Melsahn's "T"

floydvane

First off I think it was kind of a BS call but OK whatever. Anyone else think it was a bad idea to pull him and sit him on the bench. I think one of the the things this team needs is someone, anyone to play with a set of B A L L S. He makes a play like that, gets the team and the home town crowd going, and your reward is a walk back to the bench. WOW. They show a shot of him sitting there and you could see it on his face, he wanted to be wound up but was thinking he did something wrong. Wrong message, you walk out to him, put a finger in his face and yell "THAT IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF". Am I off base here?

You are not allowed to show emotion or yell after making a dunk after being constantly fouled on the block on previous possessions.

I think this is in the NCAA rule book or whatever this old *** refs think are rules. Who knows.

I just don't think you wanted him to let that Tee **** him off and have him make a mistake after it. Even Fran walked by him after he sat him down and said something and Basabe seemed fine with it. Seemed like he told him "no biggie" or something. He wasn't mad at him it didn't seem.

I just don't think you wanted him to let that Tee **** him off and have him make a mistake after it. Even Fran walked by him after he sat him down and said something and Basabe seemed fine with it. Seemed like he told him "no biggie" or something. He wasn't mad at him it didn't seem.

It didn't seem like they were, Fran probably has a policy of pulling kids if they get a technical so he stuck to that, but wasn't really mad at him.

And going out on the court and yelling "That's what we need more of" after a player has gotten T'd up is a terrible idea.

If the ref called a T on what he did, imagine he'd get T'd up again if he 'asked' or showed any reaction to the first one.

Coaches pull the kids to defuse any possible problems.

BS call.

From what I could see on the tube it was the right call for what Mel did, and Fran did the right thing pulling him to let him cool off. You could see on TV his reaction to being raked across the arm on the jam and stumbling due to the contact: glaring at the opponent, getting up within inches of his head (from the back, as I recall), appearing to say something. Mel shouldn't have done it but understandably he was frustrated with the physical play the officials were allowing.

It could have been avoided if the lead official had immediately whistled a foul (not sure what he was looking at to miss it) and gone to where the two players were. A word to the offender to allow some of the steam to escape the boiler, and also to Mel would have helped.

If I had been assessing that officiating crew, they would have received very low marks for game/player management. The play got out of hand; against "harder" Iowa players, the game could have gotten even more ugly than it was, with retaliation, more T's and possibly ejections.

Kmaj, I really don't think he was that close, and I really don't think he even stared at the dude he dunked over. He did yell something, which may have got him the Tee.

Obvious Technical, are we really questioning the call and than Fran's decision to take him out for a minute? Basabe was obviously emotional (not a bad thing) but it was smart for Fran to pull him to take a minute and re-focus.

Kmaj, I really don't think he was that close, and I really don't think he even stared at the dude he dunked over. He did yell something, which may have got him the Tee.

I'd like to see the video again if someone has it. My immediate reaction seeing it in real time and Mel's quick reaction towards the opponent made me think either retaliation was coming or he was going to do something to get T'd up. Pretty obvious, as I recall.

Just dawned on me, has Fran even gotten a technical yet this year? Hard to believe but I can't think of any.

Penn State was getting away with cold-blooded murder whenever the Hawks attempted a shot under the basket they were deliberately hit in the face hard. We played hadr and tough but not dirty/nasty. I like the class Fran and the team showed by not resorting to the Lions thugish behavior. We played rough, tough smash mouth Big Ten basketball but kept it clean......

The refs were letting PS get away with too much dirty play, and should have let the technical go considering what they were letting Penn State get away with......

Fran did the exact correct thing by sitting Mel down. Many times a player in similar situations gets another foul immediately. It is common, that's why most coaches will sit a player for a short period of time to regain his composure.....

Reminds me of the Penn State game at Carver last season when Aaron was dunking the ball whicu was inside the rim when Tim Prazier smashed him in the face with his forearm Hard. Aaron landed, turned around and roared at Tim Frazier. He was criticized for it, but I do believe it was a perfect reaction. He didn't get into Frazier's face or yell at him, he merely roared. Love his intensity. I also like Woody, last night, after being almost tackled came down on the offenders head, slamming it to the floor in the natural flow of things, physically correct.. It was a natural move. He could have eased up a bit, but he gave it a little extra. I say: Good for him......

I loved the way Zach ripped the ball away from the opponent which resulted in a favorable jump ball.....

Did I mention that Joah hit a wonderful three, perfect form. It was a thing of beauty.....

:)

The other night in the Indiana-Purdue game, Sheehey dunks and lets out a caveman yell...no T. Later he gets fouled with an AND 1, so he turns to the Purdue student section and flexes his .22 caliber gun and kisses it basically, yet no T. Basabe dunks and smiles while running down the court and he gets a T. Hell, MSU should get 10 T's per game, as Payne, Nix or Dawson always have some huge display of emotion after flushing one.

The other night in the Indiana-Purdue game, Sheehey dunks and lets out a caveman yell...no T. Later he gets fouled with an AND 1, so he turns to the Purdue student section and flexes his .22 caliber gun and kisses it basically, yet no T. Basabe dunks and smiles while running down the court and he gets a T. Hell, MSU should get 10 T's per game, as Payne, Nix or Dawson always have some huge display of emotion after flushing one.

I think that all comes back to recruiting. Iowa needs to get better athletes who are better at basketball and better at not getting T'd up.

Latest posts