Penn St. to Penn St. 90+ plays. Iowa's D was on the field way too much.

1701319197720.png
Ok Brian, Kirk this is Michigan's playbook that I had from last year.....they have 101 plays for us to defend:
1701319299244.png

This is roughly our offensive playbook:
1701319360257.png

But, remember, we have a very good defense and special teams. We have that going for us.

This. It's exactly why KF downplayed the significance of it when asked about it.
Good point. The other thing we have to take into consideration is our defense is very basic and disciplined. We start getting caught up in their tendencies too much and over thinking things it may lead to us taking more chances and blitzing more or going away from what we do best which tends to get us in trouble.

Let's be honest, our offense isn't going to do us any favors in this game and will struggle greatly. The last thing we want to do on defense is try to get too aggressive and dial up a blitz at the wrong time allowing them to break off huge plays when were susceptible due to limited numbers in coverage.

Phil's going to do what Phil does and if we have a chance we need him to do just that. We don't need to go away from what we do best to try to find ways to be more aggressive with our defensive play calling. It could very well blow up in our face.

Michigan fans are wild. Was it that long ago when Jake Rudock went there? It was literally when Harbaugh first got there pretty much I think. As if they didn't milk him for whatever they could at the time on us too. It's just how it works and it's hardly even a topic.

View attachment 10518
Ok Brian, Kirk this is Michigan's playbook that I had from last year.....they have 101 plays for us to defend:
View attachment 10519

This is roughly our offensive playbook:
View attachment 10520

But, remember, we have a very good defense and special teams. We have that going for us.

Wait, the original Tecmo bowl was 9-man football? Not only that, but with an even # of players on the LOS, guaranteeing an unbalanced set on every snap. I was probably in elementary when I played that game, but I feel like I still should have figure that out before now.

Wait, the original Tecmo bowl was 9-man football? Not only that, but with an even # of players on the LOS, guaranteeing an unbalanced set on every snap. I was probably in elementary when I played that game, but I feel like I still should have figure that out before now.

Thanks goodness, Tecmo Super Bowl had 11 guys. My world would have been shattered had I belatedly realized that game was only playing with 9.

1701441888285.png

Steve Deace keeps it real here.

Summed up exactly ... absolutely nothing Cade McNamara knows or thinks he knows is going to have any impact on the outcome of this game. Michigan is the better team with the better players.

Minimal, if any, advantage.

If Iowa wants to even be competitive in this game, the focus will need to be on maximizing their own execution both offensively and defensively. Every player doing his job with maximum intensity on every play.

Trying to find angles utilizing McNamara would just serve as a distraction IMO.

Latest posts