Micah Hyde

Growing pains.......he will be all big ten performer before his career is done. Seems like a bright kid.....he'll figure it out just part of the process.

Yes. Let's give him a big kinnick boost next saturday. He'll be a good one.

Losing focus and letting a man run bye you in Cover-3 is inexcusable. Our DBs cannot blow coverage like that or we won't beat UW or MSU. We can't give teams easy 50 yard tds. This isn't the first time this season Hyde has let men run by him, he needs to fix this.

Last year, Penn St., Speivey got caught cheating peaking into the backfield.....it happens. Hyde has the skill set to be a good corner....he'll figure it out...he's the best the hawks got right now...Castillo, Lowe, Bernstine were better they would be playing.

Plaxico was a complete stud at MSU and the NFL career speaks for itself, no one could cover him. Adam Shada couldn't defend anyone at below .500 NWU or Indiana. I still have nightmares of him trying to cover tall WR at Indiana who torched us every year!

James Hardy torched the entire secondary, not just Shada. I also believe he was a 2nd round draft pick.

I am almost sure that coverage that Hyde got burned on was supposed to be cover 3. i think he tried to jump the slot's route and was shocked that Forcier went deep. I think he was trying to make a play. He is going to be really good. He is going to make mistakes for the rest of the season. By his Senior year he should be an All Big Ten performer.

If they're going to attack Hyde, I'm sure the coaches will figure out a way to perhaps even work that to their advantage.

Hyde's good, but inexperienced. Hopefully he and the coaching staff will sit down and work out what to do and not do.

I am almost sure that coverage that Hyde got burned on was supposed to be cover 3. i think he tried to jump the slot's route and was shocked that Forcier went deep. I think he was trying to make a play. He is going to be really good. He is going to make mistakes for the rest of the season. By his Senior year he should be an All Big Ten performer.

Our corners seem to be doing this more frequently this year. Prater broke away from his man on his pick 6 before Bolden had even thrown the ball. I'm not sure I like them guessing so much. Jumping slants and short out routes is one thing, the intermediate routes (when you have a deep third to cover, with an outside receiver heading to your zone) is another.

I think that folks have to remember that Michigan has VERY good WRs. Iowa's secondary definitely got picked on. However, given that Miller and Bernstine are apparently injured ... it's not like we're swimming with depth at safety ... thus, we can't throw in a 3rd safety like we used to. Thus, we had to play with the cards that we had.

Hyde got picked on some ... however, other than his big miscue ... he played okay. Not great ... but okay. Quite frankly, he didn't play much worse than Prater. Prater got picked on too. He's a guy who really needs to start elevating his game, because I'm not certain that he looks much better than he did last year.

First off, I am pleased with the win on the road this weekend. The biggest concern for me is with Hyde though. Late in the 2nd half Forcier wasn't even thinking about looking to his right. It was at Micah all the way.

This may be beating a dead horse, but do you guys believe that Bernstine or someone else should get a shot? Bernstine had Prater beat out until injury last year. Is he still hobbled or what is the deal?

Ugh, you are kidding right? 1 play the kid gets burned on, but he is there for the remaining plays. This is by design in the Iowa Defense, just like it has been for years. Isn't this horse dead yet?

Last year, Penn St., Speivey got caught cheating peaking into the backfield.....it happens. Hyde has the skill set to be a good corner....he'll figure it out...he's the best the hawks got right now...Castillo, Lowe, Bernstine were better they would be playing.

+1. I think Hyde's overall athletic ability is unreal, but he's just young and gaining experience. I also agree w/ the poster saying that the entire secondary hasn't been as sharp as last year, in particular Sash (as discussed in another thread), and at times I wonder if Prater wouldn't be better playing man. He seems like a jitterbug that has fantastic feet and that he could lock on about any WR in the conference. All that being said, I thought earlier this season Castillo looked vastly improved from last season, in which he looked comparable to Shada (and no, that's not a compliment), and wonder if he wouldn't be a decent nickel instead of going to a 3-4 and inserting Tillison. I guess in the long run it's a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" scenario, but like getting another RB carries, I'd hope we have the fix in place if something does break.

Bernstine had Prater beat out until injury last year.

This is complete BS. Bernstine had a place set aside for him as a veteran in Spring ball. But, he was a slash with Prater and it was pretty clear the spot was Prater's to lose. Think of it like Hundertmark and MacMillan. Even though Cody was listed on the 2 deep as second string, everyone knew Nolan was going to be jumping to the head of the line.

And where do you expect a QB to throw. Prater is developing into the next high draft pick at corner for Iowa and Hyde is a first year player.

Generally, Iowa's secondary play wasn't very good. No need to single out Hyde. Sash, Greenwood & Prater did not play very well. Sash was out of position many times and missed numerous tackles. Also, he was late getting over when Forcier threw the long dead duck to Roundtree near the goal line. It was inexcusable that that pass wasn't intercepted. I'm sure he will hear about it from the coaches this week.

Likewise, the long touchdown pass might not have been entirely Hyde's fault. In Iowa's basic cover 2 scheme, Hyde should have had deep help from Greenwood. The break downs in coverage appeared to be everybody's fault, not just Hyde's.

Phil Parker has a lot or work to do this week to correct the secondary mistakes. They were numerous.

Agreed. I mentioned this in another thread but it bears repeating. The safety should've helped Hyde on the deep TD.

However, it doesn't excuse Hyde from consistently getting torched down the field by Stonum. That was hard to watch. They've got to figure out a better way to defend that this week. (and don't give me the bend don't break argument cause you can do that scheme better than how we did late against Michigan).

Guess what? He is the least experienced starter on defense. He is also the best option the Hawks have. Get freaking over it.

Cornerbacks are always whipping boys. It is probably the hardest position to play.

I don't think its "probably"... IT IS! Watch any game on Sunday and you'll see a CB making the same mistake and getting beat. It happens, and they are getting paid millions. We were playing not to lose in the second half of that game and you also have to remember that our D prepared for two weeks to defend Denard Robinson, and I'm betting they were hoping to force him to throw cause that's what he's not good at. What had been drilled into their heads for two weeks is now out the window and you got a kid that can chuck the ball around taking snaps for Michigan. We won, now... Let's beat some Badgers!!!

Latest posts