Michigan Class of Big Ten

Michigan has been fortunate to have a fairly easy schedule so far. Remember, they lost to the Gophers by 20. Have the Hawks lost to anyone by 20? (OK, I guess they lost by about that to the Zags, but that's not the same thing) They beat the Buckeyes Saturday, but then, the Hawks barely lost to OSU without CJ. I'm gonna be optimistic.

Michigan has been fortunate to have a fairly easy schedule so far. Remember, they lost to the Gophers by 20. Have the Hawks lost to anyone by 20? (OK, I guess they lost by about that to the Zags, but that's not the same thing) They beat the Buckeyes Saturday, but then, the Hawks barely lost to OSU without CJ. I'm gonna be optimistic.
Iowa only lost by 11 to Gonzaga. Closer to 10 than 20.

Hate to say it but Juwan Howard is building his own dynasty up there. Couldn't be a more perfect storm.

Michigan alum, Fab Five member, successful and long NBA career, fans love him, inheriting a ridiculously successful program with a huge recruiting advantage...

And to be honest, I can't dislike the guy. Listening to him in interviews he's such a laid back, non-aggressive type coach, and he's obviously got great buy-in from fans and players. It's tough to root against a guy like that as opposed to Beilein or Harbaugh.

Hate to say it but Juwan Howard is building his own dynasty up there. Couldn't be a more perfect storm.

Michigan alum, Fab Five member, successful and long NBA career, fans love him, inheriting a ridiculously successful program with a huge recruiting advantage...

And to be honest, I can't dislike the guy. Listening to him in interviews he's such a laid back, non-aggressive type coach, and he's obviously got great buy-in from fans and players. It's tough to root against a guy like that as opposed to Beilein or Harbaugh.
I agree that Juwan sounds like a pretty good dude, and he really has it rolling. The only thing I would worry about if I were a Michigan fan might be, are they recruiting too well? We've seen the Blue Bloods like Kentucky and Duke not do all so hot in the Big Dance recently when they rely on one-and-dones (not even counting this year). Upper- classmen are a good thing in college basketball and Michigan has a good mix of experience this year. But they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the B1G for as long as he is the coach.

Yep, watching this made me jealous..

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/ln5bzk/thats_my_coach/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

It did, it was surprising how much the team struggled without him.
Not really. You lose a huge 3-point threat which affects floor spacing and who can drop to double-team Luka. He's smart with the ball and doesn't commit the "dumb" turnovers. He's also a good passer. He's a good ball handler. While he's not a lock-down defender, he is better than adequate. The players that took his minutes can all do some of those things but none can do all of them. When he's out of the lineup it doesn't leave a glaring hole like we would have if Luka or JoeW were out, but there's a hole nonetheless.

I've never ever had any major issues with Beilein. Certainly not coaching issues. He took two teams to the national championship game. Personality wise he's very similar to Gene Keady, a coach I did once dislike but learned to respect over the years.

Howard does seem likable. And for not having any previous major college head coaching experience he's settled in quite well.

Not sure why I am obsessed with Michigan playing all 20. I guess it is the precedent it may be setting by allowing the brand names to run roughshod over the rest of the conference.
I'm partial to them playing all 20 games to earn the title, but if nobody beats them the point is moot.

I'm partial to them playing all 20 games to earn the title, but if nobody beats them the point is moot.
I don't get why Nebraska, who has no shot of making the dance, is being forced to play 14 games in a months time. Basically Feb 6th to March 7th - NU plays 14 games... in 30 days

meanwhile

Michigan, who is in the title hunt is only being asked to play 8 games in about 22-23 days - I don't get why the B1G isn't forcing a tighter schedule on UM to make up the games. It's horse shit IMO. Iowa had to cram games so should UM.

Iowa is going to beat Michigan tomorrow night, if CJ plays at least 25 minutes.
I doubt it's a simple as that. CJ could play all 40 minutes and if other things don't happen ,Hawks likely to lose. Let's start with defense...it has to be man to man and it has to be pressure. The match up zone appears and Michigan will light us up for 90 +. The starters have to be really good. Garza, Joe W, and CJ have to score. CMac and Jbo have to add some offense. The bench has to provide something. 20 bench points and solid minutes from the bench combined and we have a shot. There's always a chance the team your playing is due a clunker of a game. Michigan is solid, experienced, and deep. I wouldn't bet the house on the clunker theory. Go Hawks.

I doubt it's a simple as that. CJ could play all 40 minutes and if other things don't happen ,Hawks likely to lose. Let's start with defense...it has to be man to man and it has to be pressure. The match up zone appears and Michigan will light us up for 90 +. The starters have to be really good. Garza, Joe W, and CJ have to score. CMac and Jbo have to add some offense. The bench has to provide something. 20 bench points and solid minutes from the bench combined and we have a shot. There's always a chance the team your playing is due a clunker of a game. Michigan is solid, experienced, and deep. I wouldn't bet the house on the clunker theory. Go Hawks.
With Illinois losing last night isn't Michigan two games clear of the rest of the league?

Even 2005 Illinois didn't get through the conference gauntlet without a couple stumbles. All those great Izzo teams? Painter's best teams? I think Michigan is ripe for the picking. But Nunge and Toussaint must show up. And it would be nice if Keegan could repeat Maryland.

Golly gee, it does happen to other teams.

Ron Harper of Rutgers came into tonight's game with Indiana mired in the mother of all 3 point shooting slumps. In the last ten games he was 4 of his last 43.

That is beyond laughable. A D1 player could play with a patch over one eye and should never hit a slump like that. But Harper did.

And has promptly hit four of them tonight. Wait a minute. Against Indiana?

I thought things like that only happened to Iowa.

Latest posts