Matte finish helmets?

MikeyLikesIowa

I've noticed a lot of teams this year have a matte finish on their helmets. I have to admit that generally I feel that matte finishes looks dull and unrefined, but the more I see teams use them the more I seem to like them.

What do you all think of them? Do you think Iowa's helmets would look good with a matte finish?

I think matte black would be a good look, but it falls under the category of "changing the uniforms" and only crappy teams like ISU do that.

The matte look was great when Mizzou did it a few years ago. Now it's overdone.

KF doesn't have time for color changes besides he might be confused, and forget which team was his. jK But really if fans likes it isn't that really what should drive these things. To me this is. Go issue, do you not like making money another terrible marketing strategy by the UofI AD.

No changing of the uniforms according to all of the old people on the board.

Anyone see Miami tonight? Maybe some of my favorite uniforms I've seen in a very long time.

I must not be picky because I really like the matte finish, but I also really like it when teams where the really shiny/reflective helmets too (Oregon has several of these...shocker!).

Don't change the helmets, they are perfect

Exactly. Our unis are perfect. We've had a few throwback games that were well executed, but the only other detour into alternative uniforms was this ill-fated nonsense that was actually about 20 years ahead of its time:

GetContent1.jpg

I've noticed a lot of teams this year have a matte finish on their helmets. I have to admit that generally I feel that matte finishes looks dull and unrefined, but the more I see teams use them the more I seem to like them.

What do you all think of them? Do you think Iowa's helmets would look good with a matte finish?

Don't we look dull and unrefined enough?

I'm partial to the traditional look; that being said, kids these days love the "flash" and the "Look at me" that these pro combat unis and other bring. I really isn't about the fans in my opinion. I've been told in other posts "The kids don't care about the unis" I thinks that's a short sighted statement. Kids see the Oregon unis and say that's cool. I truly think that being "Sexy" sells the program to some of these blue chip kids. Granted, there are exceptions to this.

Anyone see Oregon State's helmets? They had a white stripe on the facemask that from far away looked like Beaver teeth. Black matte with a black gloss tigerhawk would look sick. And I'm fine with altering the outdated Steeler's uniforms.

I wish we would have worn matte helmets for ISU and Maryland. We'd most likely be undefeated. Oops... forgot Minnesota!

Last edited:
No changing of the uniforms according to all of the old people on the board.

Anyone see Miami tonight? Maybe some of my favorite uniforms I've seen in a very long time.

Guess it depends but in Iowa's case, the helmets rock, so no real point in changing them just for the sake of change.

I'm 37 - guess if you consider that old..

I like the matte finish. I think Iowa could do some cool things with uniform variations. Have one of the best color schemes around.