Meeder?

SCHawkeye2

Who made the call to insert Meeder on the final FG?
Woods or KF?

And what is up with Stevens? 3 blocked kicks in last two games. Kickoff OB? Is he injured or just the yips?

Stevens is a Sophomore, correct? He was really bad today. Where is his head at? The 3% chance of winning the B1G title game will depend on someone making field goals.

They said on the Hawkeye of the Storm podcast that the decision to use him was made by Kirk at halftime. Stevens would be used for long range and for short range Meeder.

They also said that Stevens may have a pulled groin but that’s not confirmed.

Stevens is a Sophomore, correct? He was really bad today. Where is his head at? The 3% chance of winning the B1G title game will depend on someone making field goals.

I'll be honest. I listened to this podcast after the Rutgers game where they interviewed him. I suppose I could be reading into it too much, but I came away thinking he doesn't have a lot of mental toughness. Here's a link starting at the part I thought was telling.

They said on the Hawkeye of the Storm podcast that the decision to use him was made by Kirk at halftime. Stevens would be used for long range and for short range Meeder.

Yeah he fricken pulled something alright! More like Lucy kept pulling the ball out on him!

Well whatever the problem I hope Stevens gets it fixed. I would hate for him to turn into another trent Mossbrucker. (I think that was his name, you know, the guy that got the yips and got pulled for Daniel Murray for the game winning kick against PSU in 2008 and never kicked again.)

Edit: I guess Mossbrucker got a 2nd chance to win the kicker job in 2010 and was the kicker until game 3 against Arizona, and got pulled again, this time for Meyer.

Last edited:
I’m sure Stevens is a good guy and he’s down on himself right now, but as a fan I don’t give a f*ck if he figures it out if Meeder is better. If Meeder is better at this point in time—for whatever reason it is—he needs to be kicking. At this level of football there’s no such thing as built up goodwill being able to purchase playing time opportunities. If you get the yips as a kicker, if you get the drops as a WR, if you get butterfingers as an RB, if you get the whiffs on blocks and tackles, the better guy (at the present moment) needs to go into the game until he’s no longer the better option.

Same with Rastetter back in the day. He was crippling our team and everyone including himself could see it. They should have let literally anyone try, and had open campus tryouts, but they let him go too long because his uncle was a regent, and look what it got us.

They made the right decision yesterday.

Anybody know Meeder's length for kicking? Wonder where that cutoff is?

Sounds like if Stevens has a good week of practice it'll be his gig again. He just got all kinds of sideways last week for some reason. It was the 2 kick offs that went out of bounds for me too. Who am I to get inside a kickers head but coach doing what he did benching him for the 2nd half won them the game. I'm not sure what Meeders range is (that snap was a ground ball and timing was messed up on it) so I assume he can kick a little further out then the 38 yrds he barely made. But I bet he doesn't have 50 yard range. So ideally it'd be nice if Stevens can get it together.

I just hope the other dudes get it together. They gotta block better and snap it better too. I'm not so sure those blocks were all on Stevens even if he did kick em a little low.

Sounds like if Stevens has a good week of practice it'll be his gig again. He just got all kinds of sideways last week for some reason. It was the 2 kick offs that went out of bounds for me too. Who am I to get inside a kickers head but coach doing what he did benching him for the 2nd half won them the game. I'm not sure what Meeders range is (that snap was a ground ball and timing was messed up on it) so I assume he can kick a little further out then the 38 yrds he barely made. But I bet he doesn't have 50 yard range. So ideally it'd be nice if Stevens can get it together.

I just hope the other dudes get it together. They gotta block better and snap it better too. I'm not so sure those blocks were all on Stevens even if he did kick em a little low.
I'm a firm believer that regardless of what a guy looks like in practice if he's not getting it done in the games then you give the next man in a shot and insert him back into the the game the following week and hook him again if he's not getting it done or sit him if the back up is the better player. That said I'm absolutely torn as to how you put a player into that situation without him seeing any previous field time, but refuse to go with a backup QB regardless of how poor a QB is placing.

That said, it won us a game. However, I'm not certain the blocks were all on Stevens, so if I'm a coach I damn well make sure that the center and the line are getting an ear full and remind them that this time it was Stevens getting the hook and the next time it very easily could be them.

The weather wasn't even that bad, it's hard to believe that he could have done this poorly with it unless he's injurred.

Anybody know Meeder's length for kicking? Wonder where that cutoff is?

Don't think it's long based on the game winner. He barley made a 38 yard FG and it was with the wind. I'm sure he was nervous as could be which hopefully played into the fact his kick was not far.

Don't think it's long based on the game winner. He barley made a 38 yard FG and it was with the wind. I'm sure he was nervous as could be which hopefully played into the fact his kick was not far.
the weather might have played into it as well. Also, I think Stevens is from South Carolina I believe and wondered if that might have been playing into his recent difficulties. It was pretty chilly Saturday. Just speculation on my part, though.

Latest posts