Media Day

So when you say you will believe it when you see it, does that mean you will assume they're lying until you see improved defense, or you will believe all the extra work on defense will help when you actually see it?
It's one thing to talk about it and spend time working on it in practice. It's another thing to use up a lot of your energy in a game, playing defense. Having to watch you stat line fall off because your defense has picked up. Watching your minutes shrink because you're worn out quicker and more frequent. It's much harder to play good defense than it is to play good offense.

Just read Fran's transcript. Talking about who the better defenders were, etc. He named Cook, Baer, JW and some others but then he said Bohannon and Moss were "scorers" "offensive players". That's not encouraging at all. If he's not going to demand better defense from the 1 and the 2 spots, this team won't be much different than last year. :confused::mad:

Ummm...I've read through everything I can find on Iowa Basketball and still only have one question. How the hell can a cyst weigh 9 pounds? Can someone explain that to me? If it had it's own mouth and digestive system...it wasn't a cyst.

Garza is a proud father of a 9 pound baby cyst.

Just read Fran's transcript. Talking about who the better defenders were, etc. He named Cook, Baer, JW and some others but then he said Bohannon and Moss were "scorers" "offensive players". That's not encouraging at all. If he's not going to demand better defense from the 1 and the 2 spots, this team won't be much different than last year. :confused::mad:

The good news is we have more options to replace them if they aren't plus players. Maybe Connor gets 20 minutes because he plays better defense. Sorry Bohannon, but you're down to 20 minutes because you can't defend. Maybe Wieskamp and Dailey defend the 2 spot better. Sorry Moss, you're down to 15 minutes because you can't defend. Frank did say they are offensive players, but he didn't say their minutes won't go down because of it.

Exactly...we know JBo is a great offensive player...but if he gives up the same amount of points...he's a wash. Teams just attacked him off the dribble and created for everyone. He has to be stronger defensively or you have to protect him some way..you can't play better defense without shoring that up.

Fran may want to give Bohannon the "green light to be the leader" on the team and all but that's gonna blow up in his face if he thinks he can demand better defense from 3 spots on the floor but not the other 2. That's a recipe for disaster.

So when you say you will believe it when you see it, does that mean you will assume they're lying until you see improved defense, or you will believe all the extra work on defense will help when you actually see it?
In defense of this poster, Fran said all of this last year. There is a credibility issue with Fran.

If I just flew in from the planet Krypton...and I had the opportunity to listen to Fran talk about his players...I'd think he has a team commensurate with the 2016 Golden State Warriors. He's terrific, exceptional, fabulous, tremendous...ok.

I'm impressed...then again, everyone knows we don't play any defense on Krypton.

The good news is we have more options to replace them if they aren't plus players. Maybe Connor gets 20 minutes because he plays better defense. Sorry Bohannon, but you're down to 20 minutes because you can't defend. Maybe Wieskamp and Dailey defend the 2 spot better. Sorry Moss, you're down to 15 minutes because you can't defend. Frank did say they are offensive players, but he didn't say their minutes won't go down because of it.
When Fran talked about Connor he never once mentioned defense. That’s why the push for him to get minutes never added up to me. Sure he can maybe get spot minutes at PG to spell JBo but I don’t see any reason he should be taking minutes from others.

Nunge is a 4. Hopefully, this comment means that's where he primarily plays.

There is no reason Iowa should have wasted any time at all experimenting with him at the 3 last year. It was a disaster, and at least they have moved past that.

I don’t think they are lying, I think they’ve worked on it, I think it’s been a point of emphasis. I’ll beleive it works when I see it. Talk is talk, Fran and the program have lost that benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to preseason hyperbole

There is no reason Iowa should have wasted any time at all experimenting with him at the 3 last year. It was a disaster, and at least they have moved past that.
From most accounts, Nunge looked a lot better playing the 4 in the PTL. I guess Fran didn't watch the PTL.

Wtf a 9 pound cyst? I'm sorta jealous... No woman can claim he doesnt know what it's like carrying a baby around for 9 months.

Dead on analysis. Talk is cheap. He has not taught defense and even admits he is an offensive minded coach. Some are starting to see that Fran specializes in hyperbole.

Now to be fair the word fan originates from the word fanatic. You can always hope for the best and imaginate that one or two players could change the dynamics of this team. If we had finished in the upper top six of the conference last season then the addition of the players coming in would offer hope to actually compete for a top three spot. Given the results of last season we will be damn lucky to squeak into the top eight and hope to be on the bubble at tournament time or a play in game. That’s reality. Fran talking defense is Fran talking hyperbole.

Also keep in mind that when players become tired they will fall back into natural tendency’s. They will quit moving their feet and start reaching and this will happen at the end of games against legitimate competition. All we can hope is that in those cases we have enough of a lead to carry the team to victory.

You know I was happy to hear that Cook is coming back but he cannot do it all alone. Others will have to step up B1G time. That’s basketball chomp chomp chomp.

Last edited:
I don’t think they are lying, I think they’ve worked on it, I think it’s been a point of emphasis. I’ll beleive it works when I see it. Talk is talk, Fran and the program have lost that benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to preseason hyperbole

Well of course it's going to work to some extent. There's a very good chance it wont work good enough to get us into the tournament. But if a team goes from hardly ever focusing on defense to making it a point of emphasis, there is 100% chance it will make some sort of difference.

Well of course it's going to work to some extent. There's a very good chance it wont work good enough to get us into the tournament. But if a team goes from hardly ever focusing on defense to making it a point of emphasis, there is 100% chance it will make some sort of difference.

Again, my comments are "is it a big enough difference to get them into the dance" - cause that's what this year is - Dance or bust or I am gonna be a Fran boo bird from here on out. He has the talent and no excuses not to be able to make the field.

Again, my comments are "is it a big enough difference to get them into the dance" - cause that's what this year is - Dance or bust or I am gonna be a Fran boo bird from here on out. He has the talent and no excuses not to be able to make the field.

Well you originally said you will believe it when you see it, but no one ever even said they improved enough to make the dance. All Fran said was they have been working on it a lot more and have improved . I have no problem believing that statement before I see it because i doubt his lying and I'm pretty sure D1 athletes get better at something they practice. You are trying to be negative and you suck at it. :)

Well you originally said you will believe it when you see it, but no one ever even said they improved enough to make the dance. All Fran said was they have been working on it a lot more and have improved . I have no problem believing that statement before I see it because i doubt his lying and I'm pretty sure D1 athletes get better at something they practice. You are trying to be negative and you suck at it. :)

Well, I do suck at it. But honestly, if it's not good enough to get them to the dance, than they didn't work hard enough at it.