Maybe now we can start focusing on making the NCAAs or making free thows..........

HaydenHawk56

Baby Steps and it is still progressing forward. It really sucks and we wanted more, but we have to face the fact this program has not been good for a long while. Even great Iowa teams struggled and did not win the conference (Davis's first team).

This team is still not really ready for the big stage. MSU has been there before, just like Michigan last year. They have mental toughness and tough players. We have a lot of good things, but are still missing things.

Looking more like a competitive team in the mold of an average Mr. Davis team....which is still light years ahead of Lick ball.

Re: Maybe now we can start focusing on making the NCAAs or making free thows.........

I only buy this to a point. There is absolutely no excuse for all the missed free throws in front of the home folks. Despite the field goal woes, we win this game if we make what we are supposed to make. At their root, most of these guys are supposed to be pretty good from the line.

Tournament-tested or not, if you can't hit those uncontested 15-foot shots you have ten seconds to shoot, you aren't going very far on any stage.

Re: Maybe now we can start focusing on making the NCAAs or making free thows.........

We could complain about the FT disparity, 43 to 20. If the refs wouldn't of put us on the line so much we could of made some buckets.

We could complain about the FT disparity, 43 to 20. If the refs wouldn't of put us on the line so much we could of made some buckets.

Apparently that was Sparty's plan

I only buy this to a point. There is absolutely no excuse for all the missed free throws in front of the home folks. Despite the field goal woes, we win this game if we make what we are supposed to make. At their root, most of these guys are supposed to be pretty good from the line.

Tournament-tested or not, if you can't hit those uncontested 15-foot shots you have ten seconds to shoot, you aren't going very far on any stage.

Don't get me wrong, it is without a doubt sick to miss that many free throws and fgs in a game like. However, we did, and at some point in your record reflects who you are.

This team (outside of the OSU game) for whatever reason, can't seem to seal the deal in big games. It really hurts because we at hawkeye nation are so hungry for a regular season title and this has been are best team in years to attempt to do it. But, alas we are just going to have to keep waiting.

We are a 3rd, 4th, or 5th best team in the conference this year (in a pretty good conference). No shame in that considering where we have been. But, this loss is going to sting for awhile, no doubt about it. Lost opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, it is without a doubt sick to miss that many free throws and fgs in a game like. However, we did, and at some point in your record reflects who you are.

This team (outside of the OSU game) for whatever reason, can't seem to seal the deal in big games. It really hurts because we at hawkeye nation are so hungry for a regular season title and this has been are best team in years to attempt to do it. But, alas we are just going to have to keep waiting.

We are a 3rd, 4th, or 5th best team in the conference this year (in a pretty good conference). No shame in that considering where we have been. But, this loss is going to sting for awhile, no doubt about it. Lost opportunity.

I think you nailed it here. Lost opportunity, particularly when playing the top teams short-handed this past week.

But the good news is Iowa has 2 games coming up that are against teams nowhere near the level of the Michigan schools, even short-handed.

Iowa has proven they can beat the middling teams in the conference. Hopefully they can take care of business and solidify their spot at 3 in the B1G hierarchy. But damn that was a tough loss tonight.

I think you nailed it here. Lost opportunity, particularly when playing the top teams short-handed this past week.

But the good news is Iowa has 2 games coming up that are against teams nowhere near the level of the Michigan schools, even short-handed.

Iowa has proven they can beat the middling teams in the conference. Hopefully they can take care of business and solidify their spot at 3 in the B1G hierarchy. But damn that was a tough loss tonight.

Fran has himself a big challenge to get this team focused again. I'm sure the team is hurting right now. He is going to have to focus them to play for the highest seed possible (Big Ten Tourney and NCAAs). I agree, you have to beat those middle of the pack schools to stay up in the top 3.

We'll likely make the dance but I'm not feeling comfy about it until we hit at least 9 BIG games.

Fran has himself a big challenge to get this team focused again. I'm sure the team is hurting right now. He is going to have to focus them to play for the highest seed possible (Big Ten Tourney and NCAAs). I agree, you have to beat those middle of the pack schools to stay up in the top 3.

Absolutely. They have to keep that their ranking in the teens, low 20s. Basically stay on the 4,5,6 seed line. Very difficult to advance in March when you're taking on a 1 or 2 seed in the round 32.

We missed our free throws. We lose because of that this game. That said,if you're asking about the B1G tourney, nobody wants to play us

I noticed something ie: free throws. On many of the misses...the guys shot quick. Playing quick is one thing. But there's a rhythm to free throw shooting. And so many of our guys shot FTs..fast... like they play. There's no calming rhythm of control...dribble, breath, hold...etc. and shoot. And as such...it's no surprise that most of them banged off of the back rim. Too jacked up...

