Micah Hyde

First off, I am pleased with the win on the road this weekend. The biggest concern for me is with Hyde though. Late in the 2nd half Forcier wasn't even thinking about looking to his right. It was at Micah all the way.

This may be beating a dead horse, but do you guys believe that Bernstine or someone else should get a shot? Bernstine had Prater beat out until injury last year. Is he still hobbled or what is the deal?

Bernstine has been injured this year, and I don't think he has the hips to play CB seeing as he's been playing safety when he is in the game. I don't think he ever had Prater "beat out" but it was spring practice and the coaches just listed the more experienced player ahead of the less experienced player.

Hyde looks to be the best athlete of our other options, Castillo/Lowe/Bernstine but he's playing a little slow still and not showing the knack for the position that guys like Amari and Prater did. I always wonder what Lowe's attitude or practices are like because he seems fairly athletic but never plays anything but special teams. Castillo just isn't very athletic, but seems to have the mental aspect down. Lowery is a true freshman, not sure we want to go there either.

I thought he played well and had a HUGE INT on Forcier in Q3, great play anticipating the throw. I wasn't all that down on the D considering the amount of yards they gave up. They were on the field a long time, I guess it was the down-side of scoring so easily on Saturday. The one glaring disappointment was the lob to the goal line where we had to secondary guys and we didn't make a very good play on the ball, UM scored on the drive later on goalline.

Growing pains.......he will be all big ten performer before his career is done. Seems like a bright kid.....he'll figure it out just part of the process.

There is definitely some concern in this department. It was clearly obvious they were picking on Hyde and they weren't the first team to notice this. I think he will grow into the position over time but we are in the middle of a dream season right now and this is not the time we need a question mark at CB.

The staff probably feels he is their 2nd best CB. So they are playing him! :)

(i never understand these topics - better players are on the bench, etc. - coaches more than anyone want to see their players and team succeed.)

The staff probably feels he is their 2nd best CB. So they are playing him! :)

(i never understand these topics - better players are on the bench, etc. - coaches more than anyone want to see their players and team succeed.)

I'm not trying to compare Hyde to the bench. I know like you do that the coaches play the best players. My issue is that the 2nd best CB on our roster may not be up to par yet and others are definitely taking advantage of it.

Hyde is an upgrade from the Antwan Allen and Adam Shada days. Oh, that was tough to watch sometimes.

He did seem to get picked on a bit there late. I think the entire D looked really tired, I saw Clayborn take himself out on at least 3 occasions, they were long drives and I'm sure they were all sucking wind. Good enough to get by for this week at least.

Hyde is an upgrade from the Antwan Allen and Adam Shada days. Oh, that was tough to watch sometimes.

He did seem to get picked on a bit there late. I think the entire D looked really tired, I saw Clayborn take himself out on at least 3 occasions, they were long drives and I'm sure they were all sucking wind. Good enough to get by for this week at least.

Shada...

I agree. We are in a better position now with Hyde.

I think that some of you should rewatch the game. Other than a few bad plays Hyde didn't play all that bad. Prater got picked on several times also. He didn't play great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some are trying to make it.

Shada? How about one of Kirk's cornerbacks his first year in Tim Dodge -especially when he was assigned to defend Plaxico Burress.

I think that some of you should rewatch the game. Other than a few bad plays Hyde didn't play all that bad. Prater got picked on several times also. He didn't play great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some are trying to make it.

Losing focus and letting a man run bye you in Cover-3 is inexcusable. Our DBs cannot blow coverage like that or we won't beat UW or MSU. We can't give teams easy 50 yard tds. This isn't the first time this season Hyde has let men run by him, he needs to fix this.

Losing focus and letting a man run bye you in Cover-3 is inexcusable. Our DBs cannot blow coverage like that or we won't beat UW or MSU. We can't give teams easy 50 yard tds. This isn't the first time this season Hyde has let men run by him, he needs to fix this.

I have to agree with this. And to be honest it's not just Hyde, but Prater has had a couple of incidents as well. I don't remember getting beat over top last year as much as we have this year.

Generally, Iowa's secondary play wasn't very good. No need to single out Hyde. Sash, Greenwood & Prater did not play very well. Sash was out of position many times and missed numerous tackles. Also, he was late getting over when Forcier threw the long dead duck to Roundtree near the goal line. It was inexcusable that that pass wasn't intercepted. I'm sure he will hear about it from the coaches this week.

Likewise, the long touchdown pass might not have been entirely Hyde's fault. In Iowa's basic cover 2 scheme, Hyde should have had deep help from Greenwood. The break downs in coverage appeared to be everybody's fault, not just Hyde's.

Phil Parker has a lot or work to do this week to correct the secondary mistakes. They were numerous.

Generally, Iowa's secondary play wasn't very good. No need to single out Hyde. Sash, Greenwood & Prater did not play very well. Sash was out of position many times and missed numerous tackles. Also, he was late getting over when Forcier threw the long dead duck to Roundtree near the goal line. It was inexcusable that that pass wasn't intercepted. I'm sure he will hear about it from the coaches this week.

Likewise, the long touchdown pass might not have been entirely Hyde's fault. In Iowa's basic cover 2 scheme, Hyde should have had deep help from Greenwood. The break downs in coverage appeared to be everybody's fault, not just Hyde's.

Phil Parker has a lot or work to do this week to correct the secondary mistakes. They were numerous.

Watching the game again in replay, I think we were in a cover three deep and he thought we were in cover two and missed his assignment.

Shada? How about one of Kirk's cornerbacks his first year in Tim Dodge -especially when he was assigned to defend Plaxico Burress.

Plaxico was a complete stud at MSU and the NFL career speaks for itself, no one could cover him. Adam Shada couldn't defend anyone at below .500 NWU or Indiana. I still have nightmares of him trying to cover tall WR at Indiana who torched us every year!

The nice thing is Hyde will now get to learn from all of these mistakes he made and we still got the win. The INT sort of balances the blown coverage in my book. Like Kirk's teams, players will get better as the season continues.

Latest posts