Meh.....It's all about the Tournament

Anything can happen in the Big 10 Tournament and/or the NCAA Tournament. Someone good (that's not playing well) makes a run every year. It's unexpected because said team wasn't playing well. But it's not a shocker because said team had the talent to play well. Seeing the 4 bench players all get 12 to 17 minutes and score 27 points collectively also gives me hope. We could have a solid and deep 9 player rotation by March 17.

I think there is a huge difference between playing with heart and playing hard and playing well. My opinion is they played hard and with heart at times last night. Playing well requires smart decisions, making clutch field goals (layups included), hitting needed free throws, rebounding, and playing defense.

This team plays hard, but I don't think they've been playing well and I think losing 5 of 6 illustrates that.

Well said.

We were gifted a chance to win the B1G title and couldn't win at home or beat a bad team on the road. It definitely stings. Plus I don't see any way this team makes the Sweet 16. Teams have figured out how to slow down Jok and Uthoff and we don't have the players to make up for it

We weren't "gifted" anything. The team played well and started 10-1, that wasn't a gift, that wasn't luck, that was the team when it plays well. Unfortunately the team hasn't been playing well for 2-3 weeks, hopefully they turn it around.

I don't see how anyone can honestly think this team will play better in the NCAA tournament.

Why not? Look at every team across college basketball, they have all had down moments. Heck take MSU for example when they lost 4 out of 7 games at one point, and Izzo was calling them p@ssies for the most part. Take a look at Duke, and Kentucky, and heck Indiana in the non conference, and on and on.

Now I'm not saying Iowa is for sure going to start playing like they were in Dec. and Jan., but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. The team has certainly spent more of the year playing well (All of Dec. and Jan losing 2 games) than they have playing poorly (The last 2-4 weeks).

This team is SO UPTIGHT. Fran needs to relax. Smile. Loosen up. It will rub off on the team.

It isn't Fran, the players aren't performing in the last 4 min. Fran needs to sit Woody & Gesell at that point in the game. I'm sorry, but those guys just simply disappear with under 4 min. We need a guys who can actually get to the basket and make something happen like Uhl or Wagner with under 4 min. to play. I think that Fran should also move Clemmons to the PG with under 4 to go. At this point I'd go with Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl, and Wagner. You can space the floor with 3 shooters and Uhl and Wagner can both dribble drive to the basket.

Last night we came back to take the lead with Wagner, Uhl, Williams, and Baer fueling that comeback. Then we put in the guys in who got us a 14 point deficit to close out the game with under 4 to go.

We weren't "gifted" anything. The team played well and started 10-1, that wasn't a gift, that wasn't luck, that was the team when it plays well. Unfortunately the team hasn't been playing well for 2-3 weeks, hopefully they turn it around.

Exactly - this team earned it's 10-1 start. Yes, MSU was playing like garbage when we beat them but Iowa handled them easily - looked good doing it. That comeback in West Lafayette was no small task, and they handled them pretty easily in the rematch game.

Really the problem continues to be those last few minutes of close games. It's plagued Fran's teams the past few years. Iowa has had every opportunity to win the last 3 in a row. Win even 2 of those games, I don't think we're having this discussion. You'd be looking at 22-7 (13-5), or 23-6 (14-4) if Iowa was actually good at finishing games.. But instead, here we are, staring at 10-11 losses heading into the NCAA's.

What a wasted opportunity.

Still, anything can happen in March Madness. Just need to cling to that hope.

Exactly - this team earned it's 10-1 start. Yes, MSU was playing like garbage when we beat them but Iowa handled them easily - looked good doing it. That comeback in West Lafayette was no small task, and they handled them pretty easily in the rematch game.

Really the problem continues to be those last few minutes of close games. It's plagued Fran's teams the past few years. Iowa has had every opportunity to win the last 3 in a row. Win even 2 of those games, I don't think we're having this discussion. You'd be looking at 22-7 (13-5), or 23-6 (14-4) if Iowa was actually good at finishing games.. But instead, here we are, staring at 10-11 losses heading into the NCAA's.

What a wasted opportunity.

Still, anything can happen in March Madness. Just need to cling to that hope.

Yep, totally agree. Reminds me of two years ago when Fran would trot McCabe out time and time and time again with under 4 to go, only to watch him never hit a shot, or make any big plays. If the guys aren't getting it done, put in someone else and give them an opportunity.

