Meeks opens recruiting back up

Interesting turn of events. Curious to see if he changes his mind. Also interesting that his brother is giving up wrestling to go to North Carolina School of the Arts...reminds me of one of those movies where the son (or daughter) makes decisions that will please their parents and finally decides to step out on their own and follow their heart's desire.

kid wants a full ride or i guess his dad does which i don't blame him but the hawks can't afford to give him a full ride i really don't know where he is going to be able to get one out of the powerhouse schools

i hope iowa can nab him but not at full status

clark is who we r after in my book

kid wants a full ride or i guess his dad does which i don't blame him but the hawks can't afford to give him a full ride i really don't know where he is going to be able to get one out of the powerhouse schools

i hope iowa can nab him but not at full status

clark is who we r after in my book

Nobody could blame him for wanting as much of his school paid for as possible.

The 9.9 scholly limit is tough. I'm surprised more of the wrestlers who take less than 0.5 scholarships don't take their skills to DII or a lesser known DI and get that money. Or maybe they do and I just don't notice?

Last edited:
Jimmy Gulibon is THEE name we need to keep a close eye on...... I think he may be our #1 target next year.......

No hope at all for Meeks with me.

I'd say our top targets for next year are Gulibon(141/49), Petersen(197), Gilman(133), Peters(125), and Clark(125/33) in that order........

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to guess at this point.

Meeks - ISU
Gillman - Nebraska
Clark - Iowa
Peters - UNI

To me Peterson is the key and I really hope that he Hawks can find a way to sign him up!! Guilbon would be nice but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Gillman loves the Hawks but unless something changes most likely won't be a Hawk.

I'm interested with the contact period starting in a week to see how many early commits there are around the nation and who all contacts some of these recruits right away.

I'm confident in Gulibon FF.... Agree about Meeks to ISU and Peters to UNI. Wouldn't be the least shocked to see Gilman and Clark both at Iowa.....

Curious as to your comment about "unless something changes" on Gilman???

If I had to guess at this point.

Meeks - ISU
Gillman - Nebraska
Clark - Iowa
Peters - UNI

To me Peterson is the key and I really hope that he Hawks can find a way to sign him up!! Guilbon would be nice but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Gillman loves the Hawks but unless something changes most likely won't be a Hawk.

I'm interested with the contact period starting in a week to see how many early commits there are around the nation and who all contacts some of these recruits right away.

I don't think Jackson will throw a full scholy his way. If anyone gets a full ride in the next recruiting cycle it will be Taylor Massa from Michigan. Also, Jackson is working on Rossi Bruno from Brandon, FL. He is also a 130 pounder, and is a better prospect than Meeks. We already have the Brandon coaches son ready to compete in his first eligible action next year. Jackson needs to work that school, as it is one of the three best programs in the country.

I doubt we can throw much money the way of Massa (not that he is not worth it), we are stocked up pretty well where he projects and we need to get some guys for the lower weights and we need a 197 very badly. I have heard Guillibon's name before re the Hawks so it seems some smoke on that front. He is very good. I know USAF is very high on Gilman and I am as well. He looks very good and his style looks made for Iowa. A kid that good who is a fan of our program; you have got to make it happen. Get him here. I think Clark is very good as well and the kind of in state kid you need to keep. If they could fill 125, 133, and 141 with Gilman, Clark and Guillibon and still get a quality 197 like Peterson then you are talking #1 class stuff as you have filled need at 4 weights with top of the line guys at each. I'd like to get a couple 285 bodies in the room as well for Telford to roll with. I think Peters is great too with the only question on him being his size. Throw in guys like Hathaway, Ryan, Devos and Carton and there is a gold mine of talented kids at the lower weights in and around Iowa. I hope the staff can work their magic.

Ok guys I'm with FF on this one. Pretty much agree with where he has this group of guys listed. First I ever heard of Gulibon of even being a consideration. Yes he is pretty good and would be a very nice get but I would be REALLY suprised if he ended up here. My top 3 recruits would be:

1. Peterson
2. Gilman
3. Gulibon(if possible)
3. Clark(If Gulibon is not a possibilty)

Yes I like Gilman that much!!!!! I still feel that Peterson should be #1 on our list due to him filling a bigger need but I would put Gilman a VERY close 2nd!!!

FF I normally dont question you but I think the first contact the coaches can initiate with recruits is July 1 like falcon stated above. I wish it was only a week away Im ready for some of the top recruits to start making their decisions.

Top Recruits in my eyes:
1. Peterson (would help fill a huge hole we will have after next year)
2. Gulibon (kids a stud and will grow into a nice 141/149)
3. Clark (motor, motor, motor kid never stops scoring)

In the dark recruit: Willie Miklus the kid has grown alot over the last couple years and once he adapts to his body has a ton of potential.

Yes coaches can't have direct contact off campus, but recruits can still visit and have on campus communication with coaches.

Hawks 1010,
I would have no problem putting Clark in front of Guilbon either. Honestly I feel its a coin toss between the 2. I did a depth chart for each weight and 141 is fine for the next 4 years after Marion(Josh D.) 133 would be fine after Ramos is gone with Clark/Gilman and of coarse whoever is at 133 the other could go 125.

There's going to be some coaches answering some questions there. A little hazing used to be pretty common in wrestling rooms, but these are different times.

I've only seen Meeks a few times, but I'd have a hard time finding a recruit with more upside in the Iowa room. His finals match this against Bauer he reminded me a lot of Robles actually. Really low, wrestling in neutral from his knees, but still explosive, comfortable in scrambles, and overpowering for his weightclass. If not Iowa, I'd love to see Schwab throw a full scholarship at him. UNI isn't going to win a NC anytime, but if they could get a kid like that who could compete for a NC it would at least start getting them back on the map.