We missed our free throws. We lose because of that this game. That said,if you're asking about the B1G tourney, nobody wants to play us
Everyone does, they know we will **** away last 5 min leads faster than a Freshman pisses away his first pitcher at Joes.

Most of our losses this year came down to 1 or 2 free throws. I have a fix for that problem. The best basketball advice I ever got came from a hawk receiver back in the early 90’s. My receiver buddy explained it this way:
- Pretend there is an upside down Frisbee in the basket. Shoot for the center of the Frisbee. Odds show that if the ball would hit this virtual Frisbee before hitting the rim the shot has a better than 50% chance of going in regardless of the touch.
- Don’t shoot ‘at the basket’ as that is exactly where the ball will go- somewhere near the basket. Shoot for the very center of said Frisbee. Same philosophy of Nate Kaeding and the Patriot Movie of “Shoot big, aim small’.
- The backboard is for playing HORSE. Shoot for the basket.
- If you get a good look, shoot, and the ball goes where you were aiming then it’s a good shot whether it goes in or not. They won’t all go in. Shoot again and don’t sweat it.
- If the ball doesn’t go where you are aiming then you’re taking bad shots or your mechanics are off. Mechanics require out of game adjustments and practice. Don’t take bad shots.
I posted this same thing years ago during the Haluska/Brunner/Sonderleiter days and they shot their best game by far that entire season. My own experience was immediate as I saw my free throw % go up 15-20% instantly and my from the field go up by 10%. I’d be shocked if it didn’t help anyone who plays competitively or for fun. Best of luck and go hawks!

Baby Steps and it is still progressing forward. It really sucks and we wanted more, but we have to face the fact this program has not been good for a long while. Even great Iowa teams struggled and did not win the conference (Davis's first team).

This team is still not really ready for the big stage. MSU has been there before, just like Michigan last year. They have mental toughness and tough players. We have a lot of good things, but are still missing things.

Looking more like a competitive team in the mold of an average Mr. Davis team....which is still light years ahead of Lick ball.

The problem is we keep lossing because of freethrows and Mcabe playing at the end which has nothing to do with experience.

This is a very talented team underachieving down to the level of an averagly talented TD team.

Most of our losses this year came down to 1 or 2 free throws. I have a fix for that problem. The best basketball advice I ever got came from a hawk receiver back in the early 90’s. My receiver buddy explained it this way:
- Pretend there is an upside down Frisbee in the basket. Shoot for the center of the Frisbee. Odds show that if the ball would hit this virtual Frisbee before hitting the rim the shot has a better than 50% chance of going in regardless of the touch.
- Don’t shoot ‘at the basket’ as that is exactly where the ball will go- somewhere near the basket. Shoot for the very center of said Frisbee. Same philosophy of Nate Kaeding and the Patriot Movie of “Shoot big, aim small’.
- The backboard is for playing HORSE. Shoot for the basket.
- If you get a good look, shoot, and the ball goes where you were aiming then it’s a good shot whether it goes in or not. They won’t all go in. Shoot again and don’t sweat it.
- If the ball doesn’t go where you are aiming then you’re taking bad shots or your mechanics are off. Mechanics require out of game adjustments and practice. Don’t take bad shots.
I posted this same thing years ago during the Haluska/Brunner/Sonderleiter days and they shot their best game by far that entire season. My own experience was immediate as I saw my free throw % go up 15-20% instantly and my from the field go up by 10%. I’d be shocked if it didn’t help anyone who plays competitively or for fun. Best of luck and go hawks!
My HS coach had us shoot where we followed through as if we were putting our hands through the net.
We shot 85%.
Junior High Girls in WDM shoot higher % of FT than the Hawks. The Iowa womens' team shames the men in terms of FTs.

Apparently that was Sparty's plan

Its worked for every ranked team Iowa has faced but one over the last two seasons.

If you have a number by your name Iowa will miss freethrows and give you the win.

I used to think it was luck but now believe its weak minded sloppy players.

It shouldnt even be possible to play every good team close and yet lose every time but once.

I noticed something ie: free throws. On many of the misses...the guys shot quick. Playing quick is one thing. But there's a rhythm to free throw shooting. And so many of our guys shot FTs..fast... like they play. There's no calming rhythm of control...dribble, breath, hold...etc. and shoot. And as such...it's no surprise that most of them banged off of the back rim. Too jacked up...

Agreed, its troubling. Theres a nonchalance to the way this teame approaches the line that is not normal and needs to change.

Latest posts