McCafferey says non-conference schedule to improve next year

We are in the Cancun tourny next november.

At Moon Palace, too ...

Cancun is great but Moon Palace takes it to incredible (stayed there a couple years ago and the place is truly magnificent). Add in some Hawkeye event and you're approaching pure awesome.

I'm checking into options right now!

You don't need to schedule a bunch of really good teams as much as eliminate teams without a pulse.

Even with Iowa's weak OOC SOS this year, 'bracketologists' still haven't written Iowa off yet...or hadn't prior to the NW loss.

That is due to how strong the Big Ten is this year, a league Tom Izzo says is as good as it has ever been in his time as an HC or assistant...that's quite a span.

I think spice it up a bit next year with some power conference teams, but not favorites. This program is not yet to the point where it needs to load up OOC..they still have to learn to win, which means consistent effort from night to night.

If we are going to play anyone, I would hope that they would be better than the teams we played this year. That way even when you lose it doesn't seem as bad.

if he goes middle of the pack in those conferences would be a big upgrade, the teams that are 4-7 would make for good competition for fans to go to the games, as for scheduling the flopping panthers of UNI, i could go without seeing that again.
any idea who else is in that Cancun Tourney?

I think they should ease into it next year. Schedule some good mid-majors or lower tier BCS schools and then the following year add some UCLA's, KU's, UConn's, etc...the last thing they need to do is destroy the kids confidence.

Even with Iowa's weak OOC SOS this year, 'bracketologists' still haven't written Iowa off yet...or hadn't prior to the NW loss.

That is due to how strong the Big Ten is this year, a league Tom Izzo says is as good as it has ever been in his time as an HC or assistant...that's quite a span.

I think spice it up a bit next year with some power conference teams, but not favorites. This program is not yet to the point where it needs to load up OOC..they still have to learn to win, which means consistent effort from night to night.

I have yet to hear any "bracketologist" mention Iowa in any shape or form for an NCAA tournament bid. Sure Iowa hasn't been written off yet- because no one has said a single word about them! They'd pretty much have to win out the regular season to even have a chance.

if he goes middle of the pack in those conferences would be a big upgrade, the teams that are 4-7 would make for good competition for fans to go to the games, as for scheduling the flopping panthers of UNI, i could go without seeing that again.
any idea who else is in that Cancun Tourney?

All their website shows is results from this years tourney. Nothing on there that I can see that says next years participating teams.

I think they should ease into it next year. Schedule some good mid-majors or lower tier BCS schools and then the following year add some UCLA's, KU's, UConn's, etc...the last thing they need to do is destroy the kids confidence.

Exactly. Next season, we are going to have 8 players who are under-classmen, and 4 upper-classmen who are in the regular rotation.

Do we really want them to get used to losing?

We need patsies, and lost of them.

The schedule can improve without going overboard. If we want an SEC team, schedule South Carolina, not Kentucky. Big East?: Seton Hall, not Syracuse.

You get the point. If we play teams from other top conferences that are perceived as at the same level we are then it helps our RPI and the perception that our non-con is soft.

i guess getting exposure in Californis would be a good thing, not sure how good USC, Cal or UCLA are but the positive far out way the negatives, just as playing teams like BC or other BE teams open the team to exposure to recruits on the east coast, as announcers have said Fran coaches a uptempo game which is attractive to kids so why not let them get a up close look at his style on both sides of the country, AND it also opens the door to something other than ESPNU or 3, baby steps folks baby steps.
and i like the idea of trading UNI for UCLA any day of the week

Am I the only who thinks we don't need a tougher schedule yet? I am skeptical we finish this season over .500. Let's accomplish that, then worry about bolstering our SOS.

No, you are not the only one. Iowa needs to learn how to walk before they run and right now they are still crawling.

Very true, but I'd still rather see some more other power conference teams on our schedule. I'm not talking Kansas, UCLA, Florida, etc. but maybe teams like Tennessee, Oregon, etc. At least until we become a legit NCAA Team again and can start thinking about taking on more teams near the top of those conferences.

Seeing a schedule full of teams like Chicago St., Brown and Central Arkansas makes for a pretty dull non-conference.

Those kinds of games are never going away even if Iowa does start a series with an Pac14 or Big12 opponent. What you might not see is a game against Creighton. Out of your 9 to 13 OOC games you can schedule Iowa is already locked into home/away games against UNI, ISU, Drake, and an ACC opponent.

One opponent I wish they would check into is DePaul. They are in the Big East, not scary, and play in Chicago which might help with recruiting.

The schedule can improve without going overboard. If we want an SEC team, schedule South Carolina, not Kentucky. Big East?: Seton Hall, not Syracuse.

You get the point. If we play teams from other top conferences that are perceived as at the same level we are then it helps our RPI and the perception that our non-con is soft.

I don't care about RPI or perception, I want the young players to get used to winning.

The schedule can improve without going overboard. If we want an SEC team, schedule South Carolina, not Kentucky. Big East?: Seton Hall, not Syracuse. You get the point. If we play teams from other top conferences that are perceived as at the same level we are then it helps our RPI and the perception that our non-con is soft.
I don't care about RPI or perception, I want the young players to get used to winning.

I guess I don't see how beating Chicago State or IPFW by 30 in front of 4000 people in November helps us play in the Breslin Center in January.

I guess I don't see how beating Chicago State or IPFW by 30 in front of 4000 people in November helps us play in the Breslin Center in January.

How does getting beat by 20 by Kansas in front of 800 people in St. Thomas help us either?

I don't see getting pounded by 20-30 in the OOC helps them at all.

When you got a young team those wins against cream puffs goes a long ways to helping your confidence.

How does getting beat by 20 by Kansas in front of 800 people in St. Thomas help us either?

If you read my original post I wasn't talking about the tournaments. I was talking about scheduling regular non-conference games and I wasn't talking about scheduling teams like Kansas, it would be a team of similar ability to Iowa in the Big 12.

If you read my original post I wasn't talking about the tournaments. I was talking about scheduling regular non-conference games and I wasn't talking about scheduling teams like Kansas, it would be a team of similar ability to Iowa in the Big 12.

I get that. so let me rephrase the question. How does getting beat by Texas A&M in front of 4,000 people in November do us any good?