McCaffery family has a pow-wow on getting hassled on social media

Have not watched this yet, but again....this family...program is obsessed over social media criticism. They need to get off it if they can't handle it.

"diplamacy" lol

Man what a bunch of cry babies here....good golly. Getting into the meat of this discussion now. Calling Iowa fans basically "Cheeto eaters" and "couch potatoes." Good lord.

Other adjectives out of Mom and the Boys to describe Iowa fan base (some)

"stupid"
"dumb"
"ignorant"

Her admitting she is typing these things back to fans on social media.

Margarett basically says, "You should be smart to have a platform to speak on the team." She is a lawyer, I'm sure she is fully aware of the 1st Amendment.

I would like someone to ask Margarett in the Iowa Media how do you explain no Big 10 titles or Sweet 16 runs or longer in the 12 years your husband has been here?

I agree direct attacks on twitter calling names with zero substance is unfortunate out of fans. But, how does she account for the constructive criticism?

Lastly, it would seem when they finished talking about their social media woes, Margarett (Connor) seem to allude to teams can't get over the hump because players leave for the NBA to early. I do think there is a point to that for sure.

However, if that is an excuse for her husband, I think she may only be able to use that for this year (not having Garza or JW back). Garza would have given us more in the post.....but he also may have sucked away points from the other players.

I still say, it really comes back to guard play...and a lack of a post presence for the team's deficiencies this year (and guard play throughout Fran's tenure).

No matter what some say, you don't attack your own fan base. This was not a good look imho.

Last edited:
I know very little about Mrs. McCaffrey, but the vitriol on this forum about this is both embarrassing and out of bounds. Get a life guys! You know who you are.........

The thing I'd take issue with you is that Twitter, along with Facebook, Instagram, and all the other big social media, is NOT subject to the First Amendment. If it was, no one would be banned.
Because it is a private service.....but they can't be throw in jail from the site (maybe civil stuff like slander though...but that would have to go through the courts....I suppose threats of violence to could be investigated on).
Good observation though.

Last edited:
One other thing I forgot to mention from the podcast is that Mrs. McCaffery also said that she sometimes wishes her boys are not playing for Iowa. Also, make of that what you will. Definitely bitterness out of those three on this podcast.

"diplamacy" lol

Man what a bunch of cry babies here....good golly. Getting into the meat of this discussion now. Calling Iowa fans basically "Cheeto eaters" and "couch potatoes." Good lord.

Other adjectives out of Mom and the Boys to describe Iowa fan base (some)

"stupid"
"dumb"
"ignorant"

Her admitting she is typing these things back to fans on social media.

Margarett basically says, "You should be smart to have a platform to speak on the team." She is a lawyer, I'm sure she is fully aware of the 1st Amendment.

I would like someone to ask Margarett in the Iowa Media how do you explain no Big 10 titles or Sweet 16 runs or longer in the 12 years your husband has been here?

I agree direct attacks on twitter calling names with zero substance is unfortunate out of fans. But, how does she account for the constructive criticism?

Lastly, it would seem when they finished talking about their social media woes, Margarett (Connor) seem to allude to teams can't get over the hump because players leave for the NBA to early. I do think there is a point to that for sure.

However, if that is an excuse for her husband, I think she may only be able to use that for this year (not having Garza or JW back). Garza would have given us more in the post.....but he also may have sucked away points from the other players.

I still say, it really comes back to guard play...and a lack of a post presence for the team's deficiencies this year (and guard play throughout Fran's tenure).

No matter what some say, you don't attack your own fan base. This was not a good look imho.
There are stupid and dumb and ignorant fans in this fanbase. That's just fact! The iowa basketball site on facebook is laced with idiots.

I also thought it was kinds dumb to say those things. But then I think, she's a mom so it would be extremely hard not to say something.

Have not watched this yet, but again....this family...program is obsessed over social media criticism. They need to get off it if they can't handle it.
Have you watched it? I did a couple days ago.

Your hate for the Hawkeyes programs is pretty fuckin incredible. All it was was a mom and her kids saying it sucks that people shit on players personally in Twitter.

@InGoodCo made a damn good point that you just do nothing but shit on the Hawks in every facet of the sports scene. Maybe you should either get a different team or go subscribe to HR.

One other thing I forgot to mention from the podcast is that Mrs. McCaffery also said that she sometimes wishes her boys are not playing for Iowa. Also, make of that what you will. Definitely bitterness out of those three on this podcast.
You took that 100% out of context. She said that because it’s tough to have kids who play for her husband. It had nothing to fucking do with not liking Iowa city or the Hawkeyes.

Seriously, if you’re just gonna do nothing but shitposting the Hawks go do it somewhere else. Every single post or thread by you is nothing but how they suck.

You need a different team or a different board.

You live in CR, do you ever attend a game or support the Hawks at all? I mean, I'm not some big donor by any stretch, but do you do anything to support the Hawks except sit at home and complain about every sport and fetishize over Mr Tom? You say Carver is a funeral home...have you ever been there? In the last 10 years? 20 years? I'm admittedly one of the first people to criticize CHA as a basketball venue, but I actually go in the building, and I live 5 1/2 hours away. You ever been to Kinnick?

You're like @Stanzi. You love to tell everyone how much you love Iowa sports, but in reality you hate 'em and like it when they lose so you can go off on how much they suck.

It’s not too often that I agree with Fryowa but those two posts deserve an Amen. I listened to the entire show and couldn’t find any of the negative things attributed to her. She does think there are a lot of ignorant people on social media. Hard to disagree with that.

"pow wow" is a microaggressive term. Modz, please change the thread title or move to the free for all board. Thx.

I watched it and CONTEXT is EVERYTHING. I didn't get those negative vibes at all. That's pretty much the first time I've heard her speak in any kind of extended way so my 2 cents on her is almost 100% from that. But she sounds like a protective loving momma bear with a husband that coaches. She played the game at a high level. She's smart and understands the ins and outs of the sport better than us keyboard warriors could ever hope to.

They are human and since they choose to be on social media they are seeing all that goes into that. There is a shit ton of crap coming from trolls non stop on there. Is what it is. The fine line is when taking about legit criticism and to what point is that an issue.

I think they take that part of it fine in that Fran is a D1 HC. His whole existence is to be giving out constructive criticism. That's basically what coaching is. You think he's a soft parent to his boys yet a hard ass to his other players? That'd be so out of character for him I can't see that being the case. With 2 boys on the team if that was the case everyone around them would see right through it and it'd have been brought up by now as long as CM has been there. His boys are both great students and good kids from everything I've ever read or heard about them. Everything else is just noise to me. I have no problem with her with Fran or the boys going about how they've been doing things.

Heck that interview showed how tight knit of a family that they are if you watched the whole thing. Got to learn about her a lot. I thought it was hilarious when she played the Mom card on them with a "cause I said so" I got a laugh out of it anyway.