Mayweather vs Ortiz

I'll admit I don't watch boxing, and I won't profess to know how classy Mayweather is or isn't.

But seriously, Ortiz already apologized before the fight was restarted, and they also touched gloves before it was restarted. Why keep trying to hug Mayweather and keep apologizing? What did Ortiz think he needed to do, give Mayweather a hand job to make things right?

I won't pretend that Mayweather was classy in victory. Whether or not it was a cheap shot, it was still a cheap knockout (in the sense that ISU's touchdown last year was cheap, meaningless). Not much to brag about. But I don't see why he should stop fighting because Ortiz is an idiot. Ortiz was already getting his a** kicked, and if you ask me it looked more like he kept up the apology act, relying on the apparent code of boxing, to get a breather.

No question Ortiz is not a smart little fella. I do not know what he wanted to do but seemed hugging it out was on his mind, My issue is Mayweather knows better. I mean come on, it was legal (no question about it) but it is also not the way for a great fighter to win. No doubt in my mind Floyd threw the punch full well knowing Ortiz was not ready. Bush league and did not need to do it to win. Maybe the bigger issue is Joe Cortez, completely not in control of the ring. Check out the look on his face after Floyd connected, he might have soiled himself.

Floyd did not help himself in the post fight interview either. Boxing seems to find a way to look dumb. Overall that is probably my frustration, a once great sport 10-15 years ago seems to be full of crazy and pathetic endings that are controversial. I'd much rather have some better than average fighters like Ward/Gatti fight to the end like true champions with class and respect than see one of the best ever win on a cheap shot just because it was legal.

Oh well!

I watch lots of boxing, (it's the only reason I have HBO) I have now seen the end. Floyd never once looked at "Fair but Firm". So the whole thing about he knew Cortez wasn't watching is pointless. Besides Cortez said "let's go" and moved his hands in the motion to restart the fight. You can tell Mayweather wanted nothing to do with the first embrace, he obliged, Ortiz went to do it again, Mayweather saw the opening and took it. The lunging headbutt is what everyone should be ****** about, taking a point away will never make up for the damage a headbutt can cause. I consider the first punch pay back. There was a definite pause between the first and second punch. Put your damn hands up Ortiz. I'm hispanic and I'm taking a lot of crap from friends and family, but I call it like I see it.

No question Ortiz is not a smart little fella. I do not know what he wanted to do but seemed hugging it out was on his mind, My issue is Mayweather knows better. I mean come on, it was legal (no question about it) but it is also not the way for a great fighter to win. No doubt in my mind Floyd threw the punch full well knowing Ortiz was not ready. Bush league and did not need to do it to win. Maybe the bigger issue is Joe Cortez, completely not in control of the ring. Check out the look on his face after Floyd connected, he might have soiled himself.

Floyd did not help himself in the post fight interview either. Boxing seems to find a way to look dumb. Overall that is probably my frustration, a once great sport 10-15 years ago seems to be full of crazy and pathetic endings that are controversial. I'd much rather have some better than average fighters like Ward/Gatti fight to the end like true champions with class and respect than see one of the best ever win on a cheap shot just because it was legal.

Oh well!

Lampley agrees with you 20. Listen to what he says. Link with KO below and Lampley's comments at the end of this video. What Ortiz did was weak, but So was Mayweather KO, that was very weak as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M45yKctFtA]Mayweather KO's Ortiz in controversial finish ? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Fight was restarted, Ortiz tried to hug some more then decided not to defend himself. 100% Ortiz' fault, Mayweather would have been stupid to not go after an opponent with their gloves down, it's not like he hit him when the fight was stopped.

Latest posts