There were a lot of encouraging things from this game. It's nice that we're starting to get some bench contribution once again. I'm not really anti-Ellingson, but I think this team needs a guy like Williams who can just get a bucket sometimes. Hopefully Christian can continue to play well.

I know Fran loves giving his players the green light to shoot, but he has to emphasize better shot selection, especially with Pete and Jarrod. Those two need to step their game up again and I think the team will be OK.

Why not? Look at every team across college basketball, they have all had down moments. Heck take MSU for example when they lost 4 out of 7 games at one point, and Izzo was calling them p@ssies for the most part. Take a look at Duke, and Kentucky, and heck Indiana in the non conference, and on and on.

Now I'm not saying Iowa is for sure going to start playing like they were in Dec. and Jan., but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. The team has certainly spent more of the year playing well (All of Dec. and Jan losing 2 games) than they have playing poorly (The last 2-4 weeks).

Somehow I do not think Iowa will copy what Connecticut did a couple of years ago.

I'm watching that OJ Simpson show on the FX Channel and I am really hoping he is found guilty this time, but I have a sinking feeling the jury is going to blow the verdict again.

So who are these Kardashian kids they keep showing? I wonder if they get a reality show in the future?

Somehow I do not think Iowa will copy what Connecticut did a couple of years ago.

You never know. Did you know Connecticut was 8-1 to win the National Championship that year...going into the Final 4? They had won 4 games in the NCAA Tournament and people still gave them no chance.

If we defend like we do last night we aren't going to get past the first round. We lost at home with a chance of a Big 10 title on the line, I don't know how people think we played well.

I dont either and to hear Mccaffery say they played well in the postgame was pretty concerning. No you didnt, you have up 47 points in the first half, got jumped the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, multiple second/third shots and wide open 3s. That isnt playing well and wont win games in the Big 10

Once Iowa blew the game Vs Wisconsin and OSU, I moved onto caring about the NCAA tournament, as the B1G title was out of grasp. If we go to the Sweet 16, I really don't care how we finished the year.

It's going to be hard to get to the Sweet 16 playing out of the 8/9 game in the NCAAs.

It isn't Fran, the players aren't performing in the last 4 min. Fran needs to sit Woody & Gesell at that point in the game. I'm sorry, but those guys just simply disappear with under 4 min. We need a guys who can actually get to the basket and make something happen like Uhl or Wagner with under 4 min. to play. I think that Fran should also move Clemmons to the PG with under 4 to go. At this point I'd go with Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl, and Wagner. You can space the floor with 3 shooters and Uhl and Wagner can both dribble drive to the basket.

Last night we came back to take the lead with Wagner, Uhl, Williams, and Baer fueling that comeback. Then we put in the guys in who got us a 14 point deficit to close out the game with under 4 to go.

I like what I see from the bench but there is no way Gesell stays out the last four minutes. Bench Woody, that's fine. Just don't have Gesell go to the hoop with the game on the line. Have him facilitate and draw the double team and kick it to one of our shooters. Somebody besides Gesell must want that shot.

Playing like last night should get us past the first round. A deep run isn't in the cards for this team tho because they can't win close games.

Agreed.

Playing like last night would have won the last 5 games and we would already have had the B1G wrapped up prior to last night.

Just saying that even though they lost, the team actually did play much better than they had been the last 5 games. Just not good enough to beat the B1G champs.

If we get that level of play I think we easily get past the round of 64 and have a decent shot at making it to Sweet 16. Now, that's a big IF, but despite the added awful loss and again going 3-15 to finish the game...the team played better overall, especially the 2nd half (barring the last 3 minutes...again)

I agree with the OP.

However, to get to the Sweet 16 benchmark, you have to be playing well, or at least, improving in March.

Iowa is doing neither. And frankly, I don't think can simply 'turn on the switch' to do so.

So, the swoon hurts as I think it mirrors this team's psyche, which is certainly not good coming up to tournament time.

If we defend like we do last night we aren't going to get past the first round. We lost at home with a chance of a Big 10 title on the line, I don't know how people think we played well.

I didn't say we played well. I said we played good enough to beat our opening round opponent. I'm just assuming that team will not be as good as indiana.

Latest posts