McCaffrey Post game interview

longtimer

Lasted about 30 seconds. Said it wasn't his team that caused the Michigan runaway. Not a real classy interview by McCaffrey.
Hopefully not a sign of things to come. The officials were not the difference in this game

You beat me to it he said "the reason we lost had nothing to do with our team"
Very childish attitude regardless.
some disturbing facts. We were out rebounded by 9. Conner had the most rebounds!
JB the point guard did not have a single assist!!
You certainly can't improve if you can't be self critical and realize there is a lot of room for improvement. Fran is implying they lost because officiating. That will not help your team get better. They lost because they played poor D in the second half, rushed several shots and played a great team. Michigan like many team are playing up close on the 3 point line, you need to get action towards the hoop. I would have let JT drive a little to at least break down their D.

Contrast this to Izzo's post game interview after loosing to Iowa he said "this loss is entirely on me" "we were not adequately prepared "

Last edited:
Lasted about 30 seconds. Said it wasn't his team that caused the Michigan runaway. Not a real classy interview by McCaffrey.
Hopefully not a sign of things to come. The officials were not the difference in this game
I didn't get to see it. You are correct the officials were certainly not the difference! It's already hard enough to win in this league and all Fran is doing is making it more difficult! If he didn't think he got the calls in this game wait until next game after the refs read about this!

One of the worst officiated games I’ve watched. They called an over the back foul against Garza, literally against him, claiming he’s some how carrying this guy on his back. The dude had his arms around him. Iowa faced an uphill battle before they got off the bus tonight. First half, they battled, 2nd half, wilted. They gotta recover quick. Get one this week.

We were up early in the 2nd can't lose two of your top 7 rotation guys and beat the best team in the conference on the road. The subs (while young and not their fault) showed their lack of seasoning losing players in back cuts not rotating on D fast enough, trying to dribble around and 1 on 1 it vs moving the ball. Again they just haven't had enough experience to make up for the difference vs the conference's top team. Garza was gassed and if we've lost Nunge for the season we're going to need some serious breaks to make it to the F4

One of the worst officiated games I’ve watched. They called an over the back foul against Garza, literally against him, claiming he’s some how carrying this guy on his back. The dude had his arms around him. Iowa faced an uphill battle before they got off the bus tonight. First half, they battled, 2nd half, wilted. They gotta recover quick. Get one this week.
Come on, let’s not go there. Iowa got their ass kicked plain and simple. Let’s not act like Clown fans here.

Come on, let’s not go there. Iowa got their ass kicked plain and simple. Let’s not act like Clown fans here.
Officials were terrible. But they could have been outstanding and we lose. Our small chance went to zero when Nunge and Connor went down. Not crushed since this looked like a probable loss going in...Indiana with more talent IMO.

Basketball officials are by far the most influential factor in any sport. The way they call the game controls the game.

I thought the game officials allowed way too much contact, especially against Garza. I get that they wanted to let the titans clash in the post, but Michigan's bigs were hitting Garza while shooting, those needed to be called. It changed the complexion of the entire game as Garza could not score through that sort of contact and Iowa's offense came to a sputtering halt without it.

My only solace is that there is no way NCAA tourney refs will let that sort of contact go.

It was a Big 10 slugfest, and Iowa is a finesse team. Not our night.

Basketball officials are by far the most influential factor in any sport. The way they call the game controls the game.
Basketball’s a great sport, but I’m sorry, the fouling rules are fucking ridiculous.

On every play you could call a charge or block. There’s nothing concrete in the rules about exact specifics, and it’s de facto written into the rules that fouls committed on, or committed by a ball handler are left 100% up to the individual interpretation of the officials. In other words, it’s an opinion call.

Baseball and football, for instance, aren’t that way. Every foul or penalty is described in great detail and boundaries of what constitutes legal/illegal are described to a T. There might be some issue with an umpire or referee’s judgement no doubt, but at least the rules are unvague and there’s a standard to judge against.

Basketball’s personal foul rules are totally vague, and in the vast majority of (dare I say all) cases you could make an argument for a foul on either team on every play. Add humans in the mix making the split second decision and you have serious problems.

Speaking of childish, Fran didn't have any starters on the court for the last 3:20. Somebody should remind Fran of the last phrase in our Fight song.

I thought the game officials allowed way too much contact, especially against Garza. I get that they wanted to let the titans clash in the post, but Michigan's bigs were hitting Garza while shooting, those needed to be called. It changed the complexion of the entire game as Garza could not score through that sort of contact and Iowa's offense came to a sputtering halt without it.

My only solace is that there is no way NCAA tourney refs will let that sort of contact go.

It was a Big 10 slugfest, and Iowa is a finesse team. Not our night.
On top of that with Nunge out Garza was gassed. Usually he starts to dominate late in the second when his conditioning kicks in but the two he was going against were a lot fresher than him.

Terrible offensive game plan by Fran. They are quicker on the perimeter and they have guys that can take away the threes. Go big with Weiskamp at the 2 and Connor at the 1. Post them against Smith and Brooks. Force them to change their lineup...by bringing in size to combat that. Then you run your normal stuff and Weiskamp is going by people.

Fran got outcoached again. Against Penn State, he left Weiskamp in the entire first half...and he was gassed...and scored zero points. He had nothing left after playing 7 minutes in the second half...and turned it over 3 times after that. He was done. Penn State makes you work to get anything. You can't not take him out. Flat out STUPID.

Fran's postgame press conference was about four minutes long, FWIW.

It's posted on the site along with interviews with Luka and Bohannon.

Terrible offensive game plan by Fran. They are quicker on the perimeter and they have guys that can take away the threes. Go big with Weiskamp at the 2 and Connor at the 1. Post them against Smith and Brooks. Force them to change their lineup...by bringing in size to combat that. Then you run your normal stuff and Weiskamp is going by people.

Fran got outcoached again. Against Penn State, he left Weiskamp in the entire first half...and he was gassed...and scored zero points. He had nothing left after playing 7 minutes in the second half...and turned it over 3 times after that. He was done. Penn State makes you work to get anything. You can't not take him out. Flat out STUPID.
Most teams we face will be quicker on the perimeter than us. Fran most likely not going to change rotations up much at this point in the season. With Nunge possibly out, we are likely to see more Murray and PMac when Garza needs a break. Ohio St. will give us some of the same problems we saw with Michigan. Good shooting, solid big down low, solid bench. Didn't see much of Sparty over Buckeyes but I'm guessing Lankford, Henry, and Watts attacked them off the dribble. Whose Fran got to do that? If he has that guy Fran should unleash him.

Latest posts