McCaffery Statement on Brust

Fran may start with a team worse than Lick did; but I'll bet he'll recruit guys to build on than are better than Lick even approached. And he will probably relate to the players that he has and coach them better as well- hell a bad Jr High coach could do that.

If he does not want to be at the University of Iowa today, then why should we recruit him for tomorrow?

He gone.

I agree with you whole heartedly but you cant knock Kelly and Smith. Jake's mom passed away and Tyler's dad's health was decreasing.

I can tell you that if Steve Alford had somehow stayed at Iowa 1 more year Tyler Smith would have stayed too, and Jake Kelley leaving to be closer to family, that was PC for I can't stand Lickliter and his system.
Seriously do you really believe either one of these guys are gonna come out and tell exactly why they left?
Something about burning bridges, and you never know when your gonna run into or need something from someone, especially after you bash them publicly.

I can tell you that if Steve Alford had somehow stayed at Iowa 1 more year Tyler Smith would have stayed too, and Jake Kelley leaving to be closer to family, that was PC for I can't stand Lickliter and his system.
Seriously do you really believe either one of these guys are gonna come out and tell exactly why they left?
Something about burning bridges, and you never know when your gonna run into or need something from someone, especially after you bash them publicly.

I believe that Jon has said before that Smith was leaving regardless. I personally believe Kelly. He was THAT close to transferring the year before. You really think he just immediately got over everything he was struggling with because he decided to stay? I believe he was still struggling with his mom's passing, and Lickliter apparently didn't have a relationship with players off the court, which was likely what Kelly needed.

If he does not want to be at the University of Iowa today, then why should we recruit him for tomorrow?

He gone.

Because he may find that we're still the right fit for him. But he won't know that until he weighs his other options again, which he can't do without getting his release (legally, anyway). This attitude is pretty annoying. The kid is being smart, and if he finds that this is still the right place for him, I'll certainly be glad to have him. If not, then best of luck to him elsewhere.

To those that think Coach Fran and the Hawkeyes will win 10 or less next year. I say...no way. I think Coach Fran would win 13-15 games with the team we have NOW. Give him a chance.

How many programs make such a radical shift in style from one year to the next? We played some of the slowest basketball imagineable last year. Now we've got a guy who likes to get out, run and gun. I would imagine that THAT dramatic of a change will run off a few more guys than usual.

Fran is NOT a run and gun style of team. He will if he has to, but he'll slow it down like Lick did too. When you're as talented as Cody Larson, you don't go to a slow-the-tempo-way-down program and decide a faster pace temp is not for you. I don't buy it at all.

Fran is NOT a run and gun style of team. He will if he has to, but he'll slow it down like Lick did too. When you're as talented as Cody Larson, you don't go to a slow-the-tempo-way-down program and decide a faster pace temp is not for you. I don't buy it at all.
Me either. Athletic players like him like to score and hit the fast break and dunk it or alley-oops.

I wouldn't expect them to be sold on day 1 with a new coach. This is the 2nd biggest decision that they'll probably ever make, so I respect them for taking the right steps to help ensure they make the right one. Trusting yourself to a guy you just met would be kind of a gamble if you're in their shoes.

Me either. Athletic players like him like to score and hit the fast break and dunk it or alley-oops.

It just makes we wonder what types of recruiting tactics Lick had????? From what I've heard, Lick wasn't reallly even a part of the recruiting process, but rather his assistance. With the issues Tucker had, maybe Lick wasn't as squeaky clean as we all thought.

It shouldn't. When we make a change.....any change the first step is usually a step backwards. As a fan base we really need to learn to accept that. I have a feeling that no matter what Ben's decision, things will move forward from here a little more quickly than we have been used to.

Oh Train Master, thank you for your words of wisdom. Sorry to be ageist, but I am betting this comes from decades of experience. It kills me that we are losing AF, still hate to think about Jake Kelly blossoming and leaving, just like AF. But they are kids and need to do their thing. We have failed in the last decade to build a program that breeds loyalty. But getting back there is doable very quickly. The success on the court will come along at the same time.

This is exactly what happened to Lick when he took over for Alford. Everyone kept making excuses saying it was the last guy's fault. Bottom line, Fran could be starting with a team FAR, FAR worse than Lick ever had. Player deflections of this magnitude don't happen just because of a change. Does it happen at this rate for other programs? I don't think so.

There's not a whole lot to dislike about Fran in a couple of weeks... One factor in kids not wanting to be here could be the toxic environment that they see from the fans. They probably pay more attention to these boards than anyone- and it would be easy to see them disheartened by the way many throw players and coaches under the bus.

I disagree. The fact that both players are open to being re-recruited implies to me that Fran has not tried overly hard to persuade them to stay signed. What I mean is, if both of these players have expressed doubts, (which they obviously have) then he has probably told them that he wants them to be comfortable in their decision and fully committed. If that means opening up your recruitment, so be it.

And maybe that assumption is just me with my blinders on, but if it is the case, I have a lot of respect for it. It would definitely be putting the interest of the student athlete ahead of his own and reminds me of something a certain football coach would do.

The best way in the world to close any sale is to make your pitch, and then tell them to decide what's best for them. Either you get the deal, or look for a better thing to sell.

The best way in the world to close any sale is to make your pitch, and then tell them to decide what's best for them. Either you get the deal, or look for a better thing to sell.

Right, because Duke should get a "better thing to sell", all because they didn't get Harrison Barnes.

Nevermind that they landed Kyrie Irving, the #2 PG and #6 overall prospect in the country.

Not every sales pitch gets bought by every potential recruit. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Right, because Kansas should get a "better thing to sell", all because they didn't get Harrison Barnes.

Nevermind that they landed Kyrie Irving, the #2 PG and #6 overall prospect in the country.

Not every sales pitch gets bought by every potential recruit. That's just the way it is.

No, you are right about sales pitches. But its the percentages that matter over the long haul. I'd still rather acknowledge that its the kid's call, and we will move forward with or without them.

One thing that is in our favor is that Brust and Marble are still communicating with each other as late as an hour ago...it is my hope that Marble is selling Ben on coming back to the Hawks and not the other way around...time will tell.

(Yes, this is first hand information...)

One thing that is in our favor is that Brust and Marble are still communicating with each other as late as an hour ago...it is my hope that Marble is selling Ben on coming back to the Hawks and not the other way around...time will tell.

(Yes, this is first hand information...)
Are you Ben or Roy Jr.?

Latest posts