McCabe...

I've mocked big Zach for the last couple of years in a way that I thought was playful.

Kid's proved me an idiot. Integral part of what we are trying to do.

Fair enough. I still don't necessarily agree with this philosophy though. Where do you draw the line? Just like you said there's a lot of good shooters who aren't playing D1 there is also a ton of high effort guys who are playing D1. Effort and intensity can be a major part of a players game. Just off the top of my head... Reggie Evans wasn't the most skilled in any particular area but he's made a nice career for himself in the NBA because of his effort. Is it fair to say he isn't an NBA talent when he's proven he is? Aaron White isn't the most skilled player on the court, but he's one of the best players in the B10 because of his effort. There's a ton of players who fit this mold. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't D1 level players when in fact they have proven that they are. Some players may not be as talented as others, but if they make up for it with their effort and intensity then they deserve to be considered D1 level players because of it. Guess I just think you're kind of slighting them a bit by saying they aren't what they have proven they are.

I also like the fact he is big and physical. We are going to need that in the Big Ten, even with the rule changes. We have a lot of slender guys but he brings some good size when we need it against physical forwards.

I agree with DP5. Toughness, team-first attitude, refusing to lose are just as important athletic skills as jumping ability, speed, and other skills.
By the way, Zach was a 1st team all state Quarterback with at least one D-I offer in FB.
It's nice to see Zach get some respect for his efforts.

I said it before the season that McCabe has a chance to lead the team in 3 point shooting. So far that is holding true.

Props to him as he as obviously worked and developed on that part of his game. It's a shame some have been hard on him when he was just never put in an opportunity to succeed until now.

I said it before the season that McCabe has a chance to lead the team in 3 point shooting. So far that is holding true.

Props to him as he as obviously worked and developed on that part of his game. It's a shame some have been hard on him when he was just never put in an opportunity to succeed until now.

I'm pretty sure I had projected him in the starting line-up. That's not likely to happen but he's crucial to our success for countless reasons...most of which have been mentioned throughout this thread.

Zach had a great shooting year as a sophomore and while people were taking their frustrations out on Oglesby, Zach regressed as a shooter in a big way as a Jr, I believe he shot 44.9% as a sophomore and then dipped to 30.2%. That said, we all know he struggles on the defensive end and gets some well, dumb fouls.

The effort is always there 100%

More than anything this season, Zach has found his shot again as he was a proven shooter and it escaped him, but here is the key for him this season. Zach can play a bit out of control and with the rules as the are, he may find himself on the free throw line a lot.

I am glad he found his shot again and is a reason Iowa is destroying teams in bench scoring every game.

Zach had a great shooting year as a sophomore and while people were taking their frustrations out on Oglesby, Zach regressed as a shooter in a big way as a Jr, I believe he shot 44.9% as a sophomore and then dipped to 30.2%. That said, we all know he struggles on the defensive end and gets some well, dumb fouls.

The effort is always there 100%

More than anything this season, Zach has found his shot again as he was a proven shooter and it escaped him, but here is the key for him this season. Zach can play a bit out of control and with the rules as the are, he may find himself on the free throw line a lot.

I am glad he found his shot again and is a reason Iowa is destroying teams in bench scoring every game.

You sure got that right about the rules benefiting him. The charge they called on him at the Villanova game could have easily went his was this year. If they call a block there, his reckless abondon would have won us the game.

You sure got that right about the rules benefiting him. The charge they called on him at the Villanova game could have easily went his was this year. If they call a block there, his reckless abondon would have won us the game.

'Bull In a China Shop' works for the offense this season. However, I saw a Wisconsin player get basically tackled going to the rim at Virginia and nothing, but on the other end 'arm bar' and a foul...officiating is going to put me in my grave.

Fair enough. I still don't necessarily agree with this philosophy though. Where do you draw the line? Just like you said there's a lot of good shooters who aren't playing D1 there is also a ton of high effort guys who are playing D1. Effort and intensity can be a major part of a players game. Just off the top of my head... Reggie Evans wasn't the most skilled in any particular area but he's made a nice career for himself in the NBA because of his effort. Is it fair to say he isn't an NBA talent when he's proven he is? Aaron White isn't the most skilled player on the court, but he's one of the best players in the B10 because of his effort. There's a ton of players who fit this mold. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't D1 level players when in fact they have proven that they are. Some players may not be as talented as others, but if they make up for it with their effort and intensity then they deserve to be considered D1 level players because of it. Guess I just think you're kind of slighting them a bit by saying they aren't what they have proven they are.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

That saying is BS more often than not. Hard work beats talent when that talent is within reasonable distance of the person working hard. Hard work from a guy like McCabe isn't going to beat a lazy Anthony Davis.

That saying is BS more often than not. Hard work beats talent when that talent is within reasonable distance of the person working hard. Hard work from a guy like McCabe isn't going to beat a lazy Anthony Davis.

Agreed. Sayings like this were invented to motivate lazy people...not because they are actually true. It's like telling a person who is set in their ways that 'the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.' In no way does that define insanity, and in no way can hard work always triumph sheer talent.

While I agree with most of this, if a star player, say Marble, starts playing lazy without driving or looking for assist the rest of the team could very well follow his example.

While I agree with most of this, if a star player, say Marble, starts playing lazy without driving or looking for assist the rest of the team could very well follow his example.

That's true, but that's not really what the saying applies to.

My whole point with the whole effort vs talent thing is that it sounds to me like some of you are acting like effort isn't an attribute that's looked at during recruiting. Like coaches just look at talent and go from there. I think the amount of effort a player plays the game with is an incredibly important aspect to look at during recruiting. Maybe McCabe didn't have quite the talent as a lot of other D1 players, but when D1 coaches saw his intangibles and his effort level they knew he could contribute at this level. In my book, that makes him a D1 caliber player no matter what people say about his talent.

I think he has talent. I think he plays hard. I think the Big 10 is a perfect place for his game because he loves contact...the more the better. I will take a guy that shoots over 50% from 3 and wants to get bloody under the basket all day every day...especially in the Big 10.

The "not-skilled but gives effort" argument is stupid. You don't play at this level just because you try hard.

McCabe isn't talened? This is dumb. The guy has a high basketball IQ, a smooth stroke, and a motor. You guys are probably the same people who think Woodbury is good.

Ok, so we have went from McCabe plays above his talent level due to effort and hard work to being accused of saying he has no talent.

Perhaps I missed a post but I cannot recall anyone in this thread knocking McCabe, compliments is what I have read.