Melsahn's "T"

Penn State was getting away with cold-blooded murder whenever the Hawks attempted a shot under the basket they were deliberately hit in the face hard. We played hadr and tough but not dirty/nasty. I like the class Fran and the team showed by not resorting to the Lions thugish behavior. We played rough, tough smash mouth Big Ten basketball but kept it clean......

The refs were letting PS get away with too much dirty play, and should have let the technical go considering what they were letting Penn State get away with......

Fran did the exact correct thing by sitting Mel down. Many times a player in similar situations gets another foul immediately. It is common, that's why most coaches will sit a player for a short period of time to regain his composure.....

Reminds me of the Penn State game at Carver last season when Aaron was dunking the ball whicu was inside the rim when Tim Prazier smashed him in the face with his forearm Hard. Aaron landed, turned around and roared at Tim Frazier. He was criticized for it, but I do believe it was a perfect reaction. He didn't get into Frazier's face or yell at him, he merely roared. Love his intensity. I also like Woody, last night, after being almost tackled came down on the offenders head, slamming it to the floor in the natural flow of things, physically correct.. It was a natural move. He could have eased up a bit, but he gave it a little extra. I say: Good for him......

I loved the way Zach ripped the ball away from the opponent which resulted in a favorable jump ball.....

Did I mention that Joah hit a wonderful three, perfect form. It was a thing of beauty.....

:)

'Zackly, Jack. Did you see Aaron's shot where the PS player popped him in the nose? Wasn't even under the basket; second half, Aaron was to the right of the basket near the 3 point line, IIRC. Several TV shots immediately after showed Aaron checking his nose to see if it was bleeding, make sure it was OK.

Josh also made a 3; is Joah a little used walk-on? :rolleyes:

A replay of the game is still available on ESPN3. Obviously you can't hear what might have been said, but it really didn't look like Mel did anything excessive. Hell, I thought it was for hanging on the rim when it was first called.

It was weak, but I see why Basabe was T'd up. The game also seemed a little chippy. A lot of forearm/elbows to the ribs on foul shots, players slapped in face on shots, etc. So T'ing up Basabe for some mild taunting was probably the refs way of trying to keep things under control.

It was weak, but I see why Basabe was T'd up. The game also seemed a little chippy. A lot of forearm/elbows to the ribs on foul shots, players slapped in face on shots, etc. So T'ing up Basabe for some mild taunting was probably the refs way of trying to keep things under control.

Nevermind the fact that Iowa wasn't the one needing to be reined in.

True. But officiating may not always seem fair or linear when the stripes are trying to get play under control.

But in that case, it sends the message to the team playing dirty that they can continue with impunity. If Basabe had retaliated with a hard foul of his own or something, that'd be one thing. But when Iowa wasn't allowed to respond to the crap PSU was pulling, it doesn't send the message that the game is being taken back by the officials.

First off I think it was kind of a BS call but OK whatever. Anyone else think it was a bad idea to pull him and sit him on the bench. I think one of the the things this team needs is someone, anyone to play with a set of B A L L S. He makes a play like that, gets the team and the home town crowd going, and your reward is a walk back to the bench. WOW. They show a shot of him sitting there and you could see it on his face, he wanted to be wound up but was thinking he did something wrong. Wrong message, you walk out to him, put a finger in his face and yell "THAT IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF". Am I off base here?

So many times a player after an emotional issue like that will make another foul.

Basabe got a personal foul equivalent with the tech then if he tries to make up for it and gets another cheap foul that hurts.

Basabe played great. Fran might have been defending his foul situation and letting him cool off.

Obvious Technical, are we really questioning the call and than Fran's decision to take him out for a minute? Basabe was obviously emotional (not a bad thing) but it was smart for Fran to pull him to take a minute and re-focus.

I fail too see how it was an "obvious call" I watched it on DVR twice and I still can't figure out what he did to get a T.

I fail too see how it was an "obvious call" I watched it on DVR twice and I still can't figure out what he did to get a T.

Agree. Watched it three times and the ref saw something I didn't. The officiating was horrible, again. And it wasn't just that they allow rough play- it was horribly inconsistent. The phantom three point foul on White, the lack of the three point foul with White shooting soon after, the ticky fouls our guards in the second half. I think the foul count on the game was 26-14 or something; could have been 36-10.

But Penn State is bad, and that's one thing you can do when you can't do anything else.

Likely something was said that only the stripes heard, at least give them that benefit of doubt. Either that or they didn't like the way Mel appeared to get up and quickly approach the PS player who raked his arm.

...But Penn State is bad, and that's one thing you can do when you can't do anything else.

And this is why I am quickly developing a dislike for their coach. Clearly the type of game he wants them to play since they can't defend or keep up any other way. The refs should have put a halt to it earlier with some whistles and technicals, and a warning to the bench.

th

I don't think the refs knew you can call a foul on a made dunk. Both Basabe and Marble got raped on their dunks and both were obvious. There is no excuse to miss those calls.

Likely something was said that only the stripes heard, at least give them that benefit of doubt. Either that or they didn't like the way Mel appeared to get up and quickly approach the PS player who raked his arm.

Yep... I was sitting on the baseline...after the dunk Mel said a few words to the PSU player

Yep... I was sitting on the baseline...after the dunk Mel said a few words to the PSU player

I'm sure he said something. Don't know what. But if you want to get the game back under control in those situations, you don't call a BS technical on Basabe when Iowa was being mauled, because of your ****** officiating, because he had a few words for a player who fouled him (with no call) on a monster dunk.

You get control back by calling a flagrant foul or two on those dirty plays, not by penalizing the team taking the beating the first time they step remotely out of line.

Obvious Technical, are we really questioning the call and than Fran's decision to take him out for a minute? Basabe was obviously emotional (not a bad thing) but it was smart for Fran to pull him to take a minute and re-focus.

You just don't quit do you? It was anything but an obvious technical. Basabe must have muttered something that the ref didn't like. Nice try though clown doosh.

Latest posts