May

Hooper

How do you guys think May will be used this year. Will he guard the 4 like Lick once indicated or will he be more of a wing guy? My guess is he will spell Gatens for 10 - 15 minutes per game. Based on what I saw this summer he will be hard to keep off the court. I also kind of wonder if he will take some of Devan's minutes?

I'm sure May will benefit from the Archie injury. He should be ahead of him grasping the system while Archie is out. I agree, we won't be able to keep him off the court.

I think we'll see him playing at least 15+ minutes per game. He our best athlete and will be one of the first 2 off the bench if he doesn't crack the starting lineup later in the year. When Lick wants to go small I could see him guarding the 4 with his strength and hops. The other team might have an advantage over him down loan but he will have a tremendous advantage over the other guy on the perimeter.

He'll get more PT. I don't know if he is tall enough for the 4, though. 3 for sure.

I understand he is not really tall enough for the 4 but Lick has mentioned several times that May could be called upon to defend the 4 or the post. I've seen some college teams get away with it. The kid has to be really strong, however and I just don't know if May is or not. It will be interesting to see how his role develops.

Didn't Gatens defend the 4 at times last year when we went small? May is basically Gatens 2.0. **Edit - In terms of physical stature...

May is definitely physical enough to guard the 4 at times. I'd imagine he'll rotate between the 3 and 4 positions.

Does anybody know how good his ball handling and shooting are? I've heard that he still needs to work on his ball handling skills and get a little more consistent from long range. With his frame and athletic ability if he was able to get in the lane consistently he would be a load to stop.

You will want May on the court. Period. He has a mean streak and loves to compete. His cousin is Kevin Kunnert. Remember him?

I don't think we'll see much of May at the 4. We have bigger guys to fill the 4/5 in Cole, Cougill, Fuller, Archie (when healthy) and Brommer. May might wind up at the 4 if the bigs get into foul trouble, but apart from that I think he's better suited to the 3, eating up the minutes Bawinkel used to get.

I don't doubt May's effort or physical ability to guard the 4, but if the opposition puts anyone 6'7" or taller at the 4, I don't know that May's physical gifts can overcome the height disparity. That's where Archie came into play. He's still raw, but Devon was going to be that guy downlow to allow Cole to do other things. Cougill and Brommer will have to be ready to go this year...

Wont Fuller be playing the 4 ??
Yes, I think he starts at the 4 and Cole starts at the 5.
The issue is Cole makes an ideal 4. So we'd need Brommer and Cougill ready to go at the 5 (also reason why Archie's injury hurts). With Cole at the 5, the 4 spot gets thin.

Yea see what you meen, also sound like Cole by developing his 3 pt shot has becime a even better 4 in TL system

Latest posts