Mayweather vs Ortiz

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao will be a great fight, it would be the first PPV boxing match, now UFC, that's a different story.

Crazy ending to this fight. Can't believe there are so many people p*ssed at Mayweather, calling it a cheap shot. IMO, if you're stupid enough to drop your gloves in the middle of a round, you've earned a good cold-cocking.

I didn't get it, but followed a chat on ESPN. Heard there was an intentional headbutt that led to the controversy. I never figured Ortiz had a chance and from what it sounded like was getting beat up with counter rights. Probably got frustrated, headbutted and paid for it.

I didn't get it, but followed a chat on ESPN. Heard there was an intentional headbutt that led to the controversy. I never figured Ortiz had a chance and from what it sounded like was getting beat up with counter rights. Probably got frustrated, headbutted and paid for it.

He headbutted, and the fight was stopped briefly. He apologized once, then they touched gloves. And they Ortiz dropped his gloves again to apologize (after they were already set to go again), and Mayweather dropped him.

Mayweather is ridiculous. Whether or not the match was "back on" or not after the timeout, his opponent clearly wasn't fighting and the referee had his back turned to the action, it wasn't a legit shot to take. It was legal, but so are a lot of things that aren't okay. Also, what was up with Mayweather talking to Larry Merchant after the match? He's a disrespectful punk. I can't wait until Pac Man KOs him in the 1st someday.

Mayweather is ridiculous. Whether or not the match was "back on" or not after the timeout, his opponent clearly wasn't fighting and the referee had his back turned to the action, it wasn't a legit shot to take. It was legal, but so are a lot of things that aren't okay. Also, what was up with Mayweather talking to Larry Merchant after the match? He's a disrespectful punk. I can't wait until Pac Man KOs him in the 1st someday.

If the fight is "back on" and his opponent isn't fighting, that's not Mayweather's problem. It's not his fault that Ortiz is an idiot.

I am a Mayweather fan honestly, and what he did was legal and correct, they touched glove NUMEROUS times, it's Ortiz's fault for not protecting himself at all times. Mayweather and Larry Merchant's little "fight" was stupid and not necessary, but I don't blame Mayweather. Merchant basically called it a cheap shot right to his face, and he didn't take kindly to it.

Now, onto the Mayweather vs. Pac fight. This will be a GREAT fight, and I will guarantee that Pac will NOT KO Mayweather in the first round. I think Mayweather wins that fight too. As much as all his haters don't want to admit, he is one of the greatest fighters ever, and works his @$$ off.

Truth be told, if any other fighter had done what Mayweather had done, I probably wouldn't care. I don't like Mayweather (I don't like using the word hate, but he may be my least favorite athlete, regardless of sport), so I'm more apt to think he was doing it in a cheap/unsportsmanlike manner.

Also, a KO in the first by Pac Man is hyperbole. I hope that fight happens soon and it will be great. I would predict a Manny decision, but could see it going either way.

http://youtu.be/-J7JoqN74ho

Mayweather is an entertainer that plays the villain role brilliantly. Larry Merchant was out of line considering the fact that he's a boxing expert and he knows the rules. By the way, HBO love every last bit of it and should have no problem paying Floyd his $25 million.

Last edited:
One man realizes his mistake and apologizes. The other takes two cheap shots and is proud of his win. Doesn't apologize and then tries to fight a 90 year old announcer.

Mayweather is pure class all the way. I hope he stops hiding from pacman so he can put mayweather to sleep.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBlKQ_Moyw]50 Cent Floyd Mayweather Talk To Money On Set Of 50's [NEW 2011] - YouTube[/ame]

He headbutted, and the fight was stopped briefly. He apologized once, then they touched gloves. And they Ortiz dropped his gloves again to apologize (after they were already set to go again), and Mayweather dropped him.

It was a cheap shot, no question about it. A reason exists why you NEVER see a guy swing in that situation. Joe Cortez should also never be allowed in the ring again. Take control of the fight and pay attention Joe. Floyd would have won easily, too bad he had to go the route of a complete punk shot to close the deal. He was equally as pathetic in the post fight interview with Larry Merchant...clearly shows he knew he made a mistake and needed to take it out on an 80 year old man. The stress of avoiding Pacman is showing, greatly.

If the fight is "back on" and his opponent isn't fighting, that's not Mayweather's problem. It's not his fault that Ortiz is an idiot.

lol, classic. You dont watch much boxing, i get that. So let me guess, Emanuel Steward is wrong too?

Thanks iahawk! That was definitley a cheap shot. If the tables were reversed Mayweather would have been crying like a little girl!!

It was a cheap shot, no question about it. A reason exists why you NEVER see a guy swing in that situation. Joe Cortez should also never be allowed in the ring again. Take control of the fight and pay attention Joe. Floyd would have won easily, too bad he had to go the route of a complete punk shot to close the deal. He was equally as pathetic in the post fight interview with Larry Merchant...clearly shows he knew he made a mistake and needed to take it out on an 80 year old man. The stress of avoiding Pacman is showing, greatly.

I'll admit I don't watch boxing, and I won't profess to know how classy Mayweather is or isn't.

But seriously, Ortiz already apologized before the fight was restarted, and they also touched gloves before it was restarted. Why keep trying to hug Mayweather and keep apologizing? What did Ortiz think he needed to do, give Mayweather a hand job to make things right?

I won't pretend that Mayweather was classy in victory. Whether or not it was a cheap shot, it was still a cheap knockout (in the sense that ISU's touchdown last year was cheap, meaningless). Not much to brag about. But I don't see why he should stop fighting because Ortiz is an idiot. Ortiz was already getting his a** kicked, and if you ask me it looked more like he kept up the apology act, relying on the apparent code of boxing, to get a breather.

Latest posts