Mel Kiper on Ricky Stanzi

JohnnyDakota

Watching the NFL draft breakdown on ESPN and Mel thinks Stanzi will have the BEST NFL career of all the quarterbacks in this years draft. That's quite a statement!

its arguable that he's in the best situation, much like aaron rogers was. the other qb's are on some awful teams and will probably get the david carr treatment (beat up often and early).

Todd Mcshay disagrees completely and keeps saying he will be nothing more than a backup. Hope hw is wrong

its arguable that he's in the best situation, much like aaron rogers was. the other qb's are on some awful teams and will probably get the david carr treatment (beat up often and early).

Except he was a 5th round pick which means teams do not think he is that good. By that logic I would say Enderle from Idaho is in the best situation. He is behind Cutler and has Martz coaching him who has turned last round/undrafted players into good qbs (Warner, Bulger, Fitzpatrick) in the past.

When I saw Mel say that, I thought that was the 'kiss of death' on Ricky's career. ;)

Ricky is in a good position to succeed. Playing behind a veteran QB, who is mediocre. If Ricky continues to develop he could push for a starting QB in 2 - 3 years.

Except he was a 5th round pick which means teams do not think he is that good. By that logic I would say Enderle from Idaho is in the best situation. He is behind Cutler and has Martz coaching him who has turned last round/undrafted players into good qbs (Warner, Bulger, Fitzpatrick) in the past.

Any quarterback who plays for the Bears will not be considered the best anything.

I've been skeptical of Stanzi all along, but I have to say that being in KC might be the best possible situation for him. It's a perfect system.

When I saw Mel say that, I thought that was the 'kiss of death' on Ricky's career. ;)

Ricky is in a good position to succeed. Playing behind a veteran QB, who is mediocre. If Ricky continues to develop he could push for a starting QB in 2 - 3 years.

I actually think that when McShay gives you an exemplary endorsement, THAT is the kiss of death.

Well Mcshay also said Brian Brohm was better than Aaron Rodgers. Everything this guy says is negative and he is rarely correct. Mel Kipper Jr is the authority on the subject for a reason.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s[/ame]

In his evaluation of Brohm, Merrill Hodge says something to the effect of "my only concern about this guy is his accuracy."

How many times are NFL draft experts and teams going to make this same mistake? Accuracy should be the absolute #1 thing teams are looking at. If a guys can't throw accurately at the college level, how on earth is he going to succeed at the NFL?

I'd love to see a historical breakdown of how many college QBs were flagged for accuracy issues during the draft, how many of those went on to be successful, and how many were busts.

I actually looked at that as an indictment of all the other QBs. Let's remember, the only two who played under center in college were Dalton and Stanzi. The rest will have to learn how to take a snap, 3 step drop, etc.

That being said, Newton has "potential bust" written all over him. Physical freak, but was a one year wonder and his style of play hardly relates well to the NFL. He'll play right away, but I doubt he's able to lead his team anywhere anytime soon.

Ponder was unimpressive and frequently injured in college. Wil likely see the field as a rookie whether he's ready or not. A big reach, IMO.

Dalton has the tools but spent most of his career playing against inferior compton. Unless something huge happens with Palmer, he'll be the starter. Likely to struggle, because the team is in such disarray.

Kaepernick is an excellent athlete with a big arm, but like Dalton is surrounded by a shaky staff. Could be like Campbell and see 3 OCs in 3 seasons.

Mallett is likely to get in trouble with the law, but even if not he won't play until Brady calls it quits.

Ricky is reuniting with his TE, and joining a team with a great receiver in Bowe and a home run threat RB in Charles. If he's allowed to learn for a season or two, and there are no major coaching shake-ups, he has the best chance of the QBs drafted to become a success.

Last edited:
In his evaluation of Brohm, Merrill Hodge says something to the effect of "my only concern about this guy is his accuracy."

How many times are NFL draft experts and teams going to make this same mistake? Accuracy should be the absolute #1 thing teams are looking at. If a guys can't throw accurately at the college level, how on earth is he going to succeed at the NFL?

I'd love to see a historical breakdown of how many college QBs were flagged for accuracy issues during the draft, how many of those went on to be successful, and how many were busts.

The funny thing was that Hodge even said that quarterbacks who are inconsistent with accuracy don't pick it up in the NFL, but then goes on to say he still likes Brohm better than Rodgers.

Meanwhile, Rodgers was the guy who completed his first 23 passes, and finished 29-31, against arguably the best defense in the nation his senior year (USC).

Don't forget the Chiefs just drafted Baldwin to complement Bowe, and Jim Zorn will be Ricky's QB coach. He's in a great spot. If Cassel can't put it together for more than just the one year, Stanzi has a chance to start in 2 or 3...

Gabbert/Stanzi are probably in the best position to have long term success.

Most important thing for Stanzi being drafted by KC, the hiring of Jim Zorn as QB coach.

I laugh every time I see someone say something like this. Matt Cassel is a young QB on the verge of becoming elite. He threw for over 3k yards last year with 27tds and only 7ints in only his 3rd year as a starter. Barring injury or major regression he's likely going to be their starter for another 5-8 years.

Ricky stands a far greater chance of developing for 3 years under Cassel and going elsewhere to be a starter than he does unseating Matt in KC.

I laugh every time I see someone say something like this. Matt Cassel is a young QB on the verge of becoming elite. He threw for over 3k yards last year with 27tds and only 7ints in only his 3rd year as a starter. Barring injury or major regression he's likely going to be their starter for another 5-8 years.

Ricky stands a far greater chance of developing for 3 years under Cassel and going elsewhere to be a starter than he does unseating Matt in KC.

And your the guy that thinks Roethlisberger isn't a franchise quarterback, but Matt Cassel is???? You think Roethlisberger is a journeymen, but Cassel is on the verge of being elite. :eek:

Absolutely. I'd take Cassel in a heartbeat over Ben given Ben's off the field issues. Without considering them it's damn close, I'll let you know after next season.

Absolutely. I'd take Cassel in a heartbeat over Ben given Ben's off the field issues. Without considering them it's damn close, I'll let you know after next season.

Fair enough. FWIW, Roethlisberger is getting married this summer and rediscovered his faith. Not really sure if it is sincere or just a process of cleaning up his image.....I guess time will tell.

If he is sincere, I am taking Roethlsiberger and it is not even close.

Latest posts