McCaffrey System Question

sodakhawkeye

Now I am quite a fan of what i have been seeing early in the year, but am not familiar with Coach before his arrival at Iowa.

I saw a bunch of 1 pass threes in transtion today from many different people. Is this normal in the Coach system or he is giving kids more freedom early to establish this pace and try and get some confidence rolling?

The set for the lob to May against the zone was a thing of beauty.

Finally, cant wait for this game to slow down for these guys on the mental side of the game. just real happy with the progress so far.

Couldn't agree more...it looks like bball unlike the painful Reign of Terror under Lickliter.

The word "System" makes me shutter.

McCaffery basically said that if the guys have a good look, to take it. That's what we will see for a while with this team.

Fran gives his players room to play without the fear of being benched for a minor violation of his game plan. What is more important here is the fact that the freshman and sophs have taken over the team. Basabe, May, Cartwright, McCabe and Marble shot a combined 50% from the field, they had 86% of the scoring, 68% of the rebounds, 100% of the steals and 66% of the assists. That bodes well for the future. If they would have just been average coming out of halftime, they shot 21% over an 10 minutes stretch, they would have won the game by 10. Wake came out and shot 80% in that same stretch to go up by 10. Once the young Hawks got back to the basics they closed the gap and were in a position to win the game had Terrell not hit that 30 ft'er. These laps will go away once they have a little more experience and they will be very competitive. The other thing that stood out last night was the assistant coaches were actively coaching the whole game. Its like having 3 head coaches with the experience his assistance have. Like what I see.

I just don't see the wisdom in turning down an open/good look unless you're playing to slow down the game.

It's really too bad that these guys couldn't pull out the win. It would have been a good confidence booster. Wake was taking and making bad shots. It was some bad luck.

The word "System" makes me shutter.

McCaffery basically said that if the guys have a good look, to take it. That's what we will see for a while with this team.

On that note I remember him stating that he also hates "system" as a way of coaching. He is much more interested in having plays that he can install at any point but letting the game dictate how it is played. It's such a sharp contrast to last year it's going to take time but I'm very encouraged by how we've been competing given our youth and the recent turnover.

Latest posts