Maybe a 11 or 12 seed would be the best?

longtimer

right now we look like probably and 8 or 9 seed which makes it very difficult to make it to the next weekend. Of course an 11 seed means you are playing a pretty good team (maybe Iowa State caliber) in the first round but if you can win that first one you aren't looking at Duke next! We have no chance of beating a Duke caliber team. But if we could win the first one we might have a chance to play the second weekend. Iowa and McCaffrey really need to get to the next weekend.

Generally speaking P6 teams are not 12 seeds.

Also as an 11 seed it’s possible you’d have to play in the play in game.

I find these hypothecals rather pointless. Nobody knows what’s going to happen in a tournament. Maybe the supposed 2 seed gets eliminated 1st round. Maybe someone blows out an ankle and Iowa shoots the lights out. Nobody can predict what will happen in a tournament setting, that’s why 80% of America’s brackets are ruined by the end of the 1st weekend.

Get the best seed you can possibly get and see what happens.

Since we apparently can't have a 4,5,6 seed or better (sigh...) then I guess whatever keeps us from playing a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round. That's an almost automatic death sentence.

If you can avoid those top seeds early, the more chance there is of an upset if you can wait till, say, the Sweet 16 before you'd be lined up with those teams.

I find these hypothecals rather pointless. Nobody knows what’s going to happen in a tournament. Maybe the supposed 2 seed gets eliminated 1st round. Maybe someone blows out an ankle and Iowa shoots the lights out. Nobody can predict what will happen in a tournament setting, that’s why 80% of America’s brackets are ruined by the end of the 1st weekend.

I'd add to this that I'd rather Iowa play a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round when Iowa may be able to catch them off guard and looking past the Hawkeyes on a quick 1 day turn-around rather than in the regional semis when they've had nearly a week to prepare.

But of course on the flip side, the longer you can avoid the 1 or 2 seed, the better opportunity there is for someone else to knock them out.

You nailed it though. Nobody knows what is going to happen in a tournament. Logic says defense travels the best. Which means Iowa better start shooting the lights out.

Last edited:
Regardless of seed we're not even sniffing the second round if we don't play with more energy and purpose.

I think our path is easier from 11 than 7-10. But that means I watch Iowa lose the next 3 games. Losing brings me no joy. I want to set our sights on the 6 seed. And take our chances from 7 or 8 if we must.

Edit - It’s hard to imagine but we have played well much of the time this season. Hit some outside shots and win 3 of the next 4 and we could land a 6.

Iowa didn't just play a bad game against a bad team Saturday and lose, they've been playing horribly since the Michigan win but a couple of miracle shots against NW and Rutgers and a furious rally against Indiana on 2/22 have kept this from being a total collapse. What we are seeing is a trend and not just an isolated bad game. There has been nothing to show this trend will be reversed. Iowa will be fortunate to avoid a play-in game at this point unless by some miracle this disaster somehow manages to turn it around. Getting kicked in the nuts by 20 on senior day by Rutgers was telling as far as where this group is right now. I hope I'm wrong obviously but this is my honest assessment of where things are now.

Exactly, this is where your Horizon League team will be pegged.

right now we look like probably and 8 or 9 seed which makes it very difficult to make it to the next weekend. Of course an 11 seed means you are playing a pretty good team (maybe Iowa State caliber) in the first round but if you can win that first one you aren't looking at Duke next! We have no chance of beating a Duke caliber team. But if we could win the first one we might have a chance to play the second weekend. Iowa and McCaffrey really need to get to the next weekend.

What's the difference if you lose to Duke in the 2nd round or the 3rd round?

Iowa didn't just play a bad game against a bad team Saturday and lose, they've been playing horribly since the Michigan win but a couple of miracle shots against NW and Rutgers and a furious rally against Indiana on 2/22 have kept this from being a total collapse. What we are seeing is a trend and not just an isolated bad game. .

Truth

^^ Yea, you shift those 4 games over to the loss column and Iowa looks pretty average and probably on the bubble looking to have to make a run in the BIG tourney to get in. They better focus and win the last two.

Iowa didn't just play a bad game against a bad team Saturday and lose, they've been playing horribly since the Michigan win but a couple of miracle shots against NW and Rutgers and a furious rally against Indiana on 2/22 have kept this from being a total collapse. What we are seeing is a trend and not just an isolated bad game. There has been nothing to show this trend will be reversed. Iowa will be fortunate to avoid a play-in game at this point unless by some miracle this disaster somehow manages to turn it around. Getting kicked in the nuts by 20 on senior day by Rutgers was telling as far as where this group is right now. I hope I'm wrong obviously but this is my honest assessment of where things are now.
We have been playing poorly for a few games now. But I won’t ignore the fact we managed to win s couple of those...difference between in and bubble IMO.

All IMO...The defense has regressed. We have become careless with the ball...like last year resulting in 8 to 10 point swings in the final score. And the threes aren’t falling.

I think we will start making threes again. We can definitely take better care of the ball...be less careless. I don’t know about the defense. But the other two can get us 3 more wins. And that means more points scored putting pressure on the opponent to keep up. Even wide open shots become harder when they have to go in.

I don't think we could ask for a better opponent right now than Wisconsin. They are a team that's not as good as their record. They aren't all that athletic. We have the revenge factor. They shouldn't have any trouble getting up for this game. Its better to be playing a team that's precieved better than us than it would be playing another team that's worse.

Also the last thing this team needs in the opening round of the tournament is to be matched up against a "lesser" opponent that they think look past. The way this team continually assumes they can cruise to victory against bad teams would make for an almost certain upset if they were a 4 or 5 seed. Getting their asses handed to them lately might be a blessing in disguise come post season.

I gotta assume they will play harder come tournament time. Hitting the post season is like starting over.

I'd agree but so will everyone else. And while we don't like to give much credit to mid majors, generally what they lack in size they make up for in speed which we've struggled against as well.

Iowa won't be an 11 seed. Those are generally non power 6 teams, or they are power 6 teams that BARELY made it in and have to play in the first 4 in Dayton...Like Syracuse was last year. Iowa won't be one of those teams.

Sadly I somehow like Iowa's chances against the Badgers and Nebraska this week. Pick up those 2 Q1 wins on the road and suddenly Iowa is probably back to a 6 seed going into the BTT.

Iowa won't be an 11 seed. Those are generally non power 6 teams, or they are power 6 teams that BARELY made it in and have to play in the first 4 in Dayton...Like Syracuse was last year. Iowa won't be one of those teams.

Sadly I somehow like Iowa's chances against the Badgers and Nebraska this week. Pick up those 2 Q1 wins on the road and suddenly Iowa is probably back to a 6 seed going into the BTT.

Last few seasons' 11 seeds:

2018 --> UCLA (21-11), St Bonaventure (25-7), Arizona State (20-11), and Syracuse (20-13).

2017 --> Kansas State (20-13), Wake Forest (19-13), Providence (20-12) and USC (24-9).

2016 --> Vanderbilt (19-13), Wichita State (24-8), Michigan (22-12), and Tulsa (20-11).

Last few seasons' 11 seeds:

2018 --> UCLA (21-11), St Bonaventure (25-7), Arizona State (20-11), and Syracuse (20-13).

2017 --> Kansas State (20-13), Wake Forest (19-13), Providence (20-12) and USC (24-9).

2016 --> Vanderbilt (19-13), Wichita State (24-8), Michigan (22-12), and Tulsa (20-11).

Yes, and like I said, all of those teams in that list were in Dayton for the First Four. Those are the Power 6 teams that back-door'd their way into the tournament, and 2019 Iowa is not a team that fits that description

I'd agree but so will everyone else. And while we don't like to give much credit to mid majors, generally what they lack in size they make up for in speed which we've struggled against as well.

I would rather play a game where both teams are giving 100% effort than play a game like the last one where only one team was.

I don't think we could ask for a better opponent right now than Wisconsin. They are a team that's not as good as their record. They aren't all that athletic. We have the revenge factor. They shouldn't have any trouble getting up for this game. Its better to be playing a team that's precieved better than us than it would be playing another team that's worse.

Also the last thing this team needs in the opening round of the tournament is to be matched up against a "lesser" opponent that they think look past. The way this team continually assumes they can cruise to victory against bad teams would make for an almost certain upset if they were a 4 or 5 seed. Getting their asses handed to them lately might be a blessing in disguise come post season.
Except for the fact that this ranks as probably our third toughest road game of the season.

1. @ MSU - L 90-68
2. @ Pur - L 86-70
3. @ UW - ???
4. @ OSU - L 90-70
5. @ Minny - L 92-87

Latest posts