McCarney a candidate at Minnesota?

SwirlinLingerie

After Brewster gets fired, do you think McCarney will receive any consideration from the Gophers?

A year or two ago I'd say no, but circumstances work in McCarney's favor now. After the debacle of hiring a tight ends coach, the U might be less interested in hitting a home run and more content to hire a competent guy with head coaching experience and track record in turning around a program.

Minnesota could do worse. McCarney could probably do a decent job keeping more of the in-state kids, as well as picking off more of the Dakota kids and maybe, just maybe, steal a player out of Iowa once in while. I wonder if he could also get some of the leftovers in Florida now that he's been in that state for awhile.

He also has pretty good connections, and unlike Brewster, could hire a solid staff and build some stability and continuity.

It probably wouldn't break the bank to hire him, and with Minnesota still paying off Mason's last year, you figure they aren't gonna ante up for an elite name. I'm guessing the rivalry games (Iowa and Wisconsin) would suddenly get a lot more interesting for the Gophers with McCarney in charge.

I think it makes a lot of sense and would be a solid hire...which is exactly why the Goofers probably won't give it any consideration.

Get real! They're Minnesota, dammit! They're going to be able to land a Meyer or a Saban with little to no effort! So yeah, Mac might wind up there...when Urban comes "home"...

I think the gophers would be lucky to get McCarney, but why would he go to them. He can get a much better position than that. Defensive Coordinator for Iowa perhaps.

i think mac learned from the ISU situation, he won't be going to a huge rebuilding project again, IMO. we'll see though. they could certainly do worse by keeping brewster.

NEVER! Mac's got it made in Florida. Given his age, I think head coaching is not something he'll likely consider.

If I had to bet, Coach Mac is done with the HC gig. He is already a multi-millionaire (unless he blew his cash) and is making bank right now. He won't get fired and can coach as long as he wants. Florida is a good place to retire and he will have all the contacts in the world at Gainsville. That is easy street my friends... What more do you need? The power that comes from being a HC? That would be nice, but he has been there and done that. He took ISU to their highest level ever and what did it get him?

If Mac takes another HC job, it will be this year or the next. He is approaching the age where it isn't feasible to continue.

So if he does take another HC position, it will be in the southeast. With his Florida & SEC recruiting contacts he would be wise to take a position in the SEC, ACC or maybe the Big East and doubtful, but possible, the Lil 12.

So let me get this straight - Minnesota fired a guy who basically went 7-4 every year and went to bowl games like the Music City Bowl.
2. Hired a guy with no head coaching experience, which has been an abysmal failure.
3. Now they want to hire a guy whose best teams at Iowa State finished around 7-4 and went to mid/lower tier bowl games?

McCarney would do some damage at Minnesota in my opinion. He'd definitely have some recruiting lines open in the state of Florida, and would be able to rekindle a lot of his recruiting contacts he built in the Midwest while at Iowa State.

Plus I'm sure he's only become a better coach working with Urban Meyer and in the SEC.

McCarney would do some damage at Minnesota in my opinion. He'd definitely have some recruiting lines open in the state of Florida, and would be able to rekindle a lot of his recruiting contacts he built in the Midwest while at Iowa State.

Plus I'm sure he's only become a better coach working with Urban Meyer and in the SEC.
I agree. He would be a great hire for the rodents. That is exactly why they won't hire him.

He took ISU to their highest level ever and what did it get him?

I don't think there is a more frequently perpetuated myth than this one by Iowa fans.

Seriously though, good for Mac if he gets the job. How old is he now though? Has to be in his 60s doesn't he?

I don't think there is a more frequently perpetuated myth than this one by Iowa fans.

Seriously though, good for Mac if he gets the job. How old is he now though? Has to be in his 60s doesn't he?

Such a statement would indicate that a higher mark has occurred, and that you know what it is.

So enlighten us.

Latest